Is Golden Orb really worth it?

TechMaster

Mar 17, 2000
Should I buy the Golden Orb cooler to cool my FC-PGA P3 550 MHz (soon @ +733 Mhz) [on Iwill Socket II + P3V4X]

Or sould I get something better then the Golden Orb? (ArctiCooler, Alpha...) - regardless of my specific cooling needs.

Any expirience, tips regarding the Golden Orb (or other/better coolers are welcomed! :)

Strafe

Oct 11, 1999
There are combos that will work better like the Alphas at 2cooltek but I bought a golden orb because it takes up half the space of an Alpha and does almost as good a job. It looks like the Arcticooler will win out in all categories but they are still vaporware. You cant get them.

UPDATE : 2cooltek says it's looking like late Sept/Oct for the Arcticoolers, by then they'll need to redesign them for the P4! Christ!

Plester

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999
yes they are great coolers within 1 - 2 degrees of the alphas - you can buy 3-4 of em for the price of 1 alpha.

rastaman

Mar 13, 2000
I LOVE my Golden Orb, I noticed a great decrease in my temp. and it realy is not that loud. It also looks cool, and it does not cover any DIMM slots.

LarryJoe

Platinum Member
Oct 22, 1999
Another vote for the orb here. It looks cool and keeps things cool. Take your time installing it as it in not that intuitive. Follow the directions and then when you are ready for that final twist to lock it in, pull up on the orb slightly while twisting. Also be sure to wear in the mechanism a lot before installing. Do this by twisting it back and forth about 30 times.

LJ

bonkers325

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
yes and no
there are better heatsinks than it
but for the bnag for the buck and performance the orb is good for it

rickon66

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I went from an Alpha to an Orb, the noise reduction alone was worth it. That YS Tech fan was one loud sucker! I also got 2 blocked memory
slots back.

Dexion

Golden Member
Apr 30, 2000
Vote for Alpha. These Golden orbs are being pumped out with really lousy low CFM fans. I rather have louder/more reliable fan that I know would do the job. No room for cooling upgrades: better CFM fan, or Peltier setups. Cool looks doesn't go for me, who really looks at the fan? For me I look at the monitor alot more. ;P I rather trade off noise for better cooling.

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
One vote for the Orb. I ditched an Alpha for it, which says a lot. Which is better? The Alpha, of course. The Orb is smaller & lighter, & mounts a hell of a lot tighter than the Alpha's. Much easier to work with, quieter, & close to the same performance level. Plus they're half the cost of the Alpha, & look cool!

Viper GTS

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The best cooler for the bucks by far !! I have them installed on all my CPU's

Ausm

jose

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'd like to know also, I'm running 933 1.65v (700) w/ a global winn fc cooler. At about 115 - 119F. , I guess a little hot but everything
works fine. Also the heat sink is not hot. I think my mobo might
be reporting an incorrect cpu temp. Asus Cubx.