Is a truck with plastic bumpers still a truck?

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
In an effort to make trucks more like passenger vehicles (I guess to make them more marketable), I've seen steel bumpers going away in favor of plastic/fiberglass. I've seen more than one fender-bender involving a truck, and in general a steel bumper fairs quite a bit better than the soft plastic object that hits it. So, what do you think?

d33pt

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2001
yeah but it would prob cost $1500+ to replace that plastic in a 5mph bump

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
My F-150 has a steel bumper with a plastic fascia underneath. Some b*tch backed into me in parking lot and the bumper was fine, but the fascia cracked.

That small fascia was only $100 thank god, but that's with me doing all the labor.

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
It depends. Fiberglass isn't much good, but I've seen some plastic bumpers that hold up really well. I'm reminded of the plastic grilles on Chevy's older work trucks, you remember the kind that you could take a Louisville Slugger to and they wouldn't crack?

ZV

busmaster11

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Plastic is the bumper cover. The bumpers are not plastic. Only old school hill-billy trucks have no bumper covers... :)

iamwiz82

Lifer
Jan 10, 2001
Originally posted by: busmaster11
Plastic is the bumper cover. The bumpers are not plastic. Only old school hill-billy trucks have no bumper covers... :)

I will be running minus bumper covers soon :)

tarheelmm

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2002
Would have to be by todays standards. Find me a new truck with good chrome bumpers at least.

RossGr

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2000
My dad was a truck driver, he always differenitated between his truck and the pickup. You guys are all talking about pickups, right?

Many pickups today are simply cars without a back seat and the bed is useless also, whats wrong with plastic bumbers? I have seen them lowered and so dolled up that they cannot even begin to perform as a "truck" (LOL) .

Sorry, pet peev.! :)

Zenmervolt

Elite member
Oct 22, 2000
Originally posted by: RossGr
My dad was a truck driver, he always differenitated between his truck and the pickup. You guys are all talking about pickups, right?

Many pickups today are simply cars without a back seat and the bed is useless also, whats wrong with plastic bumbers? I have seen them lowered and so dolled up that they cannot even begin to perform as a "truck" (LOL) .

Sorry, pet peev.! :)
Yeah, I'm not a fan of a lot of the new designs. I remember when my uncle got a new S-10 (replacing his old S-10) and was upset because the step bumper on the new truck "doesn't have a place to put a hitch-ball" and that meant he couldn't tow the fire dept's SAR boat. (He's an EMT and we live in a town on a river.) He hadn't noticed that the holes were now covered by a pop-out plastic part because most people didn't use them. When I get a truck, (pickup, not a semi) I'm going to beat the crap out of it. A truck it for hauling/towing. If you're afraid of getting the truck dirty, you ain't using it right.

ZV