Iraqis rally against 'terrorism'

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
linkage

Hundreds of Iraqis have marched in the capital, Baghdad, to protest against "terrorism" and continuing violence.
Among the demonstrators were relatives of some of those killed in recent bombings in Baghdad and elsewhere.

There was a heavy Iraqi police presence as the protesters marched through the city centre, with American military helicopters hovering overhead.

In the latest attack, a US soldier was killed when rebels shelled a military base in the northern town of Mosul.

"Yes to Iraq, no to terrorism," chanted protesters, who gathered at Baghdad's al-Firdos square.

Heavily armed Iraqi police accompanied the rally

Three empty coffins adorned with Iraqi national flags were brought to the rally to honour civilian victims of attacks by militants.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
That's cute but means nothing. Until you get the shiites, former baaths, kurds etc together to seriously agree on a government, you risk civil war or the country being broken up into a few pieces.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jjsole
That's cute but means nothing. Until you get the shiites, former baaths, kurds etc together to seriously agree on a government, you risk civil war or the country being broken up into a few pieces.

Oh, so what you really mean is, protests only count when they are anti-american.

Your true colors are showing today.

CWRMadcat

Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: charrison

Oh, so what you really mean is, protests only count when they are anti-american.

I fail to see where jjsole was implying that protests only count when they are anti-american, I think you're jumping to conclusions.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: CWRMadcat

I fail to see where jjsole was implying that protests only count when they are anti-american, I think you're jumping to conclusions.

Well how did you read?

Thats cute, but that means nothing.

But every antiamerican protest is trumpeted by jjsole.

BaliBabyDoc

Lifer
Jan 20, 2001
Cheers to embracing political rallies against oppression and aggression in all it's forms . . . I wonder how many rallies against occupation charrison has posted?!

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
Cheers to embracing political rallies against oppression and aggression in all it's forms . . . I wonder how many rallies against occupation charrison has posted?!

How many should i need to post. If I did not post good news, no good news would be posted.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Originally posted by: jjsole That's cute but means nothing. Until you get the shiites, former baaths, kurds etc together to seriously agree on a government, you risk civil war or the country being broken up into a few pieces.
Oh, so what you really mean is, protests only count when they are anti-american. Your true colors are showing today.

One small step for mankind, yet another giant leap for charrison.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jjsole That's cute but means nothing. Until you get the shiites, former baaths, kurds etc together to seriously agree on a government, you risk civil war or the country being broken up into a few pieces.
Oh, so what you really mean is, protests only count when they are anti-american. Your true colors are showing today.

Not really for someone who has read your previous posts.

So can you admit this protest is just as important as other protests that have occured in Iraq. If you can I will retract my statement.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Not really for someone who has read your previous posts. So can you admit this protest is just as important as other protests that have occured in Iraq. If you can I will retract my statement.

I believe this is nothing more than a protest facilitated by the CIA in the same way they are working to promote pro-democracy protesting in iran.

We demand that all criminals, whether they are Saddam [Hussein] loyalists or al-Qaeda members, be chased and tried for their crimes against the Iraqi people

This quote in itself sounds very suspiciously american, or perhaps shiite, those who have the most to gain politically by the discrediting and isolating the former baaths as the culprits.

There apparently is much more resistance than just the old loyalists and new alqueda, where the current biggest threat to the country is a growing national resistance. Fundamentally I don't believe this addresses the immediate 'unitarian' needs of the population, and sounds more of a self-serving protest to address our administrations political needs at home, and not in iraq.

Or just call me highly skeptical.

miguel

Nov 2, 2001
I'll have to say that you seem to read too much into it and that you are highly skeptical. But hey, more power to ya!

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Not really for someone who has read your previous posts. So can you admit this protest is just as important as other protests that have occured in Iraq. If you can I will retract my statement.

I believe this is nothing more than a protest facilitated by the CIA in the same way they are working to promote pro-democracy protesting in iran.

We demand that all criminals, whether they are Saddam [Hussein] loyalists or al-Qaeda members, be chased and tried for their crimes against the Iraqi people

This quote in itself sounds very suspiciously american, or perhaps shiite, those who have the most to gain politically by the discrediting and isolating the former baaths as the culprits.

There apparently is much more resistance than just the old loyalists and new alqueda, where the current biggest threat to the country is a growing national resistance. Fundamentally I don't believe this addresses the immediate 'unitarian' needs of the population, and sounds more of a self-serving protest to address our administrations political needs at home, and not in iraq.

So you are sticking to, only those protests that are anti-american are valid.

Looks like there is no need for a retraction on my part.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

Looks like there is no need for a retraction on my part.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000

If you want to quote what people say, its preferable to use the /quote tags over the exact text so it doesn't look like you're making anything up on your own.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

If you want to quote what people say, its preferable to use the /quote tags over the exact text so it doesn't look like you're making anything up on your own.

Well you said this protest was not valid because it was sponsered by the cia.

Or am i incorrectly reading what you said?

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
its good to know they can protest. hopefully the real peace movement inside iraq grows.

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

Huh? I'd like to know how you came up with that comment from jjsole's post.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: Tabb

seems pretty clear....

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999

So basically these people have no need, want or desire to have thier own democracy? Why not?

Are you saying they are dumb? That the ONLY reason they are protesting is because we tell them to?

Or maybe, just maybe due to opportunites some have had in this country, they have been given the ability to go back to these countries and take with them the knowlege that they can make a change for the better IF they wish. They take back with them ideas that they liked and would like to see implimented where they live.

Sounds to me like you are short changing these people. just a thought.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: BaliBabyDoc
How many should i need to post. If I did not post good news, no good news would be posted.
Sounds like your beef is with the administration . . . and the turrurrist . . .

rolleye.gif

Tab

Lifer
Sep 15, 2002

seems pretty clear....

Wow, so you knew that jjsole was going to say that?
rolleye.gif
It seems rather murky to me.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

seems pretty clear....

Wow, so you knew that jjsole was going to say that?
rolleye.gif
It seems rather murky to me.

Yes I did. I have read enough of jj`s posts to know how feels on the subject. And it appears i was not wrong.