Is cdkeys.com legit?

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I bought an Xbox Live sub from them. I think they may robo call your billing number after the purchase so it needs to be real and you need to be at the phone. It was either them or gamedealdaily or both that robo called.

AFAIK they buy keys in countries where they are cheaper and sell them on their site. As always use paypal if you have it.

You can read the FAQ's on their site. https://support.cdkeys.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200890562-Frequently-Asked-Questionshttps://support.cdkeys.com/hc/en-gb/articles/200890562-Frequently-Asked-Questions#1c

DeadFred

Platinum Member
Jun 4, 2011
Ive bought a couple of keys from them with a credit card and have had no problems. I know they robo called me the first time, cant remember if they did on the second one, so keep a phone handy.

linkgoron

Platinum Member
Mar 9, 2005
I've bought one game from them and had no problems.

They're supposed to be legit.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've bought 3 or 4 games from them. And before anyone goes OMG gray market etc...companies use loopholes us little folk don't get to use all the time. That's all gray market is :p No guilt whatso'er

Anomaly1964

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2010
In the watch industry gray market is when authorized dealers have stock they can't sell and in turn sell it to a non-authorized dealer for resell, typically at a much lower cost. Is this the cdkeys model?

aaksheytalwar

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2012
They probably buy from cheaper countries like India, Brazil etc that aren't region locked and sell globally.

TeknoBug

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2013
I don't remember what site but EA banned accounts with games mostly BF3 that were purchased from a certain site (it might be cdkeys) a few years ago but some searching for the source is warranted.

darkewaffle

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2005
These sites aren't illegitimate in the sense that they will screw you, the customer, intentionally (well aside from random screw-ups). But they typically aren't scam artists.

What is questionable about them is the source of their keys. Upselling keys from a 'cheap region' is grey area at best but there have also been sites like this selling outright stolen keys or keys purchased using stolen credit cards.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I'm pretty sure they are not authorized to resell the games. Isn't that written in every EULA for every game? Other than that part, they may function like a legit company, but you do run the risk of losing your key, as there have been a least a couple instances where those keys have been deactivated by the publisher.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
I've been using it for years and never had an issue. For the few people who have reported issues with revoked keys - their customer service is supposedly great and gets you a new key immediately. The number of reports is very small though.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
Works for me. Not transparent as to how/where they get their keys but they do work.

Allkeyshop.com is another place for cheap keys, seems like when someone gets a free game with a video card and they want to resell it, this is where they go.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
Just don't buy keys that require a VPN. If it activates without a VPN you're probably fine. (They normally warn you about things like RU key, needs VPN)

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
It's grey market, and within that band they're dark grey, basically, you should be ok, but buy at your own risk.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
They're definitely grey market and not an official key reseller like GMG is. That said, they're not a scam site or anything and you'll get what you paid for.

I've bought about five or six keys there and it always worked out just great. I've been using them more lately as game prices have been getting cranked out of whack for Canadians on Steam. Fallout 4 is $80... I got it at cdkeys for $50.

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
Don't know about "cdkeys.com" but I buy keys and playtime cards from gamersloot.net and on occasion from allcdkey.com and never had a problem.

Usually, the very first time you order they (both) call you to verify, and depending it might take 2-4hrs for delivery but otherwise I cannot complain.

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
My understanding of this (may be wrong) games are sold at much different costs in areas of the world. Some games are region locked, but most are not. So Company in Higher cost region works out a deal with company in low cost region for keys. So legal, sort of. Many software agreements have some really overpowered "for region" clauses that they can interpret how they want (you installed, you agreed). So if they wanted to come after you they could, but why? I think technically its illegal, but nobody is going to do anything except maybe EA.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
I'm guessing that some of what they sell is doesn't exactly conform to the policies of the companies that are involved. If you buy something from them, you get it at least. They aren't trying to scam you.

Feb 25, 2011
I've bought Steam keys from places like that before, usually for 10-15% off of retail. Never been screwed. One took like a day and a half to deliver once, but I looked up where they were and it turned out it was a holiday there. So it might be "guy in a garage".

ronbo613

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2010
Bought XBL from them for the past couple years. There was an issue with one of them and they took care of it right away. Would buy it from them again if they have a good price.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
My understanding of this (may be wrong) games are sold at much different costs in areas of the world. Some games are region locked, but most are not. So Company in Higher cost region works out a deal with company in low cost region for keys. So legal, sort of. Many software agreements have some really overpowered "for region" clauses that they can interpret how they want (you installed, you agreed). So if they wanted to come after you they could, but why? I think technically its illegal, but nobody is going to do anything except maybe EA.

It's not "legal" because the EULA does state that you aren't legal allowed to sell them without permission from the publisher and they clearly did not give them permission to do that. That's why they call it a gray market.