is 40k/year enough to buy a 160-210k house? EDIT 130k?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Mark R

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Most banks will only loan about 3.5x your salary (minus other loans), if you're willing to accept slightly higher interest then you will find plenty that will offer 4x, and possibly 4.5x. Higher than that is unlikely unless there are special circumstances (e.g. your contract stipulates a 50% pay rise after 1 year, or something).

So, if you earn 40k, and pay $200 a month on your bike loan - many banks would use a figure of about 37k for income. You may find the bank may accept your word on your additional income - but you will probably have to prove it (either with pay slips, or certified accounts if it's 'self-employed' work). A number of banks are very reluctant to count 'additional' income if it is irregular.

So, an income of 37k would probably get you a $150k loan.

The value of the property you could buy would be determined by how much downpayment you can make. In general you should make about 5-10% to be guaranteed the best mortgage rates.

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: dullard

1) He said $210k max - $10k down = $200k mortgage, $1000/mo for interest. You are correct that extras would add to that, so lets say $1600+/mo (still less than your $1800+). However he would never be approved for that number, so why use it in your post? You took the max number and ignored the minimum or our recommendations or what he will actually be approved for. A more realistic $130k house -$10k down = $700/mo interest. Add in $500/mo for the extras and we are at ~$1200/mo.
Well, yeah. Now that we are talking about $130K, that's ok - but the OP was asking about a $210K max. I may be focusing on the max price, but your number wasn't even included in the price-range given by OP ($160-210K).

The math doesn't care how long he stays or how many houses he switches too. The principal still adds, and he can move that built up principal into the downpayment of the next house/houses. If he keeps buying houses for the same price that he sells his current house, then he'll have it paid off in ~30 years no matter how many houses he buys.
Assuming his homes never lose value, which is never a guarantee. Assuming the value stays the same, after 5 years, he'll have $7000 in principle equity, on top of his initial $10K down-payment, but he will have spent almost $50k in interest, on top of insurance and taxes.

I'm not saying buying a house is a bad idea, I'm just saying that it's not automatically a good idea.

Yes, we all agree not to overextend yourself.
Yes, so WTF are we arguing about? :p

johnjbruin

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2001
WTF

You make 40K and take home 2600/month.

I make 60K and take home 3400 every month.

Are my taxes messed up?

MadPeriot

Golden Member
Dec 5, 2003
I think its doable but I suggest get a roommate to help out with the utilities, HOA, and other expenses. My brother moved in with me to help me out. I'm making 65-70K, but only bringing home little over 3K/month (investing in 401, tax, benefits taken out). And I purchased a condo for 446K with 20% down. My mortage payment is $2000/month. I just got it a month ago, and seems doable as of now.

zebano

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2005
Way too much. An little story here. My wife got pregnant so we decided to buy a home.. I was making 47k/year, my wife is a substitute teach, so we dont plan on any money there (plus she would soon be a stay at home mom). We asked to be approved for 120k, the mortage company and real estate agent said "thats all"?

They are not on your side.

We eventually bought a 113k home and had a kid. on 47k, we were barely scraping by between child expenses and home expenses (it's hard to curtail your spending). Not only that but homes need constant maintenance. You may think that 700/mo for an apartment is a black hole, but consider this. I spend ~4 hours a week on the house, and my wife spends much more in general housework. Having a landlord who mows, shovels, fixes broken appliances etc. yields lots of free time and unbudgeted funds. It sounds like your young, start saving (both for a down payment and and emergency fund - save 10-20% of every paycheck, compounding is your friend), live it up and enjoy that disposable income (and free time).

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
Originally posted by: zebano
Way too much. An little story here. My wife got pregnant so we decided to buy a home.. I was making 47k/year, my wife is a substitute teach, so we dont plan on any money there (plus she would soon be a stay at home mom). We asked to be approved for 120k, the mortage company and real estate agent said "thats all"?

We eventually bought a 113k home and had a kid. on 47k, we were barely scraping by between child expenses and home expenses (it's hard to curtail your spending). Not only that but homes need constant maintenance. You may think that 700/mo for an apartment is a black hole, but consider this. I spend ~4 hours a week on the house, and my wife spends much more in general housework. Having a landlord who mows, shovels, fixes broken appliances etc. yields lots of free time and unbudgeted funds. It sounds like your young, start saving (both for a down payment and and emergency fund - save 10-20% of every paycheck, compounding is your friend), live it up and enjoy that disposable income (and free time).

ftw

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: zebano

Zebano, just gave you a little heads up, I suggest you take his advise. I couldn't imagine buying a $160,000 house with a 40K income. You will have ZERO savings, no money to buy anything to go INTO the house, and when an emergency comes up (and they always do), you are going to be heading in a downward spiral REALLY fast.

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
rule of thumb is around 4x your gross annual salary, in your case 5x is pushing it but if you get a roommate to help pay down the mortgage, i'd say go for it!

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
When I purchased my home last year, the loan was for 178k@5.5% apr for 30 years fixed and I pay a total of $1300 each month which includes PMI, principal, and the escrow account with covers taxes and insurance. This was in a fairly low tax area of Ohio which leads me to believe a similiar loan in your area would be at least $1500/month. My typical utility bill for gas/electric/water/sewer/phone/cable/internet is around $350/month. I would expect you to be closer to $2000/month in house and utilities. That would not leave you with anything a month for food, savings, car, bike, car insurance, and just general going to the store and getting a pair of pants. Now that my wife is divorcing me, I'm not longer able to afford this burden on my own and I make rougly $55k a year. I would hate to try to maintain this on $40k a year without sacrificing a comfortable living.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Payment on 160k will be roughly 1000 a month, give or take, depending on your interest rate. If you get a good one, it'll be under 1 grand.

When considering a house payment you MUST consider insurance and property taxes.

Depending on where you live, that could add 300-1000 a month on a 200K house.

Then you need to figure the maintenance costs and the price of remodels/landscaping/decorating.

Just because you think you can afford the basic loan payment does NOT mean you can afford the true cost of the house.

At 40K a year, the most I would buy, if you were otherwise debt free, would be 120K.

Exactly and don't get trapped into a intrest only or back loaded loan thinking you'll miraculously make more money.

Fiqure $1000 month for every $130,000 right now, that's what I'd be shooting for max on your income.

Budmantom

Lifer
Aug 17, 2002
That's really stretching it, but you should be able to get approved for at least 160k.

Tom

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: johnjbruin
WTF

Are my taxes messed up?

Thats the first thing I was going to post.
NO fricking way bring home pay on $40K is $2600.

Gross income is $767/wk so you're lucky if you even take home $600.
And Georgia had state income tax.
I don't see how your take home is $2600 on a $40K salary.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Originally posted by: CTrain
Originally posted by: johnjbruin
WTF

Are my taxes messed up?

Thats the first thing I was going to post.
NO fricking way bring home pay on $40K is $2600.

Gross income is $767/wk so you're lucky if you even take home $600.
And Georgia had state income tax.
I don't see how your take home is $2600 on a $40K salary.

i dont even take home that much and i make $45K/yr (before bonuses)

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ameesh
rule of thumb is around 4x your gross annual salary, in your case 5x is pushing it but if you get a roommate to help pay down the mortgage, i'd say go for it!

4x?!

I've always heard 2 to 2X from real estate agents. Even 3X seems pushing it to me.

Figure, with interest rates around 5 to 6%, you can estimate a principle and interest payment of about $6 per $1,000 borrowed. So, a loan of $160,000 (assuming 100% borrowed), would have a principle and interest of about $960. Add to that your taxes, insurance, and home owners association and you have a monthly payment in the $1100 to $1200 range.

axnff

Dec 1, 2000
I agree with most of the points above, particularly 1) Since you will likely move soon, you will not recover your investment. 2) It's too damn much.

A lot of people are throwing around what they think your payments will be, but they can't possibly know without knowing exactly where you're looking. In my area (Omaha, NE), property taxes range from 2 to over 3% of the property value per year. So taxes on a 160k house will range from $267 to $400 per month. In other parts of the country, those taxes would pay for a $5 million home. Add to that homeowner's insurance which (in my area) could range from $400 to $4000 annually for that value of house (depending on where it is located and your coverage options). Then you have PMI which could range from $170-400 monthly, depending on the lender and insurance provider. Assuming a 6% interest rate (may not be possible when you buy, depending on your credit and what kind of loan you get), and closing costs of $4k, you'll be financing $154k at $923/month. So this total mortgage payment could run from $1393 monthly (not likely) to $2056 monthly (also not likely), with a likely payment of, say, $1583 / month.

In my area, garbage collection is included in my taxes, but I still have about $250 monthly for 1600 sq ft for Electric/Gas/Water/Sewage. So the actual cost to own that house would be $1833. Add on your vehicle costs (nearly $400), and you have about $400 left over for food, gasoline, entertainment, telephone, internet, cable, saving for retirement, saving in general, saving for home repairs (your appliances will go out, you need to figure out how much life they realistically have, how much they'll cost to replace at that time, and save accordingly. This adds up). Not to mention lawnmower, snow shovels, weed whacker, sprinklers, hoses, furnace filters, possibly a refrigerator, paint, rekeyed locks, home inspection, decorating, the list goes on and on.

The real cost of buying and owning a house goes WAY beyond the monthly payment...

CraigRT

Lifer
Jun 16, 2000
Originally posted by: armatron
Originally posted by: SagaLore
No. On 40k/year, you should stay below 100k house.

that is absolutely impossible around here. To get a house at that price I'm looking at an hour and a half commute at least to work

I disagree anyways, you can go for a house worth more than $100k, but not a house worth $200k anyways.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
If I were you, I'd have a definate cap at $160 and really consider something in the $130s. That way, you'll have plenty of money in case you want to have some fun, furnish your house, or get a new ___ WHEN the old one blows (fill in the blank with lots of items).

$150/mo for bike insurance seems like a huge amount of money. With a 6% interest rate, that $150/mo will buy you $30k more house. At 7% interest, that $150/mo would buy you $25k more house. (Note: numbers in this paragraph don't consider extra taxes or insurance).
Originally posted by: codeyf
We bought our $192k house when I was making less than 40k. However, we also put ~35k down, and because my wife was a BofA employee at the time, they paid $5k towards closing costs. We overpay towards our principal now, and pay an even $1400/mo.
So you effectively paid for a ~$152k mortgage. That is a lot different than a $192k mortgage. And I bet you didn't have much money for furniture or emergencies. Interest rates are quite important too in this discussion. With another year of rate hikes, Armatron will probably be looking at 7% interest. Note: you didn't mention yours, so it is impossible to compare your situation with Armatron's.

Actually, we left ourselves with just shy of $10k in our savings. But good guess none the less ;)

The rate we got to start was ok, but not great. 6.75% iirc. Our refi was at less than a point less, I want to say 6.175%. Within a few months of our refi, it went below 6%, but at that point the difference between the rates wasn't enough to justify yet another refi.

codeyf

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Originally posted by: codeyf
We bought our $192k house when I was making less than 40k. However, we also put ~35k down, and because my wife was a BofA employee at the time, they paid $5k towards closing costs. . .

Big difference in your situation. What was your COMBINED income? I don't think the OP has a wife.

You're right, my wife was working part time, pulling in around $7-8k a year at the time. Basically working for benefits (and sanity).

necine

Diamond Member
Jan 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Amused
Originally posted by: Pacfanweb
Payment on 160k will be roughly 1000 a month, give or take, depending on your interest rate. If you get a good one, it'll be under 1 grand.

When considering a house payment you MUST consider insurance and property taxes.

Depending on where you live, that could add 300-1000 a month on a 200K house.

Then you need to figure the maintenance costs and the price of remodels/landscaping/decorating.

Just because you think you can afford the basic loan payment does NOT mean you can afford the true cost of the house.

At 40K a year, the most I would buy, if you were otherwise debt free, would be 120K.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Mermaidman
Originally posted by: armatron
Originally posted by: SagaLore
No. On 40k/year, you should stay below 100k house.

that is absolutely impossible around here. To get a house at that price I'm looking at an hour and a half commute at least to work
Just wait for the real estate bubble to burst. Seriously though, the housing situation is ridiculous for many people. The good thing is you're young and single--you don't need a house urgently.

if you can get a single family house in the area you live in for 160K there is no bubble to burst in that area