Is better 3D technology coming out anytime soon? (not impressed with current)

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
After going through about 4 or 5 monitors, I finally ended up getting the ASUS 23" 120hz monitor. Not because of 3d, but because of 120hz. Everything seems so much smoother, and im not totally sure I can go back to 60hz.

I tried the 3d vision, and I still think 3D gaming has a ways to go. Its very dark, to the point where taking the glasses off is a relief (my monitor is one of the brightest 3d ones you can buy). It requires better parts to run. Its sort of fun as an experience, but I cant see myself actually using the glasses to play a game for more than 20 mins.

I'm pretty sure im definitely keeping the monitor, but I might just sell the 3D vision kit. Is there any better 3D tech to look forward to?

-Will they do something about the brightness?
-will there be higher refresh rate monitors released? (120 is awesome, but 240 might be even better)
-nintendo 3ds has 3d without glasses, will that ever make it to big screens?
-if there are nicer 3d screens coming out anytime soon, I may just return this one and wait it out. I love 120hz, but I'd hate to spend more money on a monitor that I will actually use for 3D in the future.

These both seem like a really good deal right now: LED - LCD

If anyone has that monitor, how would you compare the brightness and color to the one I have which is this one.

Also, can most normal LCD monitors be turned up to 75hz or better? I think that would help in a lot of cases.

Last edited:

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
Probably better execution. Now that AMD is trying harder to offer 3d. Games developed might better support in game 3d features. Like Crysis 2. Where its a advertised feature. I think the lcd glasses are going to be the ongoing method, but they might eventually offer a 2.0 kit ? That is 'better' ? As far as I know, the glasses design is not refreshed since launch. Someone else might know more. Though I did hear something about longer charge life recently.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
What an interesting coincidence. i just got the same ASUS display and 3D Vision kit from Nvidia last week. i am going to be getting two more for 3D Vision Surround.

i was in a conference call with Nvidia today and they acknowledged that darkness was still an issue with current displays and that they are working on near-term solutions including brighter displays.

The 120hz refresh rate is designed to give 60 FPS and triple buffering is locked on. A higher rate would require a beefier graphics solution.

As to "glasses free" large 3D TV screens, it's about 5 years off. Toshiba has it now but it is imperfect. New even brighter LCDs are coming .. but no ETA.

Most LCDs cannot do both 60 and 75Hz although some are designed to do so

i like 3D Vision so far.
:thumbsup:
Though I did hear something about longer charge life recently.
Yep. Nvidia dropped the price of the glasses kit to $150 from $200 and upped the battery life 50%. i just got that kit.

After going through about 4 or 5 monitors, I finally ended up getting the ASUS 23" 120hz monitor. Not because of 3d, but because of 120hz. Everything seems so much smoother, and im not totally sure I can go back to 60hz.

I tried the 3d vision, and I still think 3D gaming has a ways to go. Its very dark, to the point where taking the glasses off is a relief (my monitor is one of the brightest 3d ones you can buy). It requires better parts to run. Its sort of fun as an experience, but I cant see myself actually using the glasses to play a game for more than 20 mins.

I'm pretty sure im definitely keeping the monitor, but I might just sell the 3D vision kit. Is there any better 3D tech to look forward to?

-Will they do something about the brightness?
-will there be higher refresh rate monitors released? (120 is awesome, but 240 might be even better)
-nintendo 3ds has 3d without glasses, will that ever make it to big screens?
-if there are nicer 3d screens coming out anytime soon, I may just return this one and wait it out. I love 120hz, but I'd hate to spend more money on a monitor that I will actually use for 3D in the future.

These both seem like a really good deal right now: LED - LCD

If anyone has that monitor, how would you compare the brightness and color to the one I have which is this one.

Also, can most normal LCD monitors be turned up to 75hz or better? I think that would help in a lot of cases.

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
well I think my computer might be part of the reason why I'm not all that impressed. I tried playing black ops, and dead rising 2, and both seemed a little laggy (dead rising was really slow in some parts). I downloaded the trial of WOW just to see what it would look like, but 3d wont work on it for some reason. I wanna try arkham asylum, and see what that looks like.

I'm guessing you need to put out over 120fps normally to end up getting a good 3d picture.

Any decent FPS games out there that I can try, that my system can handle easily? I tried Nexuiz, but it doesn't support 3D.

Still doesnt solve the darkness issue though. I play in a completely dark room btw, so i thought since I've seem demos in light rooms that I'd be ok. So brighter displays are the only solution :(

The 120hz refresh rate is designed to give 60 FPS and triple buffering is locked on. A higher rate would require a beefier graphics solution.

I dont understand. Is having a 120hz screen making my card work any harder? I would assume getting a 240hz screen would benefit you for any fps over 120?

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
well I think my computer might be part of the reason why I'm not all that impressed. I tried playing black ops, and dead rising 2, and both seemed a little laggy (dead rising was really slow in some parts). I downloaded the trial of WOW just to see what it would look like, but 3d wont work on it for some reason. I wanna try arkham asylum, and see what that looks like.

I'm guessing you need to put out over 120fps normally to end up getting a good 3d picture.

Any decent FPS games out there that I can try, that my system can handle easily? I tried Nexuiz, but it doesn't support 3D.

Still doesnt solve the darkness issue though. I play in a completely dark room btw, so i thought since I've seem demos in light rooms that I'd be ok. So brighter displays are the only solution :(

I dont understand. Is having a 120hz screen making my card work any harder? I would assume getting a 240hz screen would benefit you for any fps over 120?

Well, if you end up pushing out more frames overall, sure.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Well, if you end up pushing out more frames overall, sure.

yes but you would just have a higher ceiling. So right now if im gaming at 160fps you can only really tell up until 120, but 240 would be better in that case.

Plus im imagining how smooth everything would be, based on how much smoother 120hz is than 60hz.

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
yes but you would just have a higher ceiling. So right now if im gaming at 160fps you can only really tell up until 120, but 240 would be better in that case.

Plus im imagining how smooth everything would be, based on how much smoother 120hz is than 60hz.

Are you using Vsync?

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
If a particular game is "dark" for some, what one may do is either add a bit of gamma either through the application or through the Control Panel.

Emulex

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2001
you turn it up too much and you get ghosting. vizio has that new $549 msrp passive glasses 3-D - i am curious as to how that works since shuttering is done on top of the panel.

but lcd has nasty ghosting since its far slower than plasma in response time. I guess you could go back to a TN panel to pick up some speed but ick

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009
The 120hz LCD monitor that I have my eye on is the one from Planar. CrossTalk is my nit-pick with LCD displays -- much more than anything else.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
If a particular game is "dark" for some, what one may do is either add a bit of gamma either through the application or through the Control Panel.

I feel like an absolute moron for not adjusting the in game settings. It definitely made a difference, but still I might prefer gaming with them off.

Dead rising is pretty cool. I'd like to try out Crysis 2, but im a bit worried my PC might be underpowered.

Sentry2

Mar 21, 2005
Just Cause 2 is pretty fun in 3D... other than that I'd rather just run most of my games at 120Hz. I've had a few 120Hz monitors and finally stuck with the AW2310(although it took two tries to get an acceptable one). I still absolutely hate TN panels but 120Hz is something I'm not sure I could give up so the AW2310 stays.

Like you, I'm not that impressed with 3D Vision. Crosstalk is so distracting and you really do need a pretty powerful card to run newer games in 3D to have a decent experience...

If you really like 120Hz I'd just stick with the Asus monitor for a few years until something better comes out. Anything coming out in the near future will probably have minor improvements at best.

wahdangun

Golden Member
Feb 3, 2011
yeah, i don't like 3D at all unless it was glassless 3D monitor, because i don't like wearing glasses, and some times the hud and crosshair didn't work properly in the fps games (like crysis 2)

gevorg

Diamond Member
Nov 3, 2004
I prefer good HD over 3D. No matter what type of 3D monitor/TV I checkout, they all look awkward, unnatural and blurrier than HD.

Obsoleet

Platinum Member
Oct 2, 2007
3D has been a joke since 1950. It still is today as you noticed. It's just a way to sell more crap. I don't like 3D either, guess it's a nice gimmick in a movie.. but useless for gaming or home movie watching.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
Why wouldn't most developers eventually render 3D the Crysis 2 way (render-and-shift)? You lose a few frame per second, rather than HALF of your frames per second, and the 3D effect seems to be comparable to doing it the "regular" way. AND you don't lose half the light. AND you don't need to buy a new, 120 Hz monitor to run at 60 frames per second.

That said, I have not played Crysis 2 so maybe their 3D doesn't work as well as regular 3D... it's hard to get definitive information on this.

Edit for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, read this: http://www.videogamer.com/news/crytek_magic_prevents_crysis_2_3d_performance_issues.html

and this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-trioviz3d-ue3-blog-entry

One of the discussions of Crysis 2's 3D I've found so far: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1323712

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Why wouldn't most developers eventually render 3D the Crysis 2 way (render-and-shift)? You lose a few frame per second, rather than HALF of your frames per second, and the 3D effect seems to be comparable to doing it the "regular" way. AND you don't lose half the light. AND you don't need to buy a new, 120 Hz monitor to run at 60 frames per second.

That said, I have not played Crysis 2 so maybe their 3D doesn't work as well as regular 3D... it's hard to get definitive information on this.

I think i need to try out crysis 2. I was planning on eventually buying it, maybe ill bite the bullet tonight.

pw38

Apr 21, 2010
...I'd like to try out Crysis 2, but im a bit worried my PC might be underpowered.

lol with the way the game has been getting hammered for apparently catering to the console crowd I don't think you're gonna have a problem. :whiste:

SirPauly

Diamond Member
Apr 28, 2009

Edit for those who have no idea what I'm talking about, read this: http://www.videogamer.com/news/crytek_magic_prevents_crysis_2_3d_performance_issues.html

and this: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-trioviz3d-ue3-blog-entry

One of the discussions of Crysis 2's 3D I've found so far: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1323712

There are settings one can adjust:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showpost.php?p=1336535046&postcount=2821

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
lol with the way the game has been getting hammered for apparently catering to the console crowd I don't think you're gonna have a problem. :whiste:

yea just read a bunch of reviews on newegg. Well, if the 3d is really good, that might make up for crappy graphics.

artvscommerce

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2010
I've tried 3d vision with Modern Warfare, Modern Warfare 2, Just Cause 2, Bad Company 2, and Crysis 2. I can definitely say that it was a significantly better experience with Crysis 2 than with the other games I tried. That being said, i'm still not sure if I prefer playing the game with the glasses on or off.

Seero

Golden Member
Nov 4, 2009
The biggest problem I have with 3D isn't on the hardware, it is the freaking 2D UIs! It is preventing me from turning the depth all the way! Curse game devel!