Question Is AMD Adrenalin Performance Tuning any good? More specific: GPU

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Ex-Nvidia control panel user here so I am practically new to AMD software tuning.
Just got my new 7900xtx and I am already tuning fans and power for certain games and I have not yet done anything else beyond that so I thought to myself why not post something here to see what other mates have to say.
Is it safe and reliable in terms of CTD/lag/freezes ?
I am considering to use the feature like Automatic Tuning Undervolt GPU in the summer since it's warm in my game room (upstairs).
Your thoughts?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
YMMV, I don't undervolt either my CPU or GPU so can't comment on stability there. With overclocks if you push too hard I have noticed the driver will crash and reload but you have to really be trying to hard lock the system. It's easy to tune your card using the built in OC tool.

I deal with an ambient temp of around 27C for much of the year. I use a combination of capping the "max frequency" of my GPU to 90% and using Radeon Chill to cap my FPS when idle to 120fps and 239fps max. This can drastically cut down on my power usage for less demanding games while keeping things smooth for my monitor's 240Hz refresh rate.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
YMMV, I don't undervolt either my CPU or GPU so can't comment on stability there. With overclocks if you push too hard I have noticed the driver will crash and reload but you have to really be trying to hard lock the system. It's easy to tune your card using the built in OC tool.

I deal with an ambient temp of around 27C for much of the year. I use a combination of capping the "max frequency" of my GPU to 90% and using Radeon Chill to cap my FPS when idle to 120fps and 239fps max. This can drastically cut down on my power usage for less demanding games while keeping things smooth for my monitor's 240Hz refresh rate.

Will give it a try.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I just tried the auto undervolt feature in the Radeon software, it seems to work fine so far, it selected 1125mV. May as well try it, and then see how it goes.

I will say recently, I have been getting a fair amount of random CTD in COW MWII, so I am not sure what is going on. I have tried different underclocks, default GPU settings, verifying game files, and different settings for in game graphics. It could very well just be COD being buggy though.

Also, from my understanding the stress GPU button in the Radeon software is still buggy, at least last time I checked here. It will load the GPU for about 5 seconds, and then drop to idle clocks.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Starting on page 5 of this thread there are a couple of us that were tuning our 6800XTs. While the card isn't the same I think some of the discussion there answers some of your questions. I've managed to tune 2 6800XTs using the adrenaline software and was able to achieve stock performance while lowering the power from about 270W to 200W, also lowering temps quite a bit.

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
I have not done anything fancy just yet as far as oc my 7900xtx and I intend not to either.
The Adrenaline software looks like it was developed in 21st century whereas where I was from (NVIDIA). Its software looks like it came from Win 97.

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
For my reference 7900XTX

i'm running a 0% power limit and 1100 from 1150 Voltage so light undervolt.

Keeping the power limit to 0% to keep power consumption in the 350watt range.

If I slide that up to 15% I get close to 400 watts usage.

When I slap an AIO on this GPU then I will push that power limit for now i'm good.

reference tweak 7900xtx.jpg

Last edited:

videopho

Diamond Member
Apr 8, 2005
Is it the Global settings?
I've had the card over a month now so I am gaining experience as I go along.
I have similar settings like what the previous poster did for my global settings.
For game specific I tailor each game settings as I look at my fps and junction temps.
Junction temps were and still are my number #1 concern as my other previous 7900 xtx cards did not fare too well. (highs in 100s)
And I finally struck gold with the Hellhounder card where my junction temps are mostly in the 80 or lower for all games. (knock on wood).

Makaveli

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2002
Is it the Global settings?
I've had the card over a month now so I am gaining experience as I go along.
I have similar settings like what the previous poster did for my global settings.
For game specific I tailor each game settings as I look at my fps and junction temps.
Junction temps were and still are my number #1 concern as my other previous 7900 xtx cards did not fare too well. (highs in 100s)
And I finally struck gold with the Hellhounder card where my junction temps are mostly in the 80 or lower for all games. (knock on wood).
Open the adrenaline software.

Then click on the performance tab then tuning.

1681872012824.jpeg

This is performance tuning for the whole card not game specific that is in gaming tab.