Is a parking lot ever public property?

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
So after work today I took my usual skateboard route through a shopping center parking lot. I'm not causing any trouble or disturbance whatsoever, just getting my daily cardio in. Pretty much going in a big circle around the lot with a few flip tricks thrown in every now and then. I avoid the sidewalks near the actual stores and stick just to the blacktop.

10 minutes into it a security guard on his bike pulls up to me. Says I have to leave or he will call the cops. Now keep in mind I don't look or act like some punk 14 year old skater stereotype. So I engage in a little friendly convo about the property and how there are NO signs anywhere in the parking warning against skating (i look for these things). No dice, he says that it's a liability issue because it's a private parking lot and that I could sue if I hurt myself. I wasn't really sure about the accuracy on that so I decided to skate home and call it a day. Before I left I got the name of the grounds management company though.

My question, is it highly likely that I indeed have no rights to skate through this parking lot despite the lack of any signage? I plan on at least contacting the management company and not going off of just what the security guard says. This pretty much blows since there are no other smooth skate spots anywhere near my apartment complex. Do I have any leverage going into this?

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
If it is a private lot (which is very likely) they can ask anyone to leave for any reason.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
No. Parking lots at places like shopping centers are not public property. They are indeed private property.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
No, they dont want you there because if you cause an accident your mom will sue.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
err, they bought the land and turned it into a parking lot. It's private. Technically speaking, if you were not going to the mall, you can't even walk through the parking lot as short cut. But they don't have the time to enforce that. Skateboarding will for sure call them down on you though.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
yup, skateboarders are annoying when in parking lots...frankly drivers have enough to deal with pedestrians without some kinds flying around.

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: joshsquall
He's right, you're wrong.

I never actually presented a counter argument to the fellow. I simply pointed out the absence of signs, which we could both agree on.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07
No. Even on public property you can be kicked off.

Yep. A few parks in my area have skate parks. Skaters can be asked to leave if they start skating in an area of the park other than the skate park.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
it is private property....anytime there is a fender bender in a lot the police cannot do much because it is considered private property and it is usually left for the insurance companies to hammer out.

So yes, they can ask anyone to leave at anytime.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: BZeto

I never actually presented a counter argument to the fellow. I simply pointed out the absence of signs, which we could both agree on.

Do I need a sign in my driveway saying 'No Skateboarding'? No.

QED

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2005
You sound like a nice guy and all-- but what in the world makes you think you would have a right to skateboard on someone else's property?

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000

Common sense shouldn't need a sign. Sadly it appears that it does. :(

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001

I don't need a sign to kick your trespassing ass off my lawn or out of my house. That lot is there for the patrons of the mall, it's not your playground.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
There are parking lots that are public property, they're usually indicated with a white sign with a large green P. But you probably can't skate there either.

Soundmanred

Lifer
Oct 26, 2006

I just got a murder charge dropped because they didn't post a "no murdering of any persons" sign.
Disclaimer: The above story is not true.

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001

Heh. Why do you think we warning signs on products like strollers that say, "Warning: Do not fold with child in stroller."

altonb1

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2002
Just skate on the street. SKATE OR DIE....

<shrugs> I'm too old to post that crap above. sheesh.

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
I am free to jack any car in a parking lot if there is no sign against it? Yes!!!

BZeto

Platinum Member
Apr 28, 2002
Originally posted by: QED
You sound like a nice guy and all-- but what in the world makes you think you would have a right to skateboard on someone else's property?

That's why I posted here, I never really considered parking lots to be private property. Looks like I was wrong though.

I pretty much consider my skateboard as a means of transportation, similiar to a bicycle. Do you think that security guard would have stopped someone on a bike for riding through the parking lot? I highly doubt it.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Queasy

Heh. Why do you think we warning signs on products like strollers that say, "Warning: Do not fold with child in stroller."

Or a sign that says "Warning! Do not fold with cat in computer!"

waffleironhead

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
Did he say "Dont talk to me like that I'm not your dad" and then try to tackle you and take away your board?