Is God taking Sides in this War?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: tec699
Originally posted by: Alistar7
Originally posted by: drewshin
He must be, we are winning, and America must be right about most things besides this war, otherwise we woudln't be as prosperous and strong, obviously our endowment from God for being morally superior......

heh heh you guys make me laugh.

hitler? strong and prosperous for about five years? must have been his endowment from god for being morally superior.
saddam? strong and properous for about twenty years, must be morally superior too, until lately, he must have gotten god mad so he's going down.

Iraq was never as prosperous as America, nor as strong, at least Hitler built a stable economy from ruins without VAST oil reserves, Saddam has done NOTHING for his people. Look you can disagree with my observations, but you can't argue with God, why else are we the sole superpower? Why does the worlds economy revolve around american markets? Why do foreigners keep using our internet?

i cant tell if you're joking here. so you're saying that hitler was blessed by god?
you're saying god only blesses countries and not individual people? im not saying iraq has been prosperous, iim saying saddam has been properous and strong for these last twenty years. according to your reasoning, saddam must have protected by god to have lasted this long with all his riches and palaces and surviving assassination attempts.

can you go down the list of highest GDP countries and say that God has blessed the top countries the most?

I can't explain God's reasoning, maybe Hitler was given his time to get back at certain people for killing someones son......;)

Either way its indisputable, God is on our side, otherwise we wouldn't be where we are, the longets lasting democracy in the world, the most prosperous nation, the strongest force ever assembled. We are His chosen ones because we are better than everyone else....

I hope you can tell the joking by now....

Man.. you sure know how to push my buttons. I was enraged! Well anyway.. I'm not really an atheist, but I feel that God should be left out of the picture when Bush is addressing the nation.

As a nontheist, I shudder everytime I hear Bush bless America...but every president for the past 50 odd years has been doing it, so it's not like he's the only one.

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
My friends have nicknamed me the Prime Instigator.....
rolleye.gif

someone posted in here earlier about "God" in the pledge, hes on our $$$ too, why is that allowed?

bonus points for anyone that can tell me WHEN that was added to the pledge and the money...

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Do I think so? No, but then again, I'm agnostic.

If there is a god, he seems to be taking our side, since the kill ratio is tilted just a little bit in our favor

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Well, the pledge "God" part was added during the Eisenhower years, if my memory serves me. As for our currency, I've been under the impression it's been on there as long as we've been minting it. I recall seeing pennies from the 30's with it on there, but I may be mistaken.

drewshin

Golden Member
Dec 14, 1999
I can't explain God's reasoning, maybe Hitler was given his time to get back at certain people for killing someones son......;)

Either way its indisputable, God is on our side, otherwise we wouldn't be where we are, the longets lasting democracy in the world, the most prosperous nation, the strongest force ever assembled. We are His chosen ones because we are better than everyone else....

I hope you can tell the joking by now....

:) i got fooled badly on april fool's day too. heh heh

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Paveslave
Originally posted by: conjur

God does exist, I feel sorry for you
Edited out irrelevant comments ;)

It has to be lonely "thinking" that GOD doesn't exist. Wow, this is your life live it up ...this is all you have ...this is your heaven!

Hmm.. I guess I should belive in a religion that has enslaved and murdered Native Americans becuse the church thought that they were doing gods work. God must be a wonderful person to let all this happen, huh? The white man said "SAVE THE SAVAGES, WERE DOING GOD'S WORK." -bullsh*t

I can show you the destruction and loss of life due to peoples belief in God.

Its not God's fault we're @ssholes sometimes.

DT4K

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2002
He must be, we are winning, and America must be right about most things besides this war, otherwise we woudln't be as prosperous and strong, obviously our endowment from God for being morally superior......

heh heh you guys make me laugh.

hitler? strong and prosperous for about five years? must have been his endowment from god for being morally superior.
saddam? strong and properous for about twenty years, must be morally superior too, until lately, he must have gotten god mad so he's going down.

USA? strong and prosperous for 230 years.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
I would like to know what the world would be like if people stopped beliveing in religion as their guiding life force (maybe for at least one day... please :(

Paveslave

Feb 18, 2003
This post sucks, not a good place to hash out religeous views. I entertained it though in my previous post and I don't regret it. I regret the fact that there are so many non-believers in the world. I'm not one to preach, and I'm certainly not one to judge. Everyone is entitled to their opinions, their views, and their beliefs. That is not just an american right by the way, the right to believe in what you want, act the way you want, and do what you want was given to you by God first.

All non-believers want proof, they want something that can slap them in the face and say.. Hey, I'm God and this is the way It's going to be done. That doesn't happen because God gave us the gift of free will, He gave us a spirit, and that alone gives us our freedom to choose to follow him, or to go astray. Sure, you can kill... you might get away with it, you can rape... you might get away with that too... on earth and in this human body, sure. The final judgment my friends is going to be His, and nothing will go unpunished, nothing will go un-noticed.

Judgment is not here on earth people, you will be able to scathe through the cracks of the justice system, you can get away with murder here. God isn't going to intervene, it's a sorry fact that everyone on earth is just to sinful to elicit God's help. We have fallen too far without God in our hearts and not even the holiest christians today match up to the day when God used to walk around with his prophets. It has always been known to believers that this world will come to an end, but no one knows the day or the hour when that will happen. I am sorry you all want this "proof", but the proof is in the hearts of the beholders. One day we will all be judged, so don't worry who you think is getting away with what.
Here's one for you, I know if you don't believe you probably wont read the bible but you should try it. Read about God's chosen people, and how in the last days what events are going to take place. Read about the ancient city of babylon, and what every ruler of that kingdom has tried to do. Read how the middle east region has been prophesied to see the battles we are witnessing today. Sure, you can argue this fact that religion is just something people thought of thousands of years ago, but just compare with what's in that silly book with what is happening today. Hey, maybe you'll see the connection with what Saddam is trying to do with the ancient city of babylon. Why would this "closet athiest" be rebuilding one of the most powerful cities in the bible, brick by brick. Weird huh? He was until the war at least rebuilding it. God's chosen people are the isrialites by the way, and "babylon" is where the kings of the past have come that fought with them, all the way from the beginning of that time. Isn't it a kwinky-dink that this is what's happening now, again... just like what's in the bibly. Same places, same events!

I'm not preaching either, I am just stating facts to back up why I believe, please don't take this as strike at anyone. Don't get upset, this is only MY reasoning, things I have used to help me believe. My biggest problem with it all is that there are so many reasons to believe, and no good ones to not. Nothing good comes from not believing. This is what changed my life, one day I sat down and opened my heart and mind up to God and asked him to show me a way for me to believe. It was easy and I wasn't expecting to feel anything, but the more I read, and the more I chose to believe, it just became easier. Thank God I did too, knowing God is knowing that this isn't it, this isn't as good as it gets. God is there, He is hear, and He does care. We all sin and there's nothing we can do to change that, that is why God sent his Son to die for us. It wasn't His death that did it either, many people die for a good cause. It was His ressurection that guaranteed us a place in heaven with Him for eternity. No other written, praised, worshiped god on this earth has accomplished that. That is why our God (Jesus) is the one true God. No other religion (christian) can say that about their God. Believe what you want, but the bible is the only book in human history to stand the test of time, and that is a strong fact too.

Anyway... I stopped myself from going into more detail. I hope someday in your travels you sit down and ask the same questions I asked to the same God. You don't need answers for everything, Faith is believing in something you cannot see. Sorry if I offended anyone...seriously didn't mean too. Again, this was not to impose on you, this is my experience and is only explaining how I feel. Thanks

csiro

Golden Member
May 31, 2001

For some reason, people almost always praises God if things are going well and never blame him when things go wrong.

dahunan

Lifer
Jan 10, 2002
Originally posted by: csiro
For some reason, people almost always praises God if things are going well and never blame him when things go wrong.

Voila... That is what is wrong with religion and why they created "The Devil"

Why are religious people so weak and claim "The Earth is the Devils' Domain" Is it so they don't have to try to fix what is wrong here, because they think they are going to this mythical place called Heaven?

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Read about God's chosen people, and how in the last days what events are going to take place.
You do realize Revelations was just something to placate the early Christians? Something to give them hope for the future while they were being persecuted by the Romans? It's not a template for future events.

That is why our God (Jesus) is the one true God. No other religion (christian) can say that about their God. Believe what you want, but the bible is the only book in human history to stand the test of time, and that is a strong fact too.
The Bible is just a book. It was written by men. So you think the Koran is just a bunch of bunk? Do you also not realize that many stories in the Old Testament of the Bible are taken from stories in other religions while the Jews were held as slaves by them (I took Scripture classes in a Catholic high school and this is what was taught). Take the story of Noah and the flood. Lifted from another religion. And the number, 40, just a figure representing a long period of time. Sorry...it did not rain for 40 days and 40 nights. The Jews were not lost in the desert for 40 years.

Sorry if I offended anyone...seriously didn't mean too. Again, this was not to impose on you, this is my experience and is only explaining how I feel. Thanks
Not offended, personally, just don't like people saying I'm wrong and they are right or their religion is the one true religion out of the many in existence. Saying "I follow the one TRUE God and the one TRUE religion" is nothing more than arrogance, imo.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
From the perspective of the Bible, sometimes "God" does take sides. Certainly in the Old Testament it is claimed that "God" had ordered Israel to carry out certain wars and what not.

In the End Time Prophecies it is even stated that "God" has a purpose even for the "Anti-Christ", which is quite surprising seeing as how the "Anti-Christ" is the Devil Incarnate. That purpose is the destruction of "Babylon the Great" or "the Whore of Babylon", a Nation said to be "drunk on the Blood of the Saints", all the nations of the world are said to have partaken with "Her", and that at "Babylon's" destruction the Nations and the Sea Traders would look upon the smoldering ruins of Babylon and lament "her" destruction for they had become rich from trading with "her".

Another interesting and somewhat on topic factoid: Even if a war is supported by "God", it is possible to lose that support. There is a specific war in the Old Testament where "God" ordered a war, the war was carried out, but once the tide of the battle turned the enemy fled. The enemy was pursued and slaughtered in such a fashion that "God" became disgusted and changed sides(kinda...chose to judge those who he had ordered to war).

Is this war blessed by "God"? I dunno, I get rather nervous with the amount of "God" evoking that comes with it though.

Paveslave

Feb 18, 2003

Sorry if I offended anyone...seriously didn't mean too. Again, this was not to impose on you, this is my experience and is only explaining how I feel. Thanks
Not offended, personally, just don't like people saying I'm wrong and they are right or their religion is the one true religion out of the many in existence. Saying "I follow the one TRUE God and the one TRUE religion" is nothing more than arrogance, imo.[/quote]

You're entitled, thanks for the opinion.

On another subject, what is SETI.... is their proof of that, yet you believe... huh? weird! We all choose what we want to believe, and that is life I guess. Say what you want to say, it's only perceived as arrogance to you, not to me. I think those who put their money and time into searching for extra terrestrials or life out there is dumb, but I don't care. I don't think it's arrogance that drives you to invest in it, I don't put that much thought into it really. Who cares really, you believe what you want, I think it's great to have a hobby. Mine just tends to be a little more interesting to me. Besides, there are some good "stories" to read along the way too. When you find the manual for the stargate let me know, I'll want to read that too, hehe.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
Not offended, personally, just don't like people saying I'm wrong and they are right or their religion is the one true religion out of the many in existence. Saying "I follow the one TRUE God and the one TRUE religion" is nothing more than arrogance, imo.

You're entitled, thanks for the opinion. [/quote]
You're welcome.

On another subject, what is SETI.... is their proof of that, yet you believe... huh? weird! We all choose what we want to believe, and that is life I guess. Say what you want to say, it's only perceived as arrogance to you, not to me. I think those who put their money and time into searching for extra terrestrials or life out there is dumb, but I don't care. I don't think it's arrogance that drives you to invest in it, I don't put that much thought into it really. Who cares really, you believe what you want, I think it's great to have a hobby. Mine just tends to be a little more interesting to me. Besides, there are some good "stories" to read along the way too. When you find the manual for the stargate let me know, I'll want to read that too, hehe.
Well, SETI has science behind it. It would be complete and utter arrogance to think that this planet is the only one containing some form of intelligent life. If the chemical mix worked here, why couldn't it work somewhere else in the billions and billions of other solar systems? At least that has a chance of actually proving something. And, in the process, some other amazing discovery just might be in the making!

And, apparently, you do care or you wouldn't have gone to such great lengths to respond to a post of mine.

But, you're entitled. Thanks for the opinion.

SpideyCU

Golden Member
Nov 17, 2000
If there is a God, this isn't the point. Just because people are praying to him asking for victory, that just means *they* think they're right and that's why they're praying for "support". From a religious standpoint, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll answer those prayers if they're wrong.

With that being said, this thread will quickly deteriorate into a pro/anti-religious argument, if it hasn't already.

Paveslave

Feb 18, 2003

"Well, SETI has science behind it. It would be complete and utter arrogance to think that this planet is the only one containing some form of intelligent life. If the chemical mix worked here, why couldn't it work somewhere else in the billions and billions of other solar systems? At least that has a chance of actually proving something. And, in the process, some other amazing discovery just might be in the making!"

lol, that is laughable... You show no proof and your ending statement is "why couldn't it work somewhere else"..... Come on, seriously! Just because there is science behind something "searching" for something that there is a "chemical mix" too doesn't give any leg to stand on. Not that I care... LOL Thanks, I needed a laugh after this thread.

Don't worry, I am not going to post anymore to this thread, don't want to upset the moderators. Besides, I don't want to ruffle any more feathers, it's obvious this is not drawing any more christians besides me. This is more of a place for athiests to yell, hoorah, God is not real and we don't believe, hehe. I seriously am laughing, don't worry about my feelings, they are not hurt :) LOL

freakflag

Diamond Member
Mar 22, 2001
My cat is God. I just asked him if he was on our side and he said "Absolutely. Saddam is a b@ll licker."

Then he told me to post in this stupid thread.

I always do what God tells me, because, I fear his retribution.

EDIT: Now God wants me to feed him some Friskies.

conjur

No Lifer
Jun 7, 2001
"Well, SETI has science behind it. It would be complete and utter arrogance to think that this planet is the only one containing some form of intelligent life. If the chemical mix worked here, why couldn't it work somewhere else in the billions and billions of other solar systems? At least that has a chance of actually proving something. And, in the process, some other amazing discovery just might be in the making!"

lol, that is laughable... You show no proof and your ending statement is "why couldn't it work somewhere else"..... Come on, seriously! Just because there is science behind something "searching" for something that there is a "chemical mix" too doesn't give any leg to stand on. Not that I care... LOL Thanks, I needed a laugh after this thread.

Don't worry, I am not going to post anymore to this thread, don't want to upset the moderators. Besides, I don't want to ruffle any more feathers, it's obvious this is not drawing any more christians besides me. This is more of a place for athiests to yell, hoorah, God is not real and we don't believe, hehe. I seriously am laughing, don't worry about my feelings, they are not hurt :) LOL

So glad you are tickled.

SETI Project

Besides, it's a great way to participate in the largest Distributed Computing effort ever performed. I invite you to check out the Distributed Computing forum here at AnandTech. I plan on switching to Folding@Home once SETI 1 wraps up (Folding@Home is working on determining how proteins fold in the search for cures for diseases such as cancer...something a little more worthwhile, imo).

Oh...and I suppose your religion requires you to believe that life can only exist here on Earth?

RyanM

Platinum Member
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: freakflag
My cat is God. I just asked him if he was on our side and he said "Absolutely. Saddam is a b@ll licker."

Then he told me to post in this stupid thread.

I always do what God tells me, because, I fear his retribution.

EDIT: Now God wants me to feed him some Friskies.

I think this is the most intelligent post in this entire thread.

And I'm not kidding. :)

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Frankly, I rather doubt God is sitting up on His throne waving an American flag.
rolleye.gif

On the other hand, I also sincerely pray that He isn't pissed off at us and readying the fire and brimstone. ;)

glugglug

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2002
Originally posted by: conjur
Read about God's chosen people, and how in the last days what events are going to take place.

Sorry...it did not rain for 40 days and 40 nights.

I have personally witnessed it raining continuously 24/7 for over 20 consecutive days in Tampa. I'd say its a safe bet that at some point in the last 5000 years someone has seen it actually go for 40 straight days somewhere on this Earth.