Question Is Alder Lake (12th-Gen Intel) unsupported on newest edition of Win10? Chipset/IGP drivers refuse to install. (use mobo driver)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Still sitting on an "MS Basic Display Adapter", after countless Windows Updates, and installing the Intel driver optional updates.

Went to Downloadcenter.intel.com , grabbed 12th-Gen Xe video drivers for Win10/Win11, grabbed chipset setup .exe , neither one of them will install, claims unsupported.

I'm running a Pentium Gold G7400 in an Asus Z690M-Plus D4 mobo. XMP was set, Silicon Power 2x8GB DDR4-3200, other than that, no real tweaks, although the Asus BIOS defaulted to Intel VMD enabled.

Why aren't Intel's own utilities installing? I guess I can go check out Asus's site.

Edit: Hmm, Chipset, VGA, LAN, Realtek, MEI drivers all installed onto Win10 from Asus's mobo site. Good thing!

Is this the start of mobo vendor balkanization of drives? Why wouldn't the general Intel drivers work? Frustrating.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020
Intel is lazy. All those developers they have and they can't design a simple utility that checks what Intel hardware you have and then downloads and installs the latest driver for everything detected?