Is anyone getting 1700+'s that DON'T O/C well? UPDATE: SOMETHING ALL OC'ERs SHOULD READ!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

4x4expy

Mar 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Ilmater
IT WORKED! It's 100% FINE at 199MHz FSB. At 200MHz FSB it takes forever to post and it posts the processor as 1100MHz, but at 199MHz, I'm currently stable at 2.388GHZ. Incredible. I never thought that would happen.

Great OC! Is this your 0319 cpu from SVC? I got one in today and am ordering a mobo for it tonight.

ChampionAtTufshop

Platinum Member
Nov 15, 2002
IT WORKED! It's 100% FINE at 199MHz FSB. At 200MHz FSB it takes forever to post and it posts the processor as 1100MHz, but at 199MHz, I'm currently stable at 2.388GHZ. Incredible. I never thought that would happen.

Well, that lends definite creedence to the idea that this is a real phenomenon, but the question is, why? Does anyone have any idea?

EDIT: BTW, I can boot into windows at 201MHz FSB too, but the voltage required isn't worth it.

seen this many times
i was actually gonna suggest that too

most likely its spread spectrum kicking in automatically sometimes on some bios' even if you disable it at an "even" freq it still enables itself
when you go even 1mhz above or below it, the spread spectrum thing doesnt get enabled, making oc stable
you should alwyas turn that off whenever ocing, or at least know about it so if you see that it's on even when you turned it off before, you should try "uneven" freqs

joshg

Golden Member
Jul 3, 2001
^^^

Right, that's what was in the post that I was reading, I just didn't remember at the time what exactly was happening other than the problem was at the "even" settings. :)

Ilmater

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2002
Originally posted by: ChampionAtTufshop

Well, that lends definite creedence to the idea that this is a real phenomenon, but the question is, why? Does anyone have any idea?

EDIT: BTW, I can boot into windows at 201MHz FSB too, but the voltage required isn't worth it.

seen this many times
i was actually gonna suggest that too

most likely its spread spectrum kicking in automatically sometimes on some bios' even if you disable it at an "even" freq it still enables itself
when you go even 1mhz above or below it, the spread spectrum thing doesnt get enabled, making oc stable
you should alwyas turn that off whenever ocing, or at least know about it so if you see that it's on even when you turned it off before, you should try "uneven" freqs
So would a BIOS flash fix that? Is anyone else with an 8RDA+ having this problem? Are there other ways around it?

ScissorClaw

Mar 26, 2003

From Ilmater:
"What I did was get the highest FSB that I could, and then try to ge the highest multi I could. However, it didn't work like that.

What I don't understand is why the processor won't overclock past a certain point when the memory and motherboard can CLEARLY handle a certain FSB. "

I have to agree that is sucks that everything sems to be working allright with the mobo and the memory, but you may just have to face the fact that your CPU just can't go any furthur. You paid for a 1.7+ and as far as I can tell, your getting a good overclock. Try not to act like you got gypped. There are probably are a lot of people that would love to get what you've gotten out of the CPU so far. Be happy woth what you can get, and I would definetly replace thet TI4200. That is a major bottleneck for gaming. Seems weird to say already sincew the card is not that old. But when I moved from a TI4200 to a TI4600, all my freze frames, lagging frames, and missing frames that were occuring during BF1942 completely disappeared. Alos I would try bringing down the res from 1152 to 1024. That will definetly help ya out a bit.