Is computer bad?

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
I drove my F350 underwater, least water over hood not planning on creek bed being so deep. Anyway let it dry out ....changed all fluids including differential and transmission and transfer case for about two weeks and now it sound like someone is hitting transmission with a sledge hammer at shift points. Also Check engine light is on and ABS light is on. Is this a computer deal?

Truck in question: 2001 F350 super duty with automatic tyranny and 4x4. I only use it to tow...only has 65K miles since I bought it new....only mods are 4" lift with 38" tires and a Detroit locker in rear.

Edit truck slams it into gear not smooth shifting and its shifting at higher RPM than before at each shift point. Man i miss my 69 scout sometimes...so easy to diagnose.:cool:

Last edited:

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
I drove my F350 underwater, least water over hood not planning on creek bed being so deep.

holy shit, wouldn't this suck water into the intake?

For the Check Engine Light, just go to PepBoys/Autozone/Whatever and they should read the code for free, then look it up online. But it sounds like you've probably got a lot more problems than that.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008

For the Check Engine Light, just go to PepBoys/Autozone/Whatever and they should read the code for free, then look it up online. But it sounds like you've probably got a lot more problems than that.

Whenever I go to Advance Auto Parts their code readers tell me what the code means on the spot. And while the OP may have sucked some water in his intake, he obviously didn't hydrolock the motor, so it's probably not the worst thing right now.

How long did you let the truck dry for, and under what conditions? Was there multiple fans arranged to create a continuous airflow around the car and did you take a leafblower to the nooks and crannies? Was it humid out?

Water may have shorted out something small, causing the lights to go on the dash. The short could have blown a fuse as well. Not sure what to make of the transmission ATM.

madeuce

Jul 22, 2010
Sucks to hear it. I hydro locked my Ranger one time. Twice... My buddy learned not to look into the spark plug sockets for water when I'm turning it over to get the water out...

A damaged sensor might make it shift later, but the transmission banging like that? I would take it in to get it thoroughly checked out and don't be bashful about telling them you took it swimming.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001

Well I'm not stupid dude..well only half stupid I cut engine as I started sinking and had a buddy pull me out. Still, as a precaution, I pulled plugs and turned her over to get any water out of engine.

Anyway Guys I think I found the problem with magic of internet and it's the speed sensor that is fried or fucked somehow which is indicative all my trucks symptoms...

Luckky as hell considering a GEM is like $700 and speed sensor is $15. Will update tomorrow.

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Computer should be in the cab, or if in the engine bay, high up on the firewall. But it would be the least of your worries if the entire harness and all it's junction boxes, relays, and connectors were submerged. ECU boxes are normally water tight, epoxied, neoprene gaskets, etc.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
BTW symptoms are

Hard very hard shifts
Speedo doesnt work till I hit 40
ABS on
Check engine light on

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Computer should be in the cab, or if in the engine bay, high up on the firewall. But it would be the least of your worries if the entire harness and all it's junction boxes, relays, and connectors were submerged. ECU boxes are normally water tight, epoxied, neoprene gaskets, etc.

I think there are two computers at least on this truck. One was hooked to fuse box inside cab under steering wheel aka GEM and I pulled it took it apart and no corrosion but not sealed. The other is outside by firewall and is sealed. Time to wash up..:p

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
I have no experience with auto tranny electronic control, but that sounds plausible with all your other symptoms. If it thinks you are going 0 mph it has no reason to blend or soften shifts, it's just going to hit the solenoids 100% on and off and switch instantly as it would if you were parked. Worth a shot for 15 bucks.

Depending on what kind of code scanners places in your area have, some of the mid range Snap On units can data log/graph PIDs while on the move and show live output of various sensors.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Whenever I go to Advance Auto Parts their code readers tell me what the code means on the spot. And while the OP may have sucked some water in his intake, he obviously didn't hydrolock the motor, so it's probably not the worst thing right now.

How long did you let the truck dry for, and under what conditions? Was there multiple fans arranged to create a continuous airflow around the car and did you take a leafblower to the nooks and crannies? Was it humid out?

Water may have shorted out something small, causing the lights to go on the dash. The short could have blown a fuse as well. Not sure what to make of the transmission ATM.
Well dont tell OSHA or my home insurance but I put a patio heater in garage sealed it and in three days even seats were bone dry... was hot as hell in there. Before doing that I disconnected every connector (btw ford has like 6 o rings protecting them so most were dry anyway)

exdeath

Lifer
Jan 29, 2004
Yeah most of that stuff is weather proof and water tight. The problem isn't being immediately submerged, it's all the standing water that collects and stays in the wire loom, etc. where the damage occurs over time. Leave anything soaked in moisture for a long enough time and it's going to get in eventually.

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Oh and another thing fubared is CD won't eject anymore. That's not a real negative since I wanted a ipod capable and MP3 capable unit instead of stock crap they put in there. Now I just have impetus to do it. I sat in water for 30 min until my buddy showed up with his dually 4x4 or i it 6x6?

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Taking speed sensor to auto parts shop. Hopefully I can get it back on the road to have any other codes, if indeed still active once R&R is done, checked out. Wish me luck. THX for all you help.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Got it fixed and all codes are off..Amazing that little $25 part was responsible for all that! fkn computers.:p

Lotheron

Platinum Member
Oct 21, 2002
Got it fixed and all codes are off..Amazing that little $25 part was responsible for all that! fkn computers.:p

Woot, I wish they all could be $25 issues.

Don't ask me why I was singing that to the tune of California Girls by the Beach Boys lol.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Woot, I wish they all could be $25 issues.

Don't ask me why I was singing that to the tune of California Girls by the Beach Boys lol.

That aint no joke. I easily could have been looking at a new GEM which is $700 or a new power stroke motor which is $9000. I'm thinking surfing USA now that you mention it.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
Taking speed sensor to auto parts shop. Hopefully I can get it back on the road to have any other codes, if indeed still active once R&R is done, checked out. Wish me luck. THX for all you help.

Heh, I know a guy that had a busted speed sensor in his Eclipse and put maybe 25000 miles on it before he fixed it. The odometer was frozen in time. He sold it not that long after fixing it.

alkalinetaupehat

Mar 3, 2008
Well dont tell OSHA or my home insurance but I put a patio heater in garage sealed it and in three days even seats were bone dry... was hot as hell in there. Before doing that I disconnected every connector (btw ford has like 6 o rings protecting them so most were dry anyway)

Sounds like a good plan to me. Happy to hear it was the speed sensor.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Yeah now I gotta put seats back in and some other stuff,...guys don't dunk your car.:p I essentially had to take this mofo apart and put it back together...but I saved a ton on insurance claim... $25.:p

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2009
What I'd really like to see is a picture of that creek you tried to cross..

Congrats on it only being a sensor

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
What I'd really like to see is a picture of that creek you tried to cross..

Congrats on it only being a sensor

I'll take pics next time I'm out. I've cross it before but and it's usually only 2-3 ft deep. This time it was like 5 after some heavy rains up stream. I bet if I gunned it I'da made it threw... however that has problems of it's own like intaking water into engine and breaking shit like axles if you hit a boulder so i learned a long time ago take it slow.