Is ECS suck?

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
My friend insistes his $57 ECS (Anyone have the model number?) board from newegg is better than my Asus RAID borad A7V266-e becasue "it looks cooler" WTF?? Explain to him his board blows, mine rules. FIGHT!

sohcrates

Diamond Member
Sep 19, 2000
actually, his boards pretty good for the Price

but last time i checked it only has like 2 pci slots doesn't it?

also, the onboard stuff is pretty cheap (i.e. peripherals)

of course...the BOARD is pretty cheap (i.e. inexpensive). heheh

does that make you feel better?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Oh, that's right, your board scores 30 more points in those synthetic benchies! :D

He's probably laughing because he has just as good of system performance for $100 or so less :D And doesn't have to handle the VIA headaches :)

ShadowFox

Nov 26, 2001
lol, if he doesnt have a window in his case then how often does he look inside??? explain that stability, features and quality are what count:)

BlvdKing

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
I have an ECS K75SA and it is a really nice, cheap, and easy to setup board. I might buy another one when the ECS K7S6A comes out; it should have multiplier adjustment and support for DDR 333.

flood

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 1999

<< but last time i checked it only has like 2 pci slots doesn't it? >>

It has 5.
Mine runs beautifully - 80% load most of the time, and i have it at ~2weeks uptime.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
BlvdKing wrote:

"I might buy another one when the ECS K7S6A comes out; it should have multiplier adjustment and support for DDR 333."

Yep, ECS has listened to the howls for a more 'overclocker friendly' board. Not that the K7S5A isn't; I'm running several well overclocked now. But the K7S6A will have multiplier, vCore, and FSB adjustments. As well as PC2700 native support. It'll be interesting to see the performance of SiS 745, in particular the memory controller.

xes

Dec 24, 2000
I finally saw the light and built my first amd system 3 days ago, using an ECS K75SA and an XP 1500. I just slotted the new mobo and cpu in place of my Abit bx6 rev 2 P3 750, and ......it worked. No fuss, no drama, just a working, fast, stable pc. I am impressed.I didnt even need to do a clean install of Windows Me.

Budman

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ECS is not suck,at least not the ECS K7S5A.

The asus is 2X the price & no faster,i got no time or money to waste just on a brand name.

BlvdKing

Golden Member
Jun 7, 2000
Yea, the SiS 745 should be a real screamer. If ECS keeps the price low for the K7S6A then I will have to cave - my unlocked AXIAR TBird sits in a KT133 with no multiplier adjustment. What a shame. :( That give me an excellent reason to upgrade though. :D

ViperMagic

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
Ok, if ECS isnt suck, whats with all the people trashing ECS around here? lke in that "what compaies do you shun" thread?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Ok, if ECS isnt suck, whats with all the people trashing ECS around here? lke in that "what compaies do you shun" thread? >>

Well, I just had some SERIOS issues with my ECS board...more than I have EVER had with another motherboard. I used both a reference SiS735 motherboard and an ECS K7S5A and BOTH exhibited reboot, blue screen, and stability issues. I first used a 300W power supply, and then a 350W power supply and the problems didn't go away. I got fed up, b/c I don't have time to keep troubleshooting.

I popped in a shuttle motherboard using the same hardware components and had no problems from Day 1. So I won't be using ECS again for a LONG time.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
ViperMagic wrote:

"Ok, if ECS isnt suck, whats with all the people trashing ECS around here? lke in that "what compaies do you shun" thread?"

Because people have a tendency to "shun" something (company or product) which doesn't work for them. You could say that I have a habit of "shunning" VIA chipsets; but I've had an incredible amount of frustration with them over at least 10 different mainboards. Does that mean they're all "suck" and nothing works? Of course not. Some people just end up with a bad board. Some people get unlucky twice. That's true with any board.

foofoo

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2001
i also had bad experiences with 2 ecs k7s5a motherboards and yes, this means that i'm probably not going to be buying any ecs products for a while. i guess that is the definition of shun. it's really just luck,
bad ecs mb = 2
bad asus mb = 0
bad iwill mb = 0
bad shuttle mb = 0
bad epox mb = 0
bad abit mb = 1
bad fic mb = 1
out of some years of computer building. this is just my personal experience so i balk a bit at abit and ecs. other people have different experiences and form different lists. in answer to your question, if you get bad ecs mbs then yes, ecs is suck.