Is android gaming at a point worth getting excited over yet?

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I've noticed that mobile cpus are getting better and better with an emphasis on improved graphics. Just wondering if developers have actually begun creating any games worth paying attention to. Something beyond just casual gaming and paying to unlock features.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
If it's anything like iOS gaming, no. There's maybe a handful of solid, original games burred underneath A LOT of shovelware.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
Beside few physics games (world of goo port for example), I haven't found anything worth playing for a long time.

BSim500

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2013
The dross:decent stuff ratio is pretty bad. A lot of games are like "apps" - 99% "cash in on having a store-front on your device and hope you'll be gullible enough to impulse buy" and 1% half-decent apps / games. And that's excluding the "free" trojan's floating around that want full access to your data whilst you're distracted by all the sparkly bits... :rolleyes:

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Embarrassingly addicted to The Simpsons: Tapped Out.

Wardawg1001

Sep 4, 2008
There are a few decent games out there, some of which don't even try to rob you blind with in-app purchases. But they are very, VERY rare. So is Android gaming worth getting excited about? Hell no, not even close.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The whole mobile market has gone insane with these terrible free to play/ridiculous expensive games. However there are certainly some good games especially for the tegra devices in the nvidia tegra store that look lovely, you buy them and they work. You just have to avoid all the terrible F2P games.

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Not really.. and right now it's just a flood of Flappy Bird clones. Wow what a dumb game

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
Almost everything says 'in app purchases', so I don't even bother trying them.

About the only thing I play is a free Tetris app.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
I would have to agree with the crowd here, Android gaming is currently a snoozefest. I have about 25 games on my tablet and the vast majority are tower defense themed. Except for the likes of P vs Z the rest are pretty bland.

justin4pack

Jan 21, 2012
I play a real fun time passer called blocky roads on android. Its like hill climb but tracks are better.

Skott

Diamond Member
Oct 4, 2005
No. Everything I see wants you to pay to play. Its far worse than anything I have seen on the pc.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
TAP TAP TAP SWIPE!

SWIPE SWIPE SWIIIIPE TAP!!

Yeah, it's great.

The problem with touch screens is a lot of developers don't know how to make games for them. Extra Credits did an episode on it a few months back.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBHircZu5EI

Pay-to-win is also a big issue. There are some games now that even harass you to play them by putting out push notifications. I had one that sent me two messages bugging me to play within 10min of each other, in the middle of the night. That's the fastest way you can possibly get me to delete your app.

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I've been playing Dead trigger. I like it so far, but the IAP's get on my nerves. No, I don't want to pay $5 for a health pack and $30 for a shotgun.

I'm currently playing FIFA 14 as well. I only had to spend about $4 to unlock manager mode and other stuff as well. I don't mind paying $4 as long as it's a one time fee. This game has IAPs as well, but you don't need to spend more money to enjoy the game.

The worst offender was Sims FreePlay. Everything happens in real time. Want you Sim to watch a movie? Well that's going to take 2 hours. LOL... Who wants to sit around for 2 hours waiting for your Sim to finish watching a movie. You can speed things up, but you need Life Points and they can be expensive. They did this deliberately. They want you to buy Simoleons and Life Points. They understand people and how we operate. People are impatient, and when we become impatient we are going to make bad decisions. I was one of those people. I wanted to enjoy the game, so I must of spent $10 on LP. Finally, I had enough and uninstalled the game. Pity because I thought it was a good game.

Last edited:

yepp

Jul 30, 2006
Since discovering Pool Break, I've probably spent more time with it than playing my Steam games.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
I have these games on my phone:
Airport Mania 2
Asphalt 8
CSR Racing
Dead Trigger 2
Deus Ex: The Fall
Heroes of Dragon Age
Epoch
Transformers Legends
Modern Combat 4
Minion Rush
Assassin's Creed Pirates
Pocket Trains
PvZ 2
Shadow Blade

I played the expensive, high-budget (relatively), and heavy(graphically, storywise, gameplay) ones far less than I have played the simplistic, cheap (or free) games.

TF Legends, HoDA and CSR Racing have taken up most of my gaming time on the phone.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Beyond games from Kairosoft (which are kind of all so samey that they might as well be the same game), nothing is really exciting.

Pixel Dungeon is the hands down best Roguelike on the Android market though. I'd recommend that any one try it.

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
FIFA 14 is pretty damn decent on the phone.

KT

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I play a real fun time passer called blocky roads on android. Its like hill climb but tracks are better.

I liked that one too. I'm a big fan of these types of games, where you're earning money to upgrade to get a little further, but you need to upgrade more to get a little further yet.

I've liked them starting with just flash games of the same type... like Hedgehog Launch: http://armorgames.com/play/1760/hedgehog-launch

Or burrito bison: http://games.adultswim.com/burrito-bison-revenge-twitchy-online-game.html

Is there a name for these types of games? I have no idea why I like them, but I do but I don't know what to search for to find more.

OCNewbie

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2000
I've had a lot of fun with Kingdom Rush Frontiers. I never did play the original Kingdom Rush.

I'm also playing Final Fantasy V, and enjoying that a good bit. I'd never played any of the FF games, but I remember an old friend playing them on his Nintendo, back in the day.