Is Cdkeys legit?

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Steam keys guaranteed to work and all that? I noticed even preorder prices are cheaper, I assume these are Europe prices or something? Always been afraid to buy something from there and not have it work.

Andy T

Jul 24, 2008
I bought a number of keys from them and g2a without any issues. I prefer cdkeys as they don't charge foreign transaction fee that g2a does.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
I bought a number of keys from them and g2a without any issues. I prefer cdkeys as they don't charge foreign transaction fee that g2a does.

Well what's the legal standpoint about using them, is it like a grey area or something? I mean I assume there is some reason why people buy games directly on Steam's or Origin's store front other than convenience?

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
I haven't had any problems with them so far.

Although from what I can tell is that sometimes you are not buying north american keys for some games. Which most of the time makes little difference.

HeXen

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 2009
Is there a authorized site that you guys purchase from that is generally cheaper than others? GamersGate always seems about the same as Steam.

They are not a steam authorized seller so it's at your own risk for steam games.

Otherwise when in doubt read up here: https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/2yhnsw/key_resellers_and_what_they_mean_for_you/

Thanks. So it's just luck of the draw then? I never read complaints about it but I haven't searched for negative reviews of it either. Is there a service or site that searches for the lowest legit prices on a particular game then? Google shop results seem kind of erratic.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
I've used Kinguin before. You can pay a small extra fee and they will guarantee no issues with the key.

Feb 4, 2009
I generally stick to humble or green man gaming. The other sites generally aren't that much cheaper for me to take a risk.
Buying straight from steam does have the return advantage.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I've used Kinguin before. You can pay a small extra fee and they will guarantee no issues with the key.
That is funny as if it doesn't work that's where a chargeback is for and how long would that last as you could get the game banned or your account banned months or longer later because of this?

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I bought 7 games from them in the past two years or so I believe, and I've had no issues with those games so far (6 for Steam, 1 for Battle.net, namely SC2: Legacy of the Void).

wanderer27

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2005
Didn't G2A go to a Steamgift format to become more legitimate?

Thought I saw something along those lines recently, but don't remember for sure.

Sabrewings

Golden Member
Jun 27, 2015
That is funny as if it doesn't work that's where a chargeback is for and how long would that last as you could get the game banned or your account banned months or longer later because of this?

I'm afraid I'm not sure the point you're making. If for any reason they key didn't work, they would issue you another or a refund. No need for chargebacks.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
CDkeys and G2A are "legit" in that you can get a discounted code. They are generally grey market goods though and their support is questionable. I've never heard of Steam actually revoking a key for being sold in Russia and used in the US, if the key isn't region locked.

And, it should be noted, since G2A is more of a marketplace type thing (kinda like eBay), if you get a bad key, they handle it pretty well. Unfortunately, developers end up getting screwed (or publishers if it is a large company, as the developers are already paid by the time the game comes out) as people will buy large amounts of keys, sell them on G2A and then issue charge backs. And, it would be incredibly time consuming and incredibly fucked up for users for those keys to be deactivated.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
That's the point of the extra, so you receive that protection. Otherwise you assume the risk as it's a market of third party sellers.
That is why I asked how long it covers as using the extra cost to just cover that it works initially is pointless.

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
And, it should be noted, since G2A is more of a marketplace type thing (kinda like eBay), if you get a bad key, they handle it pretty well. Unfortunately, developers end up getting screwed (or publishers if it is a large company, as the developers are already paid by the time the game comes out) as people will buy large amounts of keys, sell them on G2A and then issue charge backs. And, it would be incredibly time consuming and incredibly fucked up for users for those keys to be deactivated.
I don't get that, it would be trivial to match keys and deactivate said keys in the event of a charge back.
Then G2A does a charge back on the person who they bought it from (if that is how it works).
This is also why they have an insurance option for buyers, so they can get their $$$ back.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
I bought 2 games there with no problems. And now I'm really tempted to get Shadow of Mordor GOY for $6.70 right now...

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
I bought Dying Light and The Following from them for like $20 total when the expansion first hit the market (which was normally $40).

My buddy did tell me he had an issue with one of the games he bought from them and within five minutes of him providing proof the key didn't work (not sure why), they sent him a new key that worked without issues. To me, they have always been a bit sketchy, but if I can get the same game for even cheaper, why not use them?

Edit: Just checked and Witcher 3 is only $15 at CDKeys. I'd rather spend $15 and dick around with questionable customer service if something goes wrong than spend $60 at Steam.