Is Costco's 90 day TV return policy no questions asked?

Status
Not open for further replies.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Yes/No?

I was thinking of buying one of the TVs from Cotsco, however, I'm not going to be the main user of the TV. the main users will be playing plenty of Ps3 and watching Bluerays. I basically want them to decide if its good enough because I know I'll be pretty much satisfied with whatever.

I know costco has a 90 day return policy, but I'd love to know the specifics bceause it would be great to try it out and keep it if meets the needs of my housemates. Does that 90 day return policy apply to 'exchanges', or full on returns?

necro-bumped. Locked. -DrPizza

Last edited by a moderator:

Bignate603

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
I think you could do it but it would be an absolute douchebag thing to do. People taking advantage of return policies are the reason why they've been getting so much worse in the last few years.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
Not 100% sure, but I think you get costco credit, which doesn't expire, and can be used for anything at costco and I think it is no questions asked.

DCal430

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2011
fyi it is no big deal, I use to do this with their cell phones all the time, when it was lifetime return. I would use the phone for a year, return and get a new one. I did this for years before they stop allowing it.

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
fyi it is no big deal, I use to do this with their cell phones all the time, when it was lifetime return. I would use the phone for a year, return and get a new one. I did this for years before they stop allowing it.

...that's terrible...

*edit*

But to answer the OP q...technically I do think it's a no questions return policy- but pretty shitty to buy a tv and return it cause you decided you didn't want it.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
UHHHHHHH

Let us clear some stuff up first:

(a) I've been looking for a TV for my house mates
(b) They don't have time to look for a TV, but are somewhat picky
(c) I noticed costco has some great prices on some Plasmas
(d) On the TV, in the TV Section, they have '90 day warranty' plastered all over
(e) I did some researched and isolated one of them down
(f) I want to buy it.
(g) But I wanted to make sure that the others would be fine with it. They will definitely give it heavy use over the first week or so
(h) If they do'nt mind it, I'll keep the TV. If they have a problem with it (mainly because it doesn't have the GREATEST filters) then I'd return it
(i) I'd sit and wait for potentially something with a better price/perf ratio as well as absolute price.

When they give me 90 days to really feel it out, why is it bad that I want to make sure that the people who will use it the most feel that it is acceptable? Let them use it for the tasks they generally do (one plays a LOT of a specific PS3 games, and I'm sure that the test of whether enough the filters are good enough will come out)?

So the consensus is store credit, or full refund?

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

See this is a douchebag move...and I'm NOT doing this.

I'm not trying to figure out if I need a TV...I want to see if a particular one is 'good enough'

Kyle

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 1999
So the consensus is store credit, or full refund?

From their site

"Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund. The following must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund: televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, touch screen tablets, MP3 players and cellular phones."

Which is how I understood it- full refund.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Either bring your housemates to Costco to look at the TVs, or tell them to accept whatever you buy. Don't be a dick.

Their return policy isn't intended as a 90 day test drive policy.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Either bring your housemates to Costco to look at the TVs, or tell them to accept whatever you buy. Don't be a dick.

this. Take them with you, they have the TVs up and running for you to look at. make sure to buy with amex card for 3rd year warranty, my sony crapped out in the 3rd year.

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
(c) I noticed costco has some great prices on some Plasmas

Plasmas are not ideal for full-time gaming since there is a risk of image burn-in due to static objects like game scores/etc. They got much better in recent years and unlikely to be an issue for occasional gaming, but if the main purpose of new TV is gaming, I would consider other TV tech. Just my 2 cents.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
Might as well BS your way to saying that they need to refund the polish dogs/pizzas/churros you've bought from the food court in the past since you weren't "fully satisfied".

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
It is actually not no questions asked since they usually ask "what was wrong with it?"

OP, I would recommend hitting up avsforum display subforum and read up on the costco tvs you have in mind. Generally, for well lighted rooms, id go with the samsung or sony lcd in your budget. If the tv is in a dark room, with no static images, go with plasma like panasonic. I doubt you will have to return any of them unless there was truly a defect.

Pardus

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2000
Yes/No?

I was thinking of buying one of the TVs from Cotsco, however, I'm not going to be the main user of the TV. the main users will be playing plenty of Ps3 and watching Bluerays. I basically want them to decide if its good enough because I know I'll be pretty much satisfied with whatever.

I know costco has a 90 day return policy, but I'd love to know the specifics bceause it would be great to try it out and keep it if meets the needs of my housemates. Does that 90 day return policy apply to 'exchanges', or full on returns?

Assholes like you buy who buy and return tv's on a regular basis is why warehouse clubs are changing there return policies. Sam's Club and Costco are both allowing 90-day no question asked money back on electronics, that will soon change to 30-days.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com

Which is precisely why they no longer have quite as kickass a return/replacement policy on electronics.

I used their return policy once... on a 42" Vizio LCD that started dying after about 3 years. This was after the policy change, but they grandfathered my TV in since I bought it before the change. Ended up getting a 40" Samsung which is still kicking, and about $400 of groceries in exchange.

Mar 11, 2004

Yeah, you're a fucking douche.

Assholes like you buy who buy and return tv's on a regular basis is why warehouse clubs are changing there return policies. Sam's Club and Costco are both allowing 90-day no question asked money back on electronics, that will soon change to 30-days.

He's already stated that's not what he's doing.

He's not abusing their return policy. Believe it or not, stores expect some amount of this (and have just about forever, so its factored into their regular business. Do you guys really think its unfathomable that a TV might not be as good when you get it home?

Take for instance plasma issues, where people would get them home and then get high pitched whine. Another is TV processing with gaming. Some TVs just screw up handling of it and that's not something you'll likely be able to always find out by doing research, its something you'd just have to try. Ditto to hooking up a PC.

Yes, you do want to research some before you buy, but its not anywhere close to the shit that actually caused all the problems (assholes like the other guy in this thread that would buy something, use it for a year, then return it and get the newest, doing this constantly).

Now if you regularly just impulse buy stuff and then return it, yeah, I'd agree, that's not much different from the other assholes.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Yes. I've taken back 2 brand new TVs because of dead pixels, to get the same model back. They don't give a crap. The people at the desk have so much to deal with that they just give you a receipt and move on to the next person.

Brooklyn2010

Oct 8, 2012

They are changed their return policy because of the way technology changes so fast, it has nothing to do with returning items or they would do that with everything. That is what the membership fee is for. All they do is send it back to the manufacturer and credit their account. Plus, they keep records of consistent return from customers who take advantage of it.
The person asked what the return policy was, thats it. They didn't need your little two cents about right and wrong. Nothing better to do?? I hate little computer nerds like you that hide behind your computer with acne all over your face or you weigh 900 pounds. Just gotta stick your beak in with your shitty opinion. Sitting in these little chat boards or whatever the heck their are letting people know how miserable you are and how crappy your life turned out.
Why don't you take your opinion to the bathrroom and wipe off the puss from your acne covered pizza face. Fricking loser.;)

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
They are changed their return policy because of the way technology changes so fast, it has nothing to do with returning items or they would do that with everything. That is what the membership fee is for. All they do is send it back to the manufacturer and credit their account. Plus, they keep records of consistent return from customers who take advantage of it.
The person asked what the return policy was, thats it. They didn't need your little two cents about right and wrong. Nothing better to do?? I hate little computer nerds like you that hide behind your computer with acne all over your face or you weigh 900 pounds. Just gotta stick your beak in with your shitty opinion. Sitting in these little chat boards or whatever the heck their are letting people know how miserable you are and how crappy your life turned out.
Why don't you take your opinion to the bathrroom and wipe off the puss from your acne covered pizza face. Fricking loser.;)

I like this guy already!

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
(a) I've been looking for a TV for my house mates
(b) They don't have time to look for a TV, but are somewhat picky

They care deeply but they don't care enough to do their own research? Eff that!

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I return stuff to Costco all the time when they break before the warranty coverage period ends and get the same thing from the shelf.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I return stuff to Costco all the time when they break before the warranty coverage period ends and get the same thing from the shelf.

All the time? You buy things at Costco that break all the time?

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
All the time? You buy things at Costco that break all the time?

Technically it's not my stuff, but the business's stuff that employee use and breaks because it's not theirs. The stuff I buy for my own house rarely if ever breaks.

I buy everything from Costco, so it's no surprise when high usage = stuff breaking all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.