Iron Man 3: Currently 78% at RT.com (Post reviews here!)

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
I had assumed that AIM installed a remote control program when they upgraded the suit. It wasn't specifically mentioned though.

Hated AIM.

aim-delete-screenname-mac.png

ChairShot

May 6, 2003
Saw it in french over the weekend...

I liked it. Very entertaining. Humor translated pretty good too. 8/10

TrueBlueLS

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2001
I saw it tonight. I'll be so bold to say that I thought the 2nd was better than IM3. Am I the only one who thought the ending credits were ridiculously corny?

Harrod

Golden Member
Apr 3, 2010
Liked it better than the 2nd one, but I think the 1st one is probably the best.

badb0y

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2010
IM3 was the worst of the 3 for me. They ruined Mandarin so bad and what makes it worse was I was actually liking terrorist Mandarin. When they revealed the twist...
tumblr_lxkk4xACbR1qhmfkuo1_400.gif

dainthomas

Lifer
Dec 7, 2004
IM3 was the worst of the 3 for me. They ruined Mandarin so bad and what makes it worse was I was actually liking terrorist Mandarin. When they revealed the twist...
tumblr_lxkk4xACbR1qhmfkuo1_400.gif

Criticism of movie Mandarin based on how different he was from comic book Mandarin makes me laugh. Exactly 0.0000000000135% of people who saw the move actually read the relevant comic book (on ATOT more like 90%), therefore they don't care about the differences and they will tell their friends how great the movie was and it will make dump trucks full of money. Were they supposed to spend forever explaining crash landed aliens from planet Whothehellcares and their magic rings just to make internet nerds happy?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i read a lot of comics growing up but i wasn't like huge on iron man or anything, but i had no clue mandarin was even from the comic books. i mean i figured he was since most villians in these movies are, but i didn't remember him or anything.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Criticism of movie Mandarin based on how different he was from comic book Mandarin makes me laugh. Exactly 0.0000000000135% of people who saw the move actually read the relevant comic book (on ATOT more like 90%), therefore they don't care about the differences and they will tell their friends how great the movie was and it will make dump trucks full of money. Were they supposed to spend forever explaining crash landed aliens from planet Whothehellcares and their magic rings just to make internet nerds happy?

I thought it would have been nice, because The Mandarin seemed like a far more compelling villain than Stane, Whiplash or Hammer did in the previous movies. Killian just wasn't that interesting, and his role as a baddie just seemed way too obvious given what they show you right at the beginning.

In regard to magic, Kevin Feige mentioned the other day that they're pretty serious about adding in Doctor Strange as a Phase 3 movie. Doctor Strange has quite a bit of powers! Here's a summary of them that I pulled from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Strange#Powers_and_abilities
Strange draws power from several mystical entities, such as the Vishanti (Hoggoth, Oshtur, and Agamotto) and the Octessence (Balthakk, Cyttorak, Farallah, Ikonn, Krakkan, Raggadorr, Valtorr, and Watoomb). These entities usually lend their power to a particular effect, such as the Crimson Bands of Cyttorak, which are used by Strange to entrap foes.

Strange can use magic to achieve virtually any effect he desires, such as flight, immortality, energy blasts, teleportation, astral projection, telepathy, the creation of materials such as food and water, creating planet-wide protective shields, restoring himself from bodily destruction, resurrecting the dead, stopping and reversing time, sealing black holes, restoring universes, absorbing enough power to unconsciously destroy galaxies, growing to the size of and merging with universal concepts, and co-operatively channeling the mass of the entire Marvel Universe.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
saw the movie monday night. thought it was better than IM2, but only slightly. A solid 'meh' for IM3. Didn't like that whole plot twist with the mandarin (not talking about them changing the Mandarin from the comic books)

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

Totally right.. that would have been so much more confusing than the DNA overwriting virus thing that makes people over heat and blow up or sometimes breath fire...

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
The trailer had me excited because there were some powerful scenes that suggest Tony Stark might actually face his greatest challenge yet and danger would present itself to him and everyone he holds dear, that overcoming adversity within & without is what required to beat his foes. I was rather disappointed after seeing the movie. No matter what happened Stark was quick with the jokes/quips. No real urgency or despair because every situation seems to be treated with comedic jest. I couldn't believe that even without his armor, Stark could just waltz about without much care. No matter the odds or how powerful his enemies, it seems he knew there's no challenge since the situation (no matter how dire) would present him a way out. Enemies that could obliterate him or tear him in half are met with smugness and quips. After the 1st movie it's all downhill.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
It held my attention, had lots of super futury/impractical technology and nifty effects, and stuff blew up. (Sweet Jesus...why do I never bring earplugs to movies on my less-than-annual trip to one?)
Kind of predictable though, and light on suspense.
And, just a general comment: A large explosion near anyone will cause severe burns, just because of the intense infrared thrown off. Heroes of course are exempt from this rule.

- Guy shows up who has motivation to hate Tony Stark, and has a henchman with him. Hmmm....yeah, this is probably the bad guy.

- Tony Stark's fancy house is blown up near the start of the movie. I figure that nothing really bad will happen, since the movie would be pretty dull if the main character either dies or is rendered comatose at the start of the movie. (Though that hasn't stopped some movie makers from trying something along those lines.)
So not much suspense there.

- His girlfriend falls a long way into a fire, after he tries to rescue her from the injection that gave a lot of other people the ability to survive long falls and exposure to fire and explosions. "She'll be fine," was my thought.
Yup.

- Oh wow, that villain can sure beat up that suit just by making it really hot. (That same suit which can take a hell of a lot of abuse somehow can't handle temperatures of a few thousand degrees. Kay.) Oh wait, he's got a few dozen spare suits that can show up and act by the control of a sophisticated AI.
It's as suspenseful as starting out Super Mario Brothers with 42 Luigis by your side, each of which can also serve as an extra power-up.

- Recharge the suit with the power feed to a garage? That suit looks like it would have some insane power requirements. I hope he left a check for that kid so he can pay their electric bill that results from him maxing out their main feed for quite a few hours.

ForeSHADOWING. I think that implicit in that is the idea that it is indeed something "shadowy" - that it's something subtle, in the background, so you end up looking at it in retrospect, and marvel at the writer's cleverness.
This foreshadowing may as well have had a narrator explaining it.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I thought it was good. It's a movie sheesh.

i was not happy with the "twist" though.

Mr. Pedantic

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2010
*sigh*

I've never seen a single truly technically correct movie outside of the military genre, and even there such things are rare.

It's freaking Iron Man and you're expecting realism? Check out the source material: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mFynq0uTT0

Well, I can forgive artistic license. For example, I expect movies to have explosions in space, because it gives a better experience. But some of the things in the movie were strange and they could have not been without changing any of the experience at all.

The one that stuck out most in my mind was how the suit could accelerate at such a high rate under water and with so much water actually inside the suit. In fact, I think it would have been a lot more dramatic to show the suit visibly struggling to move out of the water and into the air, to show how much damage blowing up his house actually did.

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Just saw it last night. I really like Iron Man so it's hard to hate the movie but lots of plot issues make me just think WTF ? I had lots of issues with the movie.

I read up on the Extremis storyline before watching the movie so I would have some idea of what was going on. I expected Tony to get his @ss kicked and then need to take a modified version to Extremis to survive, just like the comic. Nope. In fact Pepper gets it given to her instead?? Really, WTF?

Making the Mandarin a puppet, a joke, was well, another WTF issue. The Mandarin was a serious threat to Tony in the comics. To turn any villian into a joke is just pathetic and I wish they had not done that. I think Marvel sold out to make sure China wasn't pissed, at least that's how I see it.

Tony blows up all his suits? WTF? It's all over?

Then at the end Tony gets his arc reactor taken out and he tosses it into the ocean? WTF?

Sure, later it says that Tony Stark will be back, but not Iron Man specifically. Is Marvel's plan to just have Tony be sort of a ring leader for the Avengers, and he never suits up again? I don't like how they are setting things up here. His suits and arc reactors are gone.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Just saw it last night. I really like Iron Man so it's hard to hate the movie but lots of plot issues make me just think WTF ? I had lots of issues with the movie.

I read up on the Extremis storyline before watching the movie so I would have some idea of what was going on. I expected Tony to get his @ss kicked and then need to take a modified version to Extremis to survive, just like the comic. Nope. In fact Pepper gets it given to her instead?? Really, WTF?

Making the Mandarin a puppet, a joke, was well, another WTF issue. The Mandarin was a serious threat to Tony in the comics. To turn any villian into a joke is just pathetic and I wish they had not done that. I think Marvel sold out to make sure China wasn't pissed, at least that's how I see it.

Tony blows up all his suits? WTF? It's all over?

Then at the end Tony gets his arc reactor taken out and he tosses it into the ocean? WTF?

Sure, later it says that Tony Stark will be back, but not Iron Man specifically. Is Marvel's plan to just have Tony be sort of a ring leader for the Avengers, and he never suits up again? I don't like how they are setting things up here. His suits and arc reactors are gone.

Well, they kind of hinted he was going to "start from scratch".

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001

snip

snip

My biggest issue with the Mandarin twist is the plot twist they forced in there. I'm OK with the guy not exactly being the comic version, with the rings and all.. but I didn't understand why they went with turning him into nothing more that a joke. He was seeded in the first movie, and should have tied the series together.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I finally finished the Ultimate Spider-Man omnibus the other day, and something dawned on me... the current comic book movies really aren't as good as they could be. The biggest problem is that while Marvel loves to tout that it has the "Marvel Universe", their movies are still separated by featuring one singular hero. In the comics, it isn't that uncommon to have another hero join in for a few issues to help tackle a problem. In a way, I think that really helps solve a stagnation problem as while characters are interesting, sometimes it's more fun to have great cameos. A good and logical cameo can also help allow the writer to insert dramatic tension where you truly think the main character is done for. As a bit of a side note... who doesn't want to shout, "HELL YEAH!" when an awesome character shows up in the nick of time? It's somewhat cliché, but if it's done well, it can still be exciting.

There's one teensy-weensy little problem though... Marvel licensed off a bunch of characters before they really started making movies. These characters in the comics are so ridiculously intertwined that it seems rather odd to not see certain heroes around. For example, from a legal perspective, it's understandable by Spider-Man wasn't in The Avengers, but from a story perspective, it doesn't make that much sense. Peter Parker is from Queens, and he's also a good friend of Tony Stark. I haven't read a ton of their comics, but in The Civil War, Tony was more of a really good friend and quasi father figure to Peter. You'll never see this in the movies because Marvel can't talk about the majority of the characters from Spider-Man (there's an actual list that I've seen somewhere...). The Fantastic Four are also based in Manhattan, but Marvel doesn't have access to any of those characters as well.

In a way, maybe I was a bit tired of Iron Man 3, because it was really just more of the same, and by "the same", that includes some of my complaints about the first two persisting.

Tony threw away the arc reactor that was in his chest because he no longer needed it to keep the shrapnel from his heart.

I saw Tony destroying his suits as more symbolic than anything. He was showing that he's over the mental anguish caused by the attack in New York. However, Tony in the comics never stops tinkering with new things.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I finally finished the Ultimate Spider-Man omnibus the other day, and something dawned on me... the current comic book movies really aren't as good as they could be. The biggest problem is that while Marvel loves to tout that it has the "Marvel Universe", their movies are still separated by featuring one singular hero. In the comics, it isn't that uncommon to have another hero join in for a few issues to help tackle a problem. In a way, I think that really helps solve a stagnation problem as while characters are interesting, sometimes it's more fun to have great cameos. A good and logical cameo can also help allow the writer to insert dramatic tension where you truly think the main character is done for. As a bit of a side note... who doesn't want to shout, "HELL YEAH!" when an awesome character shows up in the nick of time? It's somewhat cliché, but if it's done well, it can still be exciting.

There's one teensy-weensy little problem though... Marvel licensed off a bunch of characters before they really started making movies. These characters in the comics are so ridiculously intertwined that it seems rather odd to not see certain heroes around. For example, from a legal perspective, it's understandable by Spider-Man wasn't in The Avengers, but from a story perspective, it doesn't make that much sense. Peter Parker is from Queens, and he's also a good friend of Tony Stark. I haven't read a ton of their comics, but in The Civil War, Tony was more of a really good friend and quasi father figure to Peter. You'll never see this in the movies because Marvel can't talk about the majority of the characters from Spider-Man (there's an actual list that I've seen somewhere...). The Fantastic Four are also based in Manhattan, but Marvel doesn't have access to any of those characters as well.

In a way, maybe I was a bit tired of Iron Man 3, because it was really just more of the same, and by "the same", that includes some of my complaints about the first two persisting.

Tony threw away the arc reactor that was in his chest because he no longer needed it to keep the shrapnel from his heart.

I saw Tony destroying his suits as more symbolic than anything. He was showing that he's over the mental anguish caused by the attack in New York. However, Tony in the comics never stops tinkering with new things.

right. Also in the IM comics he has started over a few times. so it's not like they are going away from the comics.