Is Abit BX133 Raid a good choice?

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
It's a good board based on specs, but BX is getting old, and lots of people fear Abit's reliability.
I own several BH6/BX6R2 and have not had a problem. But that was years before they start mass production... mass production leads to mass defects.

I haven't bought an Abit board for a while but IDE raid isn't as good. Get a good i815 board or VIA and get a real raid card with cache memory.

judgmentday1

Dec 12, 1999
I'm considering to get the CUSL2, but after noticing many of those problems posting by people in different forums, I'm kind of having second thoughts about it.

1) memory problems (not reading pc133 or not working at all under that speed)
2) Not detecting the hard drive when booting
3) Unable to use the USB ports
4) Compatibility issues with some pci cards
5) Compatibility problems with Celerons
6) Problems while upgrading the bios, etc.

Have you have these problems?

If people have these problems, how can reviewers say that is an excellent motherboard?

In the other hand, I have seen reviews where the Abit BX133-Raid is the King in transfer rates, see this: site:
http://www.gamepc.com/reviews/printreview.asp?review=bx133raid

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
People get lucky, some people get cheap parts.. but it's also problem with those 815 inf.. it's a bit of everyone fault. Intel not letting people know which inf to use, etc. people using really cheap memory, bad bios programing from asus.

You can always give it a try but I just don't like to run agp too high up to 89mhz. There are ther board, msi 815 pro seems to be a good alternative to the Asus cusl2

Vegito

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 1999
I checked... RAID 0 = bad.. one drive fail, kiss both goodbye. RAID 1 is acceptable but sluggish.

Only reason that board is fast is due to the RAID but you're better off using RAID 5 scsi if you don't want to kiss the data good bye..

But yeah, Raid 0 is fast..

pyr

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Abit has totally AWFUL reliability. Get something else. As someone who has built ~30 systems using Abit board (with almost 50% of them needing new MBs within a few months to 2 years) I have been totally plauged by problems with them. They are AWFUL! Got a problem? Abit says "Screw you" Youll never get tech support for them at all. Want to RMA? remember that theoretical 1year warranty? Abit will tell you 'contact the seller not us' and of course almost all sellers will only give you a 30day warranty. Abit may have great performance, but they fail WAY too often.

dugr

Apr 5, 2000
I have an ABIT BX6 rev 2 MB and had about a year. I tried to install an MX card in the AGP slot but it just won t run...I tried everythin incld those Tweak files to push you slot to 2X..nothing...I was thinking of getting a new ABIT board...I post a thread but didnt get many bites...I always thought ABIT was good..Maybe I did get a defective board....Need a recommendation for my new cpu..Cel 566 oc/ to 850...which board..I need at least 1 isa slot but 2 would be nice...

judgmentday1

Dec 12, 1999
Dugr,

I'm testing the Soyo 6BA+100 and so far is very stable and it has the 2 ISA slots that you need. I put my eyes on this one first, because I have a very good audio card that is ISA and very good modem that is ISA also. I don't overclock.
Second mobo to test is gonna be the Asus CUSL2
and last in my list is the MSI 815 Pro.

I'll keep the one with less problems. It'll be fun to test them myself with my own hardware

judgmentday1

Dec 12, 1999
>>Abit has totally AWFUL reliability. Get something else. As someone who has built ~30 systems using Abit board (with almost 50% of them needing new MBs within a few months to 2 years) I have been totally plauged by problems with them. They are AWFUL! Got a problem? Abit says "Screw you" Youll never get tech support for them at all. Want to RMA? remember that theoretical 1year warranty? Abit will tell you 'contact the seller not us' and of course almost all sellers will only give you a 30day warranty. Abit may have great performance, but they fail WAY too often.

Pyr,
Thank you for your input, for opening my eyes.

Kill_Phil

Golden Member
Nov 14, 1999
tru dat, i was gung ho on the kt7-raid but now im thinking.. better ask my parts supplier about warrenties from abit boards.

Kappo

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2000
Actually pyr,

I have built quite a few systems with ABIT boards, and use them often for my personal use as well. Granted they do have problems, but not any more or less than say ASUS. I have had to RMA several of them and they were actually really nice to me about it...but that is just me I guess...;)

dabuddha

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
i've had this bh6 for at least 3 years or so if my memory serves me correctly (who knows these days :)
i've had zero problems with it and purchased a sl6 as well
maybe i've been lucky..
i personally recommend abit to everyone i know but maybe ill do some more research
what would be recommended for a new motherboard that's good for overclocking and has to have the softmenu type settings
i've hated jumpers since being stabbed by my xt :)