Iraq's central bank torches Saddam notes

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
linkage

Iraq's central bank fired up its furnace yesterday and consigned thousands of banknotes bearing the smiling face of Saddam Hussein to the flames ahead of a massive currency swap to start next week.

Deputy Central Bank Governor Ahmed Salman Mohammed said the bank had already absorbed a "good portion" of Saddam banknotes still in circulation and would carry on with the systematic destruction in coming weeks.

Iraqis have three months from October 15 to swap the estimated four trillion dinars of Saddam banknotes in circulation for new bills bearing pictures of an ancient Babylonian ruler and a 10th century Iraqi mathematician.

Tripleshot

Elite Member
Jan 29, 2000
Interesting development. I wonder if that will bring Saddam out of hiding? Our troops sure haven't found him yet.

Very puzzling.:confused:

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Just an aside.. I hate the new 20. looks frenchish to me.

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Zebo
Just an aside.. I hate the new 20. looks frenchish to me.

As long as they keep greenback on the most used bill.....hmmm... is that twenty?

ReiAyanami

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2002
they shouldn;t burn the despicable saddam bux, they should hand one to every american as a souvenoir considering we paid $87 billion of ours...

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
That brings up something that I always wonder about.

If a nation has the resources, wouldn't they resort to make fake currencies? One would think that Saddam and other rogue nations can make a very good copy of US currrencies....

Or that our policy includes printing their money to disrupt their economy...