Is a Desktop steamroller coming or not?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
You keep avoiding the big flaw in your arguments. AMD choose not to use that same chip in single socket servers. Yet for some unknown reason you state it will be used in desktops. On an old obsolete platform they are working to get rid of.

And you are keep trolling. How many times should i say WAIT and SEE then Conclude ????

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
And you are keep trolling. How many times should i say WAIT and SEE then Conclude ????

That is not trolling.

Why wait and see? We know that the best AMD is willing to offer for AM3+ is PileDriver - a 2 year old architecture. Why bother?

Even if PileDriver is die shrunk, anyone with half a brain would rather buy SteamRoller, which AMD is not willing to sell us for AM3+.

EDIT: Just because you disagree with someone, does not mean he is trolling.

USER8000

Golden Member
Jun 23, 2012
People forget that Warsaw is an MCM of two 8 core PD dies,optimised for improved performance/watt. So it is likely that over the year,we will get slightly tweaked PD based AM3+ CPUs, even if they are salvage parts which did not quite make the standard for their server CPUs.

Last edited:

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Dont thing so.

1d8c1268_mCWPBcX.png

Wow, blast from the past there, I worked with Gary on an interview with a local Dallas newspaper when he was still with TI.

Gary doesn't seem to be confirming anything beyond the fact that there are roadmap changes they are making internally now but won't be telling us about them until later in the year.

His statement regarding AM3+ is ambiguous at best and totally open to interpretation.

Saying AM3+ will be available for years to come is no different than saying AM2 will be available for years to come, legacy products don't vacate the marketplace overnight.

I am sure AMD will continue to make available the 8350, 9370, and 9590 for years to come. And I am sure mobo makers like ASUS will continue to make available their existing AM3+ mobos for years to come as well.

But none of that is the same as steamroller coming to AM3+, or new chipsets coming to AM3+ with which new and more advanced AM3+ mobos will be developed around.

So your question never really got answered, or perhaps it did but we just want to take the most optimistic interpretation of it and hold out hope that newer big cores are coming to AM3+?

seitur

Jul 12, 2013
I guess it's possible that they will release a Steamroller-based Athlon.
I would say that it is almost certain. It is same chip as APU after all, just with GPU turned off and chaper price. Of course they may come bit later than APUs.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
That is not trolling.

EDIT: Just because you disagree with someone, does not mean he is trolling.

Trolling is an Internet slang term used to describe any Internet user behavior that is meant to intentionally anger or frustrate someone else.
How many times did i state that my response to the AM3+ future is WAIT and SEE ??

He keeps pushing his agenda, he FUDs about AM3+ and AMD products all the time without having a single piece of information to provide.
We havent seen any 2013-2014 desktop roadmap yet, when we have the information we can make any conclusions we like, untill then we wait and see.

If you will like to speculate, do so but also state that you are speculating. Dont present your speculation as facts. ;)

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
How many times did i state that my response to the AM3+ future is WAIT and SEE ??

He keeps pushing his agenda, he FUDs about AM3+ and AMD products all the time without having a single piece of information to provide.
We havent seen any 2013-2014 desktop roadmap yet, when we have the information we can make any conclusions we like, untill then we wait and see.

If you will like to speculate, do so but also state that you are speculating. Dont present your speculation as facts. ;)

Then the answer to every bit of speculation about upcoming products is always going to be Wait and See, and we will have no discussions on Anandtech at all. Obviously we will know all the facts if we wait long enough, the point is, we are SPECULATING.

You are just getting irritated because our speculation is negative towards AMD, not positive.

Nobody is presenting speculation as facts - where do you see that?

People on the Internet are going to have different opinions to you - get used to it.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Wow, blast from the past there, I worked with Gary on an interview with a local Dallas newspaper when he was still with TI.

Gary doesn't seem to be confirming anything beyond the fact that there are roadmap changes they are making internally now but won't be telling us about them until later in the year.

His statement regarding AM3+ is ambiguous at best and totally open to interpretation.

Saying AM3+ will be available for years to come is no different than saying AM2 will be available for years to come, legacy products don't vacate the marketplace overnight.

I am sure AMD will continue to make available the 8350, 9370, and 9590 for years to come. And I am sure mobo makers like ASUS will continue to make available their existing AM3+ mobos for years to come as well.

But none of that is the same as steamroller coming to AM3+, or new chipsets coming to AM3+ with which new and more advanced AM3+ mobos will be developed around.

So your question never really got answered, or perhaps it did but we just want to take the most optimistic interpretation of it and hold out hope that newer big cores are coming to AM3+?

My response was to the FUD about AM3+ is dead. I have never said that the information i have presented is about Steamroller on AM3+. But it does says about upcoming Desktop roadmaps. Thats why i said lets wait for those roadmaps and then we make any conclusions. ;)

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Then the answer to every bit of speculation about upcoming products is always going to be Wait and See, and we will have no discussions on Anandtech at all. Obviously we will know all the facts if we wait long enough, the point is, we are SPECULATING.

You are just getting irritated because our speculation is negative towards AMD, not positive.

Nobody is presenting speculation as facts - where do you see that?

People on the Internet are going to have different opinions to you - get used to it.

AM3+ is dead.

Speculation is fine by me, we are all speculate when we dont have the information, but we dont FUD or miss inform people because we have an agenda. ;)

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
Then the answer to every bit of speculation about upcoming products is always going to be Wait and See,

You dont make any conclusion until you have the information. You can speculate all you want but only after the information/data in available you can make a safe conclusion. And as of this moment we can only speculate, drawing any conclusions now will be wrong.

I thought that was common knowledge

Gikaseixas

Platinum Member
Jul 1, 2004
OP what we know so far is that Kaveri APU is coming 1Q14 and it does have 4 (maybe 2 too) Steamroller cores. Kaveri will not be high end and so far nobody knows for sure if AMD will or will not release another high end cpu based on Steamroller. The GPU will have much more horsepower than what we have right now.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
The difference is that ShintaiDK FUDs

An exemple of blatant disinformation below :

If you want Steamroller you need FM2+ and only that.

And it will be sometimes in Q1 2014, if not later.

What AMD said recently :

AMD’s ‘Kaveri’ high-performance APU remains on track and will start shipping to customers in Q4 2013, with first public availability in the desktop component channel very early in Q1 2014

http://www.overclockers.com/amd-confirms-kaveri-show-2014/

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Really? I am sure this was on track too:

You could imagine than 4 months before launch an AMD representative wouldnt take the risk to say channel availability is for very early in Q1 2014
if the product wasnt in good shape to met this schedule.

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
That's expected from ShinteiDK. Now post something Intel related and you'll see the tone changing right away.

Myself i m not and was never related to any techie corporate
in any way , i ve once asked him what about his own case
and still waiting for an answer....

Abwx

Lifer
Apr 2, 2011
Wait, let me get this straight: Shintai saying "2014, at the earliest", and your link, with AMD reps saying, "2014, at the earliest" is misinformation in the AMD world? Really? This is the very antithesis of FUD or disinformation.

He said Q1 2014 if not later.

The AMD representative said very early in Q1 2014 ,
that s more precise than "2014 at the earliest" wich
could then as well be Q4 2014....or even 2015.

Last edited:
Aug 11, 2008

So if the chip came out early in the first quarter of 2014, would not both statements be correct? Shintais statement allows for the possibility that the chip will come out Jan 1, 2014, or any time later than that. Just because he qualifies it with the possibility that it will be later does not mean he is spreading FUD about amd. In fact it seems a very reasonable statement. Honestly, of all the things Shintai says, to attack him based on this statement is beyond absurd.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
That's expected from ShinteiDK. Now post something Intel related and you'll see the tone changing right away.

Myself i m not and was never related to any techie corporate
in any way , i ve once asked him what about his own case
and still waiting for an answer....

Guys, you are both drifting dangerously towards the very kind of meta-commentary regarding another member that you've already been made aware the moderators in this forum disapprove of...and you know there is a sticky detailing that infractions now come with vacations at the same time :whiste:

I suggest you find better ways of "attacking the message, not the messenger" lest you risk running afoul of our less patient moderators ;)

Lay off the meta-commentary, debunk the assertions of the post itself or just let it go.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
You could imagine than 4 months before launch an AMD representative wouldnt take the risk to say channel availability is for very early in Q1 2014
if the product wasnt in good shape to met this schedule.

I see no reason for the chip to not be available on schedule as surely by now GloFo has the bugs worked out of their 28nm process and AMD has good visibility into the yields and wafer capacity.

It is a rather unusual availability timing though. Q1 isn't usually regarded as a high-demand timeframe for corporate or consumer buyers.

If I had to guess I bet AMD was intending to target a late Q3 or early Q4 (2013) release to hit the streets before xmas and thanksgiving buying. (no business would intentionally set about to create a 4yr development roadmap whereby they miss the peak buying season by a few months)

So I wonder what internally slipped to cause the timing to be Q1 like it is going to be.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012

Q1 2014 or later is a more realistic timeframe for desktop Kaveri. Vr-zone got a roadmap and they stated March-April as a launch timeframe. Public marketing statements from AMD are not that trustworthy. Over the year they implied Kaveri is coming in mid 2013, it was a marketing trick.

AtenRa

Lifer
Feb 2, 2009
I see no reason for the chip to not be available on schedule as surely by now GloFo has the bugs worked out of their 28nm process and AMD has good visibility into the yields and wafer capacity.

It is a rather unusual availability timing though. Q1 isn't usually regarded as a high-demand timeframe for corporate or consumer buyers.

If I had to guess I bet AMD was intending to target a late Q3 or early Q4 (2013) release to hit the streets before xmas and thanksgiving buying. (no business would intentionally set about to create a 4yr development roadmap whereby they miss the peak buying season by a few months)

So I wonder what internally slipped to cause the timing to be Q1 like it is going to be.

Most probable lower than expected Trinity/Ritchland Desktop sales. Like Intel, they never released a new product before Xmas, its bad for the OEMs and your stock. You leave the old staff until the end of the holidays and then you introduce the new products in January or late Q2 for the BtS time.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Nothing is stopping AMD from making an 8-core Steamroller chip on the FM2+ platform.