Is FiOS worth it?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Originally posted by: hdeck
the only way you will improve you ping to servers in games like CS is if you get on better pipelines (ie connect through a T1 network or w/e, like a college dorm/apartment). you can have 50mb internet and your ping isn't going to improve much over 5mb internet.

and while we are on the subject, you aren't going to notice any difference in performance playing cs with 80 ping vs. 40 ping. if you think you are, you're just making excuses for why you are dying/not killing the opponent.

In FPS games, 80ms, 50ms and <30ms are all pretty major jumps. <30ms is approaching lan play. Although, you do have a bit of a point when talking about CS, mainly because Valve has always had some freaky ass network code, so hit boxes are more like games of dice.

It is also worth mentioning, latency is nothing without a ~0% packetloss ratio.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: chizow
Originally posted by: SonicIce
Like others have said; it would upgrade your bandwidth, not your latency. And 5MB is plenty for almost any game.

I'd want to get FIOS more for reliability reasons. Comcast has been absolutely horrible lately as I'm guessing more people in my area have signed up and are sucking up the shared bandwidth while making it harder to send signals upstream. Cable just sucks like that. I've noticed my upstream power level has been sitting anywhere from 50-53 dBmV so there's not much margin for error. Any higher than ~54 dBmV falls out of range and tells my modem to reset itself. My modem is off a home run off a single split after the drop, so its not like I can do anything else to clean up the signal.

Same here. I want FIOS. Not to mention that I hate all of this crap going on right now regarding Comcast and how they are discriminating against the users which eat a lot of bandwidth. Even if Verizon ends up following the same suit, at least I can ditch Comcasts terrible CS.

evident

Lifer
Apr 5, 2005
i am getting fios installed tomorrow. are there any privacy issues with verizon like there are with ATT, and other ISPs?

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
Originally posted by: skace
Originally posted by: hdeck
the only way you will improve you ping to servers in games like CS is if you get on better pipelines (ie connect through a T1 network or w/e, like a college dorm/apartment). you can have 50mb internet and your ping isn't going to improve much over 5mb internet.

and while we are on the subject, you aren't going to notice any difference in performance playing cs with 80 ping vs. 40 ping. if you think you are, you're just making excuses for why you are dying/not killing the opponent.

In FPS games, 80ms, 50ms and <30ms are all pretty major jumps. <30ms is approaching lan play. Although, you do have a bit of a point when talking about CS, mainly because Valve has always had some freaky ass network code, so hit boxes are more like games of dice.

It is also worth mentioning, latency is nothing without a ~0% packetloss ratio.

no it's not. lan play for CS is less than 10ms, usually closer to 5. the difference between 80 and 40 is no very noticeable at all.

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Well, CS is fairly slow paced. I know from experience that a 40ms difference is huge in something like UT, for example.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
I wish FiOS was available here. I'm only 50 miles from the original testing locations (Northern VA), but I doubt we'll get it for years and years.

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
i completely disagree with most of the people in here....40 vs 80 ms is a HUGE difference to me in cs...80 feels muddy and laggy 40 is smooth and decent and under 20 is perfect

idiotekniQues

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2007
FIOS is 1/4 mile from me and supposed to be here in 1 month :D

i had optimum online till i moved to jersey city last month. optimum kills comcast in ping and download/upload speeds - especially upload.

switchin to FIOS as soon as it is around.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
I wish FiOS was available here. I'm only 50 miles from the original testing locations (Northern VA), but I doubt we'll get it for years and years.

I waited 2 years from the time the town next to me got theirs. :( Happy now though.

toughwimp11

May 8, 2005
do pings at that low level really make that big of a difference? I've had pings of 10 and pings of 70 and both played the same. Maybe its just my unexperienced eyes

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
Originally posted by: toughwimp11
do pings at that low level really make that big of a difference? I've had pings of 10 and pings of 70 and both played the same. Maybe its just my unexperienced eyes

they play VERY differently. i squared off against a guy in CS who had a 10 ping, while i had a 90 ping. He skipped on my screen several times because he was literally and shooting faster than me. It was very frustrating.

OP: let us know how the change in ping works out.

hdeck

Lifer
Sep 26, 2002
maybe he was skipping around because you weren't using the proper rate and interp settings? ping isn't the only thing that affects your ability to hit people in hl games.