Iraqis rally against 'terrorism'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Wheezer
I believe this is nothing more than a protest facilitated by the CIA in the same way they are working to promote pro-democracy protesting in iran.
So basically these people have no need, want or desire to have thier own democracy? Why not? Are you saying they are dumb? That the ONLY reason they are protesting is because we tell them to? Or maybe, just maybe due to opportunites some have had in this country, they have been given the ability to go back to these countries and take with them the knowlege that they can make a change for the better IF they wish. They take back with them ideas that they liked and would like to see implimented where they live. Sounds to me like you are short changing these people. just a thought.

In my reference to the cia trying to influence pro-democracy sentiment in iran (in order to unseat the current ruling party), I meant to draw a parallel between the way the cia tries to influence sentiment towards the US's position, and how its very possible this rally in iraq could have been influenced the same way, by the cia's efforts towards influencing public opinion towards our administrations stance.

Doesn't it sound strange, when anti-american sentiment towards the occupation is spreading throughout iraq, you have a couple hundred people in baghdad protesting against "sadaam loyalists" and "alqueda"? I'm very skeptical of that because it sounds too much like it is towing this administrations line again, when it doesn't appear to be the full or true picture of whats happening and where the hostilities lie imo.

I don't underestimate the desire for the iraqi's to have democracy in general (altho according to this article, there was nothing mentioned about it being a pro-democracy rally). In fact iraqis imo would like to have more of a democracy in iraq than the US would like to see in iraq.

In particular, I'm referring to the shiites which make up 60% of the population, that a democracy would probably make them the dominant ruling party in Iraq. The shiites would like for none of the constitution to contradict anything that islam teaches. I don't believe our administration really wants the shiites to dominate the government, and some, including the kurds, are very fearful of the shiites controling iraq.

It will be very interesting how it plays out, but these are some of the reasons I have a hard time believing in the credibility of this rally.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jjsole
I believe this is nothing more than a protest facilitated by the CIA in the same way they are working to promote pro-democracy protesting in iran.
So basically these people have no need, want or desire to have thier own democracy? Why not? Are you saying they are dumb? That the ONLY reason they are protesting is because we tell them to? Or maybe, just maybe due to opportunites some have had in this country, they have been given the ability to go back to these countries and take with them the knowlege that they can make a change for the better IF they wish. They take back with them ideas that they liked and would like to see implimented where they live. Sounds to me like you are short changing these people. just a thought.

In my reference to the cia trying to influence pro-democracy sentiment in iran (in order to unseat the current ruling party), I meant to draw a parallel between the way the cia tries to influence sentiment towards the US's position, and how its very possible this rally in iraq could have been influenced the same way, by the cia's efforts towards influencing public opinion towards our administrations stance.

Doesn't it sound strange, when anti-american sentiment towards the occupation is spreading throughout iraq, you have a couple hundred people in baghdad protesting against "sadaam loyalists" and "alqueda"? I'm very skeptical of that because it sounds too much like it is towing this administrations line again, when it doesn't appear to be the full or true picture of whats happening and where the hostilities lie imo.

I don't underestimate the desire for the iraqi's to have democracy in general (altho according to this article, there was nothing mentioned about it being a pro-democracy rally). In fact iraqis imo would like to have more of a democracy in iraq than the US would like to see in iraq.

In particular, I'm referring to the shiites which make up 60% of the population, that a democracy would probably make them the dominant ruling party in Iraq. The shiites would like for none of the constitution to contradict anything that islam teaches. I don't believe our administration really wants the shiites to dominate the government, and some, including the kurds, are very fearful of the shiites controling iraq.

It will be very interesting how it plays out, but these are some of the reasons I have a hard time believing in the credibility of this rally.

Unless it is bad news, i doubt many here will beleive it.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: charrison
Originally posted by: jjsole
In my reference to the cia trying to influence pro-democracy sentiment in iran (in order to unseat the current ruling party), I meant to draw a parallel between the way the cia tries to influence sentiment towards the US's position, and how its very possible this rally in iraq could have been influenced the same way, by the cia's efforts towards influencing public opinion towards our administrations stance. Doesn't it sound strange, when anti-american sentiment towards the occupation is spreading throughout iraq, you have a couple hundred people in baghdad protesting against "sadaam loyalists" and "alqueda"? I'm very skeptical of that because it sounds too much like it is towing this administrations line again, when it doesn't appear to be the full or true picture of whats happening and where the hostilities lie imo. I don't underestimate the desire for the iraqi's to have democracy in general (altho according to this article, there was nothing mentioned about it being a pro-democracy rally). In fact iraqis imo would like to have more of a democracy in iraq than the US would like to see in iraq. In particular, I'm referring to the shiites which make up 60% of the population, that a democracy would probably make them the dominant ruling party in Iraq. The shiites would like for none of the constitution to contradict anything that islam teaches. I don't believe our administration really wants the shiites to dominate the government, and some, including the kurds, are very fearful of the shiites controling iraq. It will be very interesting how it plays out, but these are some of the reasons I have a hard time believing in the credibility of this rally.
Unless it is bad news, i doubt many here will beleive it.

If its the truth people will believe it, however if they don't, its no excuse for lies to be perpetuated.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Those who participated in this protest were brave because I'm sure they will be marked as Pro Americans by the insurgents and could be singled out for retribution. That probably is the reason that there were only hundreds who participated instead of the thousands who protest the occupation.