Is Half Life 2 overrated?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
You seem incredibly ignorant about anything NOT Battlefield. That's fine, but most of your explanations are nonsense. "L4D is a co-op singleplayer game. It'll be hit or miss because of this" is a great hand waving technique for basically admitting that I'm right. Thank you. Yes, it's hit or miss...which is exactly my point. It IS hit or miss. And while it's mostly hit, those misses are not insignificant. Saying it's "mostly a single player game" is meaningless is the actual multiplayer is precisely as I describe.

I only play on PC, and a microphone/voip/in-game chat is always used. Let's dismantle this misconception once and for all. I figured you would've understood after the comment about playing on dial-up on the MSN Gaming Zone, but suffice to say, yes, I never play online with strangers on console, and barely have since the Dreamcast.

Coop against AI is not the same as competitive FPS games. Different audience. Much more casual. See, my sentence wasn't just "hit or miss," it was hit or miss for a REASON. You can't selectively take half of a comment out of context and pretend that the other half didn't exist.

I've already stated that I've enjoyed others outside of BF, including counter-strike, TF2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and even Elite Force oh so many years ago.

Wishing so desperately to feel like your opinion is "right" does not magically make it so. Better go find an echo chamber for that!

"suffice to say, yes, I never play online with strangers on console, and barely have since the Dreamcast."-I have no idea what this is supposed to mean...

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
Coop against AI is not the same as competitive FPS games. Different audience. Much more casual. See, my sentence wasn't just "hit or miss," it was hit or miss for a REASON. You can't selectively take half of a comment out of context and pretend that the other half didn't exist.

I've already stated that I've enjoyed others outside of BF, including counter-strike, TF2, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, and even Elite Force oh so many years ago.

Wishing so desperately to feel like your opinion is "right" does not magically make it so. Better go find an echo chamber for that!

"suffice to say, yes, I never play online with strangers on console, and barely have since the Dreamcast."-I have no idea what this is supposed to mean...

Left 4 Dead features very prominent Versus mode, which is quite competitive and one of the more popular features of the game (although I don't care for it), and ironically enough is where a greater number of insufferable players are.

Regardless, again, there was never any qualification before that we were talking specifically and exclusively about "competitive FPS". That's your own recent goal post moving. I stated previously, that many online FPS and online gaming in general suffers from a number of these problems/issues with other players, and it remains true. You can't just shrug off L4D and say "Well, it's more casual...so that's going to happen", without shrugging off an entire segment of the multiplayer FPS landscape.

How is that the slightest bit difficult to understand? It means exactly what it says: I haven't played online on a console for large amounts of time since the days of the Dreamcast.
You continuously brought up avoiding consoles and playing only on PC to avoid these sorts of problems. I pointed out that I do, in fact, only game online on PC, and haven't taken a console online extensively for years.
I don't know how much clearer to make it.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Left 4 Dead features very prominent Versus mode, which is quite competitive and one of the more popular features of the game (although I don't care for it), and ironically enough is where a greater number of insufferable players are.

Regardless, again, there was never any qualification before that we were talking specifically and exclusively about "competitive FPS". That's your own recent goal post moving. I stated previously, that many online FPS and online gaming in general suffers from a number of these problems/issues with other players, and it remains true. You can't just shrug off L4D and say "Well, it's more casual...so that's going to happen", without shrugging off an entire segment of the multiplayer FPS landscape.

How is that the slightest bit difficult to understand? It means exactly what it says: I haven't played online on a console for large amounts of time since the days of the Dreamcast.
You continuously brought up avoiding consoles and playing only on PC to avoid these sorts of problems. I pointed out that I do, in fact, only game online on PC, and haven't taken a console online extensively for years.
I don't know how much clearer to make it.

1. I already addressed why LFD2 has problems. The primary focus and audience is for the single player coop mode.

2. I qualified it by specifying which games would be more likely to have team oriented players. This was done a long time ago.

3. "You can't just shrug off L4D and say "Well, it's more casual...so that's going to happen", without shrugging off an entire segment of the multiplayer FPS landscape. " I absolutely can. Just like pushing for people to be proactive in using in game voip to promote a better environment, picking a game that is more likely to be conducive to serious teamwork should absolutely be used when picking games!

You can't just expect the world to happen to you. You need to take an intelligent look at things instead of just jumping into games randomly and then whining about it. Try examining why they happen. There is a reason I NEVER have such problems and people like you seem to come across it over and over again. You are clearly doing things wrong. You could choose to either change the way you approach things and have better gaming experiences, as I have, or you could blame everyone but yourself.

4. Telling people to avoid console games, as I have already mentioned multiple times, is a disclaimer that simply needs to be said in these discussions. I've already explained in previous posts that this is to cover the bases.

It seems like you are skipping over/not completely reading my posts before responding. Read all of the posts instead of cherry picking. Most of what you've talked about has already been addressed.

Take initiative and talk to people. People will start spawning on you, listening to you, responding to you, and working with you. It is very easy to do and it will completely change your gaming experiences. Remember, you are working with PEOPLE. You can't expect them to serve you as if you are the center of the world. If you are silent in games, then don't complain that you don't hear much in terms of quality of voip. That is the environment you helped create. When I engage people and communicate, they see that I am interested in teamwork and accomplishing goals, and respond accordingly.

In BF2, it was easier. I'd simply create a squad named "Teamwork" and the people that were interested would join. Don't know why they removed that in future iterations. Just more Dice(now EA) stupidity.

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
Shadow when ever you have to caution people and tell people that they are the ones that have to go out of their way or try harder to keep other people from ruining their game experience then you already lost the discussion.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
Do you guys actually read all the stupid shit people write in these threads? If so you should really do something else more productive.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Shadow when ever you have to caution people and tell people that they are the ones that have to go out of their way or try harder to keep other people from ruining their game experience then you already lost the discussion.

That isn't what was said. Not even close.

" try harder to keep other people from ruining their game experience"- Seriously? Did you even read my posts?

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003

" try harder to keep other people from ruining their game experience"- Seriously? Did you even read my posts?

Nobody reads your posts over 4 lines. You aren't interesting enough for people to waste their time.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Nobody reads your posts over 4 lines. You aren't interesting enough for people to waste their time.

And yet, people respond. If they can't be bothered to read what they are responding to, then they are wasting their time responding.

I am not interesting enough for people to waste their time, yet I've had pages of people wasting their time responding to me. Hell, I already exchanged BF4 info with someone and friended them on Origin : ).

Don't be angry because you don't agree with me.

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
And yet, people respond. If they can't be bothered to read what they are responding to, then they are wasting their time responding.

I am not interesting enough for people to waste their time, yet I've had pages of people wasting their time responding to me. Hell, I already exchanged BF4 info with someone and friended them on Origin : ).

Don't be angry because you don't agree with me.

Shit, I guess you are awesome. Now I just cant believe I didn't see it all along. Wanna go get some ice cream and a hooker together?

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000

Not in that post but every other post you have made on the subject. I am telling you that your debate at this point is useless because you have taken an source of entertainment or relaxation or stress reliever and told them that they have to try harder, hunt down specific servers, curate a decent friends list, and at one point brought up that you admin your BF4 server you play on.

That's not what a lot of people look for in games. You trash SP games and the people that play them. Get defensive when people state the reason's that they don't play your MP games. But you seem to forget the reasons most people play games. Even among hardcore gamers there is a strong desire to keep the gaming experience as casual and simple as possible.

Hooked up to my TV is a Xbone, X360, PS3, and 16GB 4770k R9 270 computer. My steam Library is at 160 games now. What I like to do is jump into a game, it might be CS:GO, might be TF2, or it might be TR, or it might FC3, it might be State of Decay (really great game glad I got it on the steam sale). What I don't want to do is spend hours and even days finding decent servers, I don't want to have to track a bunch of people that I don't know, I don't want to deal with web drama with so called web friends that I befriended up to get into a guild or team to get admin on server. I did that enough during my MMO days. It shouldn't be needed for a game I'll hop in and out of for an hour specially when the end result of that work is only that I get less annoyed when playing with others.

Not saying you can't, not saying that people should use this as a caution against it. Just saying that specially when you are in a thread talking about the experience of playing a specific SP game, that there will be a bunch of people that don't want to go through that kind of work to enjoy their gaming experience. That's not what gaming is to them. It's obvious or should be by now that some people expect something different out of their gaming experience than you do.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Shit, I guess you are awesome. Now I just cant believe I didn't see it all along. Wanna go get some ice cream and a hooker together?

For someone who claims to be so above it all that their time can't be spared to engage with someone else, you sure do spend a lot of time and get worked up over it.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Not in that post but every other post you have made on the subject. I am telling you that your debate at this point is useless because you have taken an source of entertainment or relaxation or stress reliever and told them that they have to try harder, hunt down specific servers, curate a decent friends list, and at one point brought up that you admin your BF4 server you play on.

That's not what a lot of people look for in games. You trash SP games and the people that play them. Get defensive when people state the reason's that they don't play your MP games. But you seem to forget the reasons most people play games. Even among hardcore gamers there is a strong desire to keep the gaming experience as casual and simple as possible.

Hooked up to my TV is a Xbone, X360, PS3, and 16GB 4770k R9 270 computer. My steam Library is at 160 games now. What I like to do is jump into a game, it might be CS:GO, might be TF2, or it might be TR, or it might FC3, it might be State of Decay (really great game glad I got it on the steam sale). What I don't want to do is spend hours and even days finding decent servers, I don't want to have to track a bunch of people that I don't know, I don't want to deal with web drama with so called web friends that I befriended up to get into a guild or team to get admin on server. I did that enough during my MMO days. It shouldn't be needed for a game I'll hop in and out of for an hour specially when the end result of that work is only that I get less annoyed when playing with others.

Not saying you can't, not saying that people should use this as a caution against it. Just saying that specially when you are in a thread talking about the experience of playing a specific SP game, that there will be a bunch of people that don't want to go through that kind of work to enjoy their gaming experience. That's not what gaming is to them. It's obvious or should be by now that some people expect something different out of their gaming experience than you do.

In every other post, I explained exactly what the issue is and how you could easily find yourself in an environment that you want. Instead of reading and understanding, you couldn't comprehend it. Period.

If what you took away from what I said that "try harder to keep other people from ruining their game experience", then you simply weren't paying attention. It seems like you don't really have interest in having great multiplayer experience. You feel more comfortable creating a boogieman and blaming that rather than trying to understand what you are doing wrong. That is your choice. It is disappointing that you completely ignored what I wrote and tried to explain. It is like you took part of it, ignored the rest, and twisted it so you could be the victim. That is exactly why you have the experiences you do.

Then, you go off on a rant where you continue to ignore everything I said, and simply tried to make excuses and blame everyone else for your poor experiences.

"What I don't want to do is spend hours and even days finding decent servers,"- Haha. This is a joke, right? "I don't want to spend hours, even days, reading reviews and finding good games. I just want to close my eyes, buy one, and have it be amazing! Why are the games I pick so bad!?"

With BF4, as I've already explained about 5 times, all you'd need to do is pick any random server, join a squad with people above .0001 kd ratio, and start communicating. They follow 99% of the time. You want them to engage you while you have to do nothing. If you choose to refuse to work as a team and communicate, then it makes sense that others will do the same. I continue to have amazing experiences with team oriented players every single game because I do the opposite of you. Clearly, everyone is to blame but yourself. Therefore, multiplayer games have bad players(but you totally aren't one of them, doing the exact same thing!).

Last edited:

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
In every other post, I explained exactly what the issue is and how you could easily find yourself in an environment that you want. Instead of reading and understanding, you couldn't comprehend it. Period.

If what you took away from what I said that "try harder to keep other people from ruining their game experience", then you simply weren't paying attention. It seems like you don't really have interest in having great multiplayer experience. You feel more comfortable creating a boogieman and blaming that rather than trying to understand what you are doing wrong. That is your choice. It is disappointing that you completely ignored what I wrote and tried to explain. It is like you took part of it, ignored the rest, and twisted it so you could be the victim. That is exactly why you have the experiences you do.

Then, you go off on a rant where you continue to ignore everything I said, and simply tried to make excuses and blame everyone else for your poor experiences.

"What I don't want to do is spend hours and even days finding decent servers,"- Haha. This is a joke, right? "I don't want to spend hours, even days, reading reviews and finding good games. I just want to close my eyes, buy one, and have it be amazing! Why are the games I pick so bad!?"

With BF4, as I've already explained about 5 times, all you'd need to do is pick any random server, join a squad with people above .0001 kd ratio, and start communicating. They follow 99% of the time. You want them to engage you while you have to do nothing. If you choose to refuse to work as a team and communicate, then it makes sense that others will do the same. I continue to have amazing experiences with team oriented players every single game because I do the opposite of you. Clearly, everyone is to blame but yourself. Therefore, multiplayer games have bad players(but you totally aren't one of them, doing the exact same thing!).

3 Things

1. You still have ignore the pressing matter. What you want out of a game specially in regards to your MP playing isn't necessarily what everyone else wants. That's why there are dozen of niches. It's useless to proclaim that their reasoning is all wrong. Because it doesn't matter. Sure some of the excuses when put on the spot might be negated by a game or two within the genre. But disinterest is disinterest. Stop trying to be a used car salesman.

2. You can't compare someone taking the time to make sure something is decent and what they are looking for before spending their money to then expending effort and time to make sure their gaming experience is ruined by others. Besides the fact that it takes about a total of 10 minutes to research a game. It can takes hours and tons of trial by error to find a decent setup. If your goal is to be a decent and competitive FPSer I am sure it will all work out over the course of a introduction to a new game and some games will handle it better. But that isn't the only reason people play those games.

3. You don't know my experiences in MP. I have actually shied away from mentioning them because I don't want to come off as someone recommending that they don't play MP games. I am not trying to do that and have said on several occasions that they have their own strengths and recommend that people be open to them. I have been playing MP and MP FPS's for damn near 20 years now (18). I couldn't even put them into hours played because at different stages it's been all I have played for the most part. I repeat I am not out to get them or trying to establish a boogie man. But you seem incessant on defending your genre by your experiences BF4. That's assumes that your experiences are even normal for BF4. Even if I could assume that, the PC platform as a whole for MP play has the same issues as a console and one game or franchise within the Genre bucking the trend could be comparable to your SP statement about 99% having garbage stories.

The Boogie man in this case is real for the people who are put off by it. So understand for those people them writing of BF4 and the MP FPS genre for that reason is just as acceptable if not more so than you writing off SP games. Because instead of insulting the one major component that people like in their preferred genre, they are admitting that an external component (trolls) ruins the experience for them.

Last edited:

BudAshes

Lifer
Jul 20, 2003
For someone who claims to be so above it all that their time can't be spared to engage with someone else, you sure do spend a lot of time and get worked up over it.

What am I above and how am I getting worked up? Please be specific and you will be graded on your vocabulary.

Status
Not open for further replies.