Is EVGA G3 series Power Supply Haswell Rated?

Jan 31, 2017
Hello! I am going to order an EVGA 750 G3 Power Supply. Is it good and Haswell rated (C6 States)? I didn't see any rating in the official site.

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Hello! I order an EVGA 750 G3 Power Supply. Is it good and Haswell rated (C6 States)? I didn't see any rating in the official site.

Yes, the EVGA G3 series was just released a couple months ago, and it is definitely Haswell ready as those CPUs were released in 2013.

You have nothing to worry about with the G3 PSU, and you will be good to go for a long time.

Reactions: MongGrel

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Also, you can use a not-Haswell-ready PSU with a Haswell processor just fine. It's just marketing.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
Hello! I am going to order an EVGA 750 G3 Power Supply. Is it good and Haswell rated (C6 States)? I didn't see any rating in the official site.

The G3 uses DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V, so supporting Haswell and newer sleep modes won't be an issue.

Yes, the EVGA G3 series was just released a couple months ago, and it is definitely Haswell ready as those CPUs were released in 2013.

You have nothing to worry about with the G3 PSU, and you will be good to go for a long time.

WHEN a PSU was released has nothing to do with compatibility. It has to do with the topology the PSU uses. There's still brand new PSUs being released that are group regulated and fail to return from C6 and C7 sleep states. Fortunately, the G3 isn't one of them.

Also, you can use a not-Haswell-ready PSU with a Haswell processor just fine. It's just marketing.

No it's not. Stop guessing and do research. Haswell compatibility has to do with the PSU's ability to recover from the deep sleep states that the Haswell and newer CPUs go into. With the drastic drop in +12V load, the PSU often thinks that the motherboard is in standby and not sleep and will not wake up without cycling the power. Any PSU that has DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V will work with C6 and C7 sleep states. Some independently regulated PSUs will, but not most. Group regulated PSUs do not. Of course, one can always disable the deep sleep states in the BIOS, but that wouldn't be a very green thing to do. ;)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
WHEN a PSU was released has nothing to do with compatibility. It has to do with the topology the PSU uses. There's still brand new PSUs being released that are group regulated and fail to return from C6 and C7 sleep states. Fortunately, the G3 isn't one of them.

True. I guess I only recommend PSUs that are well reviewed by your site, and I have always assumed Oklahoma Wolf would mention a shortcoming like that in the PSU review.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
No it's not. Stop guessing and do research. Haswell compatibility has to do with the PSU's ability to recover from the deep sleep states that the Haswell and newer CPUs go into. With the drastic drop in +12V load, the PSU often thinks that the motherboard is in standby and not sleep and will not wake up without cycling the power. Any PSU that has DC to DC for the +3.3V and +5V will work with C6 and C7 sleep states. Some independently regulated PSUs will, but not most. Group regulated PSUs do not.

Well look at you go :). I have done the research, thank you very much. Stop presuming.

I'll repeat myself: "Haswell-ready" is just a marketing term. It does not mean that a power supply that is not advertised as Haswell-ready is actually incompatible with Haswell processors, which was my point. As you just pointed out, the Haswell sleep states are optional:

Of course, one can always disable the deep sleep states in the BIOS, but that wouldn't be a very green thing to do. ;)

Ignoring the silly implication of Haswell sleep states having anything to do with being "green" (maybe you were joking?)... The sleep states are all fine and dandy for laptops which are battery powered, but for desktops, saving a tiny amount of idle power is utterly and completely irrelevant from any usability perspective. Also, as far as my research goes, typically Haswell motherboards have the sleep states off by default precisely for out-of-the-box support for power supplies that are not so-called "Haswell-ready".

StrangerGuy

Diamond Member
May 9, 2004
Well look at you go :). I have done the research, thank you very much. Stop presuming.

I'll repeat myself: "Haswell-ready" is just a marketing term. It does not mean that a power supply that is not advertised as Haswell-ready is actually incompatible with Haswell processors, which was my point. As you just pointed out, the Haswell sleep states are optional:

Ignoring the silly implication of Haswell sleep states having anything to do with being "green" (maybe you were joking?)... The sleep states are all fine and dandy for laptops which are battery powered, but for desktops, saving a tiny amount of idle power is utterly and completely irrelevant from any usability perspective. Also, as far as my research goes, typically Haswell motherboards have the sleep states off by default precisely for out-of-the-box support for power supplies that are not so-called "Haswell-ready".

You do have a point if OP is using an existing non Haswell-ready PSU, or if Haswell-ready new PSUs have significantly markups or poor selection versus otherwise.

But its not, so I don't get your pointless red herring about power savings.

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999

So you're just bragging that you're smarter than the average bear.

You'd be quite surprised how many people that aren't as brilliant as you buy cheaper PSUs that are group regulated and pair them with motherboard/CPUs that support the deeper sleep states come back to forums and complain that their computers don't wake up, but are actually "off".

So essentially, "marketing term" applies to anything that you are already aware of and assume that everyone else should be as well. Got it.

Jan 31, 2017
Pals, thank you all for the replies. :) Unfortunately, EVGA PSUs are not available at my place. :( Corsair, Cooler Master and Seasonic (Barely available) are available here. So, please suggest me a best/excellent Power Supply which is more than enough for my PC at a price of $95-100. I am willing to buy a Corsair RMx or HXi series but I've heard some negative feedbacks on some of the forums and I think I shouldn't believe all of them. I really want my PC to get a very clean power to all of my components and I think only Gold/Platinum rated can do that.

Here are my PC specifications:
Intel Core i5-6500
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Motherboard
ASUS STRIX GTX 1060 6GB OC Edition
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (8x2) 2133 MHz
One ASUS DVD Optical Drive
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Case
4 Case fans installed

I don't do any overclocking at all.

Edit: Alright, I have checked up 'JonnyGURU's' review on Corsair RM750x which shows about its excellent voltage regulation, ripple suppression and performance. So, I think I can obviously go for it. I have also checked Cooler Master's V Series and they are also good! But, I choose Corsair.

Last edited:

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
So you're just bragging that you're smarter than the average bear.

You think I was bragging? Ok...

You'd be quite surprised how many people that aren't as brilliant as you buy cheaper PSUs that are group regulated and pair them with motherboard/CPUs that support the deeper sleep states come back to forums and complain that their computers don't wake up, but are actually "off".

How many, then? I'm genuinely interested to know, just in case you assume something else.

So essentially, "marketing term" applies to anything that you are already aware of and assume that everyone else should be as well. Got it.

I haven't made any assumptions here, just stating a fact that it's a marketing term (meaning the point is mainly to sell more power supplies) and that non-haswell ready PSU's aren't actually incompatible with Haswell CPU's and motherboards. You, on the other hand, are constantly making assumptions - about whether I've done my research, that I'm bragging, what I'd be surprised about, what I assume or don't assume. I think you ought to just take a step back and reread my posts with some more thought and less assuming.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
You do have a point if OP is using an existing non Haswell-ready PSU, or if Haswell-ready new PSUs have significantly markups or poor selection versus otherwise.

I get the feeling that we're not quite on the same page. What do you think my point is? I'm happy to explain what my point is, in case it's unclear.

But its not, so I don't get your pointless red herring about power savings.

I don't understand what you're referring to here. What red herring about power savings..?

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
Pals, thank you all for the replies. :) Unfortunately, EVGA PSUs are not available at my place. :( Corsair, Cooler Master and Seasonic (Barely available) are available here. So, please suggest me a best/excellent Power Supply which is more than enough for my PC at a price of $95-100. I am willing to buy a Corsair RMx or HXi series but I've heard some negative feedbacks on some of the forums and I think I shouldn't believe all of them. I really want my PC to get a very clean power to all of my components and I think only Gold/Platinum rated can do that.

Here are my PC specifications:
Intel Core i5-6500
ASUS MAXIMUS VIII RANGER Motherboard
ASUS STRIX GTX 1060 6GB OC Edition
Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB (8x2) 2133 MHz
One ASUS DVD Optical Drive
WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200 RPM
Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-03 Case
4 Case fans installed

I don't do any overclocking at all.

Edit: Alright, I have checked up 'JonnyGURU's' review on Corsair RM750x which shows about its excellent voltage regulation, ripple suppression and performance. So, I think I can obviously go for it. I have also checked Cooler Master's V Series and they are also good! But, I choose Corsair.

Yeah, you can't really go wrong with an RMx. Excellent units (and generally the same can be said for HX units). Really the only downside for me (and this is a very minor one) is that there's no ECO mode switch like on EVGA G2/G3 units - you can't choose to set the fan spinning at all times, the unit is semipassively cooled and that's that.

However I should point out that 750 watts is way, way more than your PC needs. You would be more than fine with a 400 watt unit as i5-6500 + GTX 1060 use less than 200 watts combined. Can find the RM550x for a good amount less money than the RM750x? That would be a good middle ground between "sufficient" and "overkill", allowing for any realistic graphics and CPU upgrade in the future.

I really want my PC to get a very clean power to all of my components and I think only Gold/Platinum rated can do that.

Just a little nitpicking here: efficiency rating itself doesn't actually say anything about how clean the power is. Efficiency is just efficiency - power comes in as AC, power goes out as DC, and the less the unit wastes energy in that conversion, the higher the efficiency.

There are plenty of Bronze rated units and even plain 80Plus rated ones that output cleaner power than some Gold or Platinum rated units. Corsair Vengeance (available mainly in Europe I think) units are pretty good examples of Bronze rated PSU's that totally wreck some of the cheaper Gold/Platinum units.

But it is true that as a rule, Gold/Platinum units tend to be better performing, probably because they target a higher price bracket. Maybe @jonnyGURU can say if there's some technical reason that circuitry that's capable of Gold/Platinum efficiency would also mean tighter voltage regulation or lower ripple, I'm not entirely sure.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2017
Yeah, you can't really go wrong with an RMx. Excellent units (and generally the same can be said for HX units). Really the only downside for me (and this is a very minor one) is that there's no ECO mode switch like on EVGA G2/G3 units - you can't choose to set the fan spinning at all times, the unit is semipassively cooled and that's that.

However I should point out that 750 watts is way, way more than your PC needs. You would be more than fine with a 400 watt unit as i5-6500 + GTX 1060 use less than 200 watts combined. Can find the RM550x for a good amount less money than the RM750x? That would be a good middle ground between "sufficient" and "overkill", allowing for any realistic graphics and CPU upgrade in the future.

Just a little nitpicking here: efficiency rating itself doesn't actually say anything about how clean the power is. Efficiency is just efficiency - power comes in as AC, power goes out as DC, and the less the unit wastes energy in that conversion, the higher the efficiency.

There are plenty of Bronze rated units and even plain 80Plus rated ones that output cleaner power than some Gold or Platinum rated units. Corsair Vengeance (available mainly in Europe I think) units are pretty good examples of Bronze rated PSU's that totally wreck some of the cheaper Gold/Platinum units.

But it is true that as a rule, Gold/Platinum units tend to be better performing, probably because they target a higher price bracket. Maybe @jonnyGURU can say if there's some technical reason that circuitry that's capable of Gold/Platinum efficiency would also mean tighter voltage regulation or lower ripple, I'm not entirely sure.

Oops, I'm scared! I ordered a Corsair RM750x because of the price and future upgrades in mind. Will that more wattage PSU hurt my PC? O_O

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Oops, I'm scared! I ordered a Corsair RM750x because of the price and future upgrades in mind. Will that more wattage PSU hurt my PC? O_O

Oh yeah. Connecting a larger than needed PSU will blow out your flux capacitor. ;)

You will be fine. Many people use larger than needed PSU. For example, I have a 650w unit and I barely go over 200w. I only bought the bigger unit because for some reason it was cheaper than the smaller unit on the day I ordered it.

Your components will only take what they need. It's a gold rated unit, so it will still be pretty effecient at low load levels.

Reactions: lehtv
Jan 31, 2017
Oh yeah. Connecting a larger than needed PSU will blow out your flux capacitor. ;)

You will be fine. Many people use larger than needed PSU. For example, I have a 650w unit and I barely go over 200w. I only bought the bigger unit because for some reason it was cheaper than the smaller unit on the day I ordered it.

Your components will only take what they need. It's a gold rated unit, so it will still be pretty effecient at low load levels.

I have seen the efficiency graph on the official Corsair Page of 'RM750x' and calculated the estimated wattage of my PC using 'Cooler Master PSU calculator'. It estimates 305W load and that's 40% load approximately on my PSU (Calculation wrong? :p). According to the efficiency graph, that PSU can be 87-89% efficient! I hope that's a good thing. :) So, no worries right?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I have seen the efficiency graph on the official Corsair Page of 'RM750x' and calculated the estimated wattage of my PC using 'Cooler Master PSU calculator'. It estimates 305W load and that's 40% load approximately on my PSU (Calculation wrong? :p). According to the efficiency graph, that PSU can be 87-89% efficient! I hope that's a good thing. :) So, no worries right?

Nope, none at all. The difference in slightly lower efficiency is insignificant. Plus, those PSU calculators always over-estimate. With the components you listed above, you will likely never go above 220w unless you are running synthetic benchmarks or something designed to stress your PC.

Jan 31, 2017
Nope, none at all. The difference in slightly lower efficiency is insignificant. Plus, those PSU calculators always over-estimate. With the components you listed above, you will likely never go above 220w unless you are running synthetic benchmarks or something designed to stress your PC.

Good to hear there are no worries then. :)

Reactions: UsandThem

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Not really. It means that the PSU was designed to support Haswell (and newer) Intel CPU's low-power states, which cause the processor to draw very, very, small amounts of power from the +12V line.

If you don't have a "Haswell Ready" PSU, some motherboards have an option to switch on a dummy load, to draw extra power from the +12V line, in order for the load to not drop below a few watts.

This may be unnecessary if you are using a 3.5" HDD, which draws a few watts from the +12V line, or a case fan or two, which also draws a few watts from the +12V line.

The issue, is that many (older, non-"Haswell Ready") PSUs, have a minimum necessary power draw on the +12V line, otherwise, they shut down or cannot regulate their power flow properly.

If those older PSUs are paired up with a Haswell CPU, WITHOUT a 3.5" HDD and/or case fan, thus, the CPU is really the only thing drawing from the +12V line, then when the CPU goes into an ultra-low power state, the PSU goes out of regulation, and either the PC crashes, or the PSU shuts down and powers it off.

Can be a real pain.

Reactions: tamz_msc