Is Gametap worth the subscription?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Anyone have it? Do you use it enough to justify your monthly subscription? How quickly do they upload current/recent games?

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
I have it. I bought the $60/year subscription. So assuming I've played even 2 games on it, that would be 2 30 dollar games. But infact, yes I use it quite a bit.

- I use it to play Street Fighter series and King of Fighter series online against other people
- URU Live
- Disciples 2
- Blood Rayne 2

and a bunch of other games I'd skipped for various reasons. I still need to get to the sam and max episodes and Jericho. The guys at SomethingAwful forums actually made a playlist that you can see through the gametap website of alot of the good games. I can't link to any of this from work so maybe I will update my post from home.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I plan to get it after I finish some of the unplayed games I already own.

Overlord, Jericho, and the new Tomb Raider seem worth an install, and I've never played Far Cry or Icewind Dale 2.

timbur

Feb 9, 2005
GameTap is very much worth it - as long as you don't want to run it on a 64-bit Windows. I have used it much less since upgrading, and it is one of the reasons I might switch back to 32-bit Windows. I can still play non-Windows arcade games on it, but it's not the same.

But, besides the 64-bit issue, it is a great deal.

Plus, like Steam or TotalGamingNetwork or other online delivery platforms, I can use my 1 Gametap subscription on my many computers, just not at the same time. (I think they have guest logins, but my s.o. has not used hers.)

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
What happens on 64-bit windows w/ GameTap because I am moving to Vista64? Also, are you referring to XP64 or Vista64?