Is anyone into "retro-computing"?

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
owned

C=64
C=128 Use to run a dial in BB system on it with two floppies~
Amiga 1200
Amiga 2000 Maxed out With a Video toaster, Hard drive animation recorder for Light Wave, TBC, Accelerator, 19" yamiya monitor.

Just recenlty moved and trashed it all. At one time I wanted to use the case to build a PC in it, lots of room.

Sure loved my Amiga.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
owned

C=64
C=128 Use to run a dial in BB system on it with two floppies~
Amiga 1200
Amiga 2000 Maxed out With a Video toaster, Hard drive animation recorder for Light Wave, TBC, Accelerator, 19" yamiya monitor.

Just recenlty moved and trashed it all. At one time I wanted to use the case to build a PC in it, lots of room.

Sure loved my Amiga.

I just got my accelerator in the mail yesterday and am having problems with it in my Amiga 2000. :( I have confirmed that the accelerator itself works and passes all diagnostics, so I am not 100% sure where the problem lies. If I can't figure it out, I may just have to sell it.

Apr 12, 2010
I have a Win98 machine sitting in the closet. I want to fix it up to be useable, at least to play a few old games I can't get working in XP. But haven't worked up motivation to work on it.

Last time I tried messing with it I wanted to upgrade the ram, & ended up being scammed. They sent me wrong fucking ram altogether. Their returns & contact info was broken. But that's not surprising seeing that it was a scam company. Wish I would have known about Reseller Ratings before that purchase.

I also tried to install a usb 2.0 card, none of the drivers worked, and found out the card was on clearance sale because company went out of business. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I also have an old win2000 machine sitting around but can't figure out why it keeps freezing/rebooting. I'm thinking ram, but don't want to drop on ram & come to conclusion board or cpu is shot.

I kind of gave up on those, but would like to fix em one day. :\

We used to have some older machines from early 90s, all command prompt. Had alot of fun with those. Am kind of mad parents threw those away when I got bored of them.

Last edited:

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I have a Win98 machine sitting in the closet. I want to fix it up to be useable, at least to play a few old games I can't get working in XP. But haven't worked up motivation to work on it.

Last time I tried messing with it I wanted to upgrade the ram, & ended up being scammed. They sent me wrong fucking ram altogether. Their returns & contact info was broken. But that's not surprising seeing that it was a scam company. Wish I would have known about Reseller Ratings before that purchase.

I also tried to install a usb 2.0 card, none of the drivers worked, and found out the card was on clearance sale because company went out of business. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I also have an old win2000 machine sitting around but can't figure out why it keeps freezing/rebooting. I'm thinking ram, but don't want to drop on ram & come to conclusion board or cpu is shot.

what chipset is the USB card? You should just be able to install the generic drivers for the chipset.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
(don't know if this has been posted yet, but...)

Why restore? Just buy a new Commodore 64...

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112510/new-commodore-64-nyt

The New Commodore 64, Updated With Its Old Exterior

"The Commodore 64 is being re-released for the modern computer user.

I was just 6 years old when the Commodore 64 computer went on sale in the summer of 1982. Although I already owned a computer at the time -- a ZX Spectrum -- I remember my excitement about possibly getting my little hyperactive hands on the newly released Commodore.

At the time, the Commodore computer cost $595 and came with a whopping 64 kilobytes of memory. It also contained a graphics and sound card that stood apart from other computers of the day.

Now, nearly 30 years later, the Commodore brand has taken on new management and is re-releasing its flagship computer, this time with all the amenities of a modern-day computer packed inside.

In its heyday, the Commodore 64 was one of the most successful home computers made, shipping more than two million units a year for almost a decade after its release. Although exact numbers don't exist, experts estimate that the company sold between 15 and 30 million Commodore 64 computers.

But the Commodore 64's success was short-lived. Commodore International, the maker of the computer, declared bankruptcy in 1994 after several bad business decisions and aggressive competition from I.B.M. and Apple.

Barry Altman, president and chief executive of Commodore USA, said he purchased the Commodore trademark in September of last year with the goal of reviving the company and offering a product that no longer exists.

"Thirty years ago computers were an all-in-one product, with the keyboard, memory and components built inside," Mr. Altman explained. "Over the years that has changed, and we believe there is a huge potential to revive the early format."

The new Commodore 64, which will begin shipping at the end of the month, has been souped up for the modern age. It comes with a 1.8 gigahertz dual-core processor, an optional Blu-ray player and built-in ethernet and HDMI ports. It runs the Linux operating system but the company says you can install Windows if you like. The new Commodore is priced between $250 to $900.

The company's Web site says that the new Commodore 64 is "a modern functional PC," and that although the guts of the device have greatly improved, the exterior is "as close to the original in design as humanly possible." Most people would not be able to visibly tell the old or new versions apart, it says.

"The response has been completely dramatic," Mr. Altman said. "We've been averaging about five registrations per second on our Web site. This is from people giving us their name and e-mail address to be kept abreast of updates on the new Commodore."

Some may wonder why someone would want to purchase this type of computer when a world of iPads and laptops exists.

Mr. Altman says he sees two types of customers for the new computer.

"There are a lot of really young computer users who want to own a retro-looking computer," he said. "And of course there are those 30- to 40-year-olds who owned the original Commodore 64 and want the nostalgia of their first machine."

The Commodore can run the Microsoft Windows operating system or a proprietary Commodore OS."

1a1f1dcab609f122d149076d7a1debdd.jpeg

8618f1121b2ee8f3c5eec79f34253522.jpeg

fb3c816a84db518b60507af2015e695a.jpeg

JimmiG

Platinum Member
Feb 24, 2005
It looks good, but it's basically a PC in a cool looking box.

It's supposed to come with an emulator, but apparently that's not shipping yet:
Note: Commodore OS 1.0, along with emulation functionality and classic game package, will be mailed to purchasers when available. In the meantime, units come with the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating system on CD ready to install.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007

We used to have some older machines from early 90s, all command prompt. Had alot of fun with those. Am kind of mad parents threw those away when I got bored of them.

I have been cleaning out my garage and have gotten rid of a ton of computer stuff, but I still have a Win98 Pentium Pro machine out there that I hope to fire back up. It is from 1997 or so, but I still don't consider it retro.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
It looks good, but it's basically a PC in a cool looking box.

It's supposed to come with an emulator, but apparently that's not shipping yet:

Yeah, I like the look of the new "Commodore 64," but it is just a PC running a freely available emulator. I still have my original C64 in my closet, but a few keys are kind of gimpy so I have my 128 connected instead.

Did you see that they are also going to be releasing "Amigas"? I think they're going to be HTPCs and probably just run emulators.

Speaking of Amigas, I'm still working on my Amiga 2000 project. I got the accelerator but am having issues with it (boots with the 68030 and passes all diags fine using KS 1.3, but you get a red screen trying to boot in KS 2.04). I'm hoping a ROM I have coming to me will fix the issue. If I get everything working right, it will basically be a faster version of the Amiga 3000, though not as cool looking. People forget that the Amiga 2000's case came from a cancelled Unix workstation project at Commodore and it shows, even though I don't think it is THAT bad. Not as cool looking as my Cosmos S, though.

Last edited:

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
Thanks.

I'm hoping it's in the storage "attic" with the unblocked door.

Found it!

1 disk drive, 1 dot matrix printer, 1 color mini printer/plotter.

still no joysticks.

I now need a power strip for more outlets.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
Found it!

1 disk drive, 1 dot matrix printer, 1 color mini printer/plotter.

still no joysticks.

I now need a power strip for more outlets.

Cool!

My incompetent, knuckle-dragging post office yet again missed a delivery of parts I was going to use this weekend. Seriously, I am going to go postal (no pun intended) when I go there to pick the stuff up Monday.

zzuupp

Lifer
Jul 6, 2008
a quick search on ebay found plenty of joysticks, and other controllers available.
I'll keep looking at home for now.

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
a quick search on ebay found plenty of joysticks, and other controllers available.
I'll keep looking at home for now.

One guy on eBay sells new Atari clone joysticks in a 2 pack for $20 or so. I bought a couple and they're decent.

BabaBooey

Lifer
Jan 21, 2001
I have a mac 200 from 1992-93,even have the old modems,the original keyboard,mouse and mic,still boots up to this day...:cool:

ehga4j.jpg

You know you are diggin that sexy mouse.....;)

ddhyeg.jpg

erikistired

Diamond Member
Sep 27, 2000
i am going to pick up my first computer next time i'm at my folks, a sanyo mbc 550 with the monitor and keyboard. hopefully the software is still kicking around, doubt i could replace that at this point (or get it onto 5 1/4" floppies).

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
i am going to pick up my first computer next time i'm at my folks, a sanyo mbc 550 with the monitor and keyboard. hopefully the software is still kicking around, doubt i could replace that at this point (or get it onto 5 1/4" floppies).

This guy?

sanyo550.jpg

IndyColtsFan

Lifer
Sep 22, 2007
that's it! including a matching green screen monitor. ran wordstar and a pac-man clone, which was uber cool at it's time!

I bet that keyboard weighs a ton. My Amiga keyboard is plastic like most modern keyboards, but I swear, the thing weighs at least twice what my MS keyboard weighs.