Question Is Corsair a reliable PSU?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I've mostly used eVGA but see some Corsair semi-modulars are on sale and I'm looking for some feedback?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
All major PSU brands have some good (and some not so good) models. From top-shelf units all the way down to adequate models.

You have to look at specific models, and read a review to see which kind it is.

Reactions: phillyman36

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
$20-$30 off a $150 PSU may get you in trouble. Stick with the full MSRP power supplies. Those on discounted are usually discontinued models and/or slow sellers. If you like eVGA, go with that brand as your next buy!

• Haha
Reactions: Ajay

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
$20-$30 off a $150 PSU may get you in trouble. Stick with the full MSRP power supplies. Those on discounted are usually discontinued models and/or slow sellers. If you like eVGA, go with that brand as your next buy!

Captain Obvious No.gif

That entire statement is 100% wrong.

The best power supplies are often on sale / mail-in-rebates.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but giving advice like that when you clearly do not understand helps no one.

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
EVGA and Seasonic have always been good. The other brands that have been around for a long time with good power supplies, Antec and Thermaltake. Corsair is more a brand where they put their name on a lot of things. Corsair has had more bad power supplies than any other major brand several years ago.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
Corsair PSUs are decent.

Their lines are grades of quality, obviously.

CX - lower end parts and price
GS - mediocre and now discontinued
CS - pretty good - Gold rated
TX - very good - Gold rated
RM - very good and higher quality in the X series - Gold rated
HX - excellent and quiet - Gold and Platinum rated
AX - top of the line and Platinum rated

I just ordered an RM750x for my system.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
They're highly variable in my experience. I stopped using the CX PSUs for PC builds because of an alarming failure rate. They're simply a brand that's slapped on another manufacturer's PSU, so the key is knowing which manufacturer they're using and decide based on the merits of that manufacturer.

PSU manufacturer database:

Ten years ago I was using Corsair's VX range and to my knowledge not a single one has failed. They were manufactured by Seasonic.

For higher end builds I tend to go with Seasonic. At the lower end, Be Quiet (at the moment, they are a label too and others' advice on this front is valid, they are virtually silent though).

Reactions: Harry_Wild

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
EVGA and Seasonic have always been good. The other brands that have been around for a long time with good power supplies, Antec and Thermaltake. Corsair is more a brand where they put their name on a lot of things. Corsair has had more bad power supplies than any other major brand several years ago.
EVGA doesn't make any of the power supplies they sell. They are made by many different OEMs, with the ones made by Super Flower and Seasonic being the best. However, they use so many different OEMs and don't send most of their models out to be reviewed anymore, so outside of their best units, some of their models (even the gold rated units) are not very good.

Corsair's RMx series (made by CWT) have consistently been one of the best upper mid-range power supplies for a very long time. Some of their other models aren't as good, but at least you never really have to worry about buying something from them that won't perform to spec / kill your build like many of these no-name / junk brands (Aresgame, Gigabyte's exploding PSU debacle, Apevia, etc.)

Seasonic makes almost all of their own PSUs, although I believe they have contracted out some entry-level units to other OEMs when they needed extra production capacity. They make well-reviewed units for a LOT of different brands.......MSI, Phanteks, Asus, Antec, EVGA, etc.

However, this is why a buyer should buy particular models that are good, and not necessarily buy based on the brand.

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry_Wild

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I bought mine when PSUs were in short supply, so +$35 over MSRP - it's been rock solid, but I haven't had it long. I would have preferred a Seasonic, but the ATX 12v cables were too short for my tall case. Either brand is good IMO.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I saw this Seasonic PX-650 platinum PSU over on Newegg for $139.99 - $56 promo code - $15 rebate, for a net of $68.99.

Even though it has a 10 year warranty, with that kind of discount I imagine it would blow up in a person's computer!

Why else would they be offering it at a sale price?

I've also seen Seasonic's Flagship 600w fanless titanium power supply on sale for around $125 every few weeks, when its normal price is $232. I bet it's a really bad unit to buy!

:D

• Haha
Reactions: VirtualLarry

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
I've used the TX models for a long time and they have been great. They worked nicely for several years until I needed to upgrade, and were highly rated by johnnyguru back in the day. The only thing I wish mine had was a few more 8-pin outputs (there are only two), but the current models seem to have that. As said earlier, most of these companies are just brands and don't make the PSUs themselves.

Harry_Wild

Dec 14, 2012
Seasonic FOCUS Plus 850 Platinum SSR-850PX 850W 80+ Platinum ATX12V & EPS12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

8194k3WP-eL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Maybe my be my next PSU! :)

Feb 4, 2009
Corsair PSUs are decent.

Their lines are grades of quality, obviously.

CX - lower end parts and price
GS - mediocre and now discontinued
CS - pretty good - Gold rated
TX - very good - Gold rated
RM - very good and higher quality in the X series - Gold rated
HX - excellent and quiet - Gold and Platinum rated
AX - top of the line and Platinum rated

I just ordered an RM750x for my system.
THIS!

jonnyGURU

Moderator <BR> Power Supplies
Oct 30, 1999
define an unreliable PSU........given that things have improved so much in the last few years........

Gigabyte GP-P-GM
EVGA N and W series
Aresgame AGS series
Armageddon Voltron
Apexgaming
Gamdias Assrape
And when you get into South America, India, etc., where there's no safety certifications, there's way more fun to be had.

Especially now, with IC shortages with the components other industries like automotive WANT to use, some of the shadier companies are turning to IC manufacturers that others DON'T want to use. So I would say we're definitely not out of the weeds yet.

Also, reviewers have led the public to believe that power supplies are nothing more than a box of capacitors. Forget the MOSFETs, MLCCs, topology, etc. So they can build an absolute shit unit, use a bunch of "Japanese capacitors" (which are still made in China because of China's strict import policies) and convey that it's a quality unit... when it's not.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Gigabyte GP-P-GM
EVGA N and W series
Aresgame AGS series
Armageddon Voltron
Apexgaming
Gamdias Assrape
And when you get into South America, India, etc., where there's no safety certifications, there's way more fun to be had.

Especially now, with IC shortages with the components other industries like automotive WANT to use, some of the shadier companies are turning to IC manufacturers that others DON'T want to use. So I would say we're definitely not out of the weeds yet.

Also, reviewers have led the public to believe that power supplies are nothing more than a box of capacitors. Forget the MOSFETs, MLCCs, topology, etc. So they can build an absolute shit unit, use a bunch of "Japanese capacitors" (which are still made in China because of China's strict import policies) and convey that it's a quality unit... when it's not.

You gotta know how much your site and reviews are missed. Most of us understand why (or at least why we believe) you had to shut it down...but damnit, you're missed by the community.

looniam

Feb 23, 2013
Gigabyte GP-P-GM
EVGA N and W series
Aresgame AGS series
Armageddon Voltron
Apexgaming
Gamdias Assrape

could i ask about OEMs? everyone seems to go w/seasonic. but i wonder if channel well at times or RSY and even andyson gets the short end of the stick as far as reputation. for bonus appreciation: which one(s), in your opinion, seems to have the more "exciting" innovations?

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
Gigabyte GP-P-GM
EVGA N and W series
Aresgame AGS series
Armageddon Voltron
Apexgaming
Gamdias Assrape

I feel honored that you would comment on my post! I also stand corrected and humbly beg your forgiveness!! With tht said -- I wish only the best for you!1 Thank you!!

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
could i ask about OEMs? everyone seems to go w/seasonic. but i wonder if channel well at times or RSY and even andyson gets the short end of the stick as far as reputation. for bonus appreciation: which one(s), in your opinion, seems to have the more "exciting" innovations?

Channelwell seems to be one of those brands that can be pure garbage...or excellent quality and bulletproof.
I have a CWT in my pre-built desktop. I've had zero problems. I had expected it woyld be one of the crappy models, so I bought a Seasonic 750 watt PSU for a replacement...haven't taken it out of the box.