Question Is EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition GAMING worth it? or get another model?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
I currently found a person willing to sell me an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti Black Edition for $400. That's a pretty good deal if you ask me. However I was wondering if it was worthwhile spending an extra $80 to $100 for a different model or not? I know the FTW3 is one of the top tier models for the 1080 Ti but they cost around $550 on eBay, that's $150 more than the Black Edition.

Should I go ahead and just buy the EVGA 1080 Ti Black Edition before he sells it? I'll be upgrading from an RTX 2060 I don't care at all for RTX Technology by the way and I'll be using it just for gaming at 1080p.

Appreciate the input guys.
Thanks

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
- As bad as just running the game at the higher resolution. Its definitely "expensive" from a performance perspective (all these other AA modes are just trying to get as close to SSAA image quality with less of a performance hit), but if the difference is 200 fps vs 100 fps and the best your monitor can do is 60hz (for simplicity's sake, 60 FPS) then why not do it?
Oh yeah for sure if I am topping 200 and getting 100 with DSR is worth enabling for sure. My Monitor max refresh rate is 144hz anyway. Gonna have to try it out when I get my new GPU on Monday.

I looked it up online. You have to enable it through the Nvidia control panel for the specific game right? you think this option is available for all games?

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
1080Ti is still a great, card, and you got a good deal. Only worthy upgrade will likely be the 5800XT or whatever they call the big navi, when out. Hopefully cheaper than 2080Ti, which is also an upgrade, though $$$. I suspect it will be Navi cards to be cheaper. Well, time will tell.

FYI, I was considering getting a 5700XT Nitro+ model for kicks and the new Sapphire Trixx boost, but I decided to wait for the next cards and keep using my 1080Ti now.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
1080Ti is still a great, card, and you got a good deal. Only worthy upgrade will likely be the 5800XT or whatever they call the big navi, when out. Hopefully cheaper than 2080Ti, which is also an upgrade, though $$$. I suspect it will be Navi cards to be cheaper. Well, time will tell.

FYI, I was considering getting a 5700XT Nitro+ model for kicks and the new Sapphire Trixx boost, but I decided to wait for the next cards and keep using my 1080Ti now.
great! appreciate the positive feedback. I think I will be very happy with the 1080ti specially coming from an RTX 2060. I was looking at the 5700XT's and comparing them to the GTX 1080ti but I rather stay with my 1080 ti, and there is also a small FPS performance boost as well with the 1080ti. The only other upgrade I could make is the RTX 2070 Super I saw one selling for like $480 free shipping on eBay. But both the 2070 super and 1080ti are almost on par with the 2070 super slightly out performing the 1080ti so again no real need to for the upgrade for few extra Dollars.

RTX 2080 is overkill for 1080p. I just plan on playing COD WW2, the new Modern Warfare and some Rust that will probably be about it lol. Aside from some random game I might play every ones in a while.
Ohh and I'll be playing Assassins Creed Odyssey since its $15 for a month with Uplay +. But other than that its all I need the card for and I am gaming at 1080p so yeah its perfect.

Now RTX 2080 might be an option in the future if I wanted to start doing 1440p gaming but I am happy with 1080p for now.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Oh yeah for sure if I am topping 200 and getting 100 with DSR is worth enabling for sure. My Monitor max refresh rate is 144hz anyway. Gonna have to try it out when I get my new GPU on Monday.

I looked it up online. You have to enable it through the Nvidia control panel for the specific game right? you think this option is available for all games?

-Its available to enable "globally" in all games through the NV CP, but you have to manually set the resolution to 1440p or 4k in each game after the setting is enabled (normally the game wouldn't give you the option to set the resolution higher than your monitor's native res).

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
-Its available to enable "globally" in all games through the NV CP, but you have to manually set the resolution to 1440p or 4k in each game after the setting is enabled (normally the game wouldn't give you the option to set the resolution higher than your monitor's native res).
Gotcha! thanks

DamZe

May 18, 2016
great! appreciate the positive feedback. I think I will be very happy with the 1080ti specially coming from an RTX 2060. I was looking at the 5700XT's and comparing them to the GTX 1080ti but I rather stay with my 1080 ti, and there is also a small FPS performance boost as well with the 1080ti. The only other upgrade I could make is the RTX 2070 Super I saw one selling for like $480 free shipping on eBay. But both the 2070 super and 1080ti are almost on par with the 2070 super slightly out performing the 1080ti so again no real need to for the upgrade for few extra Dollars.

RTX 2080 is overkill for 1080p. I just plan on playing COD WW2, the new Modern Warfare and some Rust that will probably be about it lol. Aside from some random game I might play every ones in a while.
Ohh and I'll be playing Assassins Creed Odyssey since its $15 for a month with Uplay +. But other than that its all I need the card for and I am gaming at 1080p so yeah its perfect.

Now RTX 2080 might be an option in the future if I wanted to start doing 1440p gaming but I am happy with 1080p for now.

Overkill can be hard to define, I would say if you play 1080 high refresh then a 2080 makes sense. Other then that your 1080Ti should be a monster at that resolution for some time to come. Fingers crossed that nVidia doesn't go with some new architecture that renders Pascal/Turing obsolete as Maxwell did to Kepler.

EpicSurvivor

Golden Member
Aug 14, 2012
Overkill can be hard to define, I would say if you play 1080 high refresh then a 2080 makes sense. Other then that your 1080Ti should be a monster at that resolution for some time to come. Fingers crossed that nVidia doesn't go with some new architecture that renders Pascal/Turing obsolete as Maxwell did to Kepler.
Yeah good point. I agree. I just read that Nvidia is coming out with new GPU's next year. Can't wait to see what that's about.