"Iraq will be a combat zone for some time."

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
"As we receive actionable intelligence, we strike hard and with lethal force," Lt. Gen. David McKiernan, the U.S. ground forces commander in Iraq, said in a briefing yesterday. "Iraq will be a combat zone for some time."

U.S. troops strike at Saddam backers

rolleye.gif

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
It ain't Disneyland over there. This is going to go on for a long time. We are already knee deep in sh!t and we can't leave now or we'll track it in the house. The longer we stay the more resentful the Iraqis will be, but the quicker we leave the more chaotic their country will be. We aren't getting much out of this, except for some great country songs by Toby Kieth, cheaper oil, and a region minus one dictator. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. :p

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: ConclamoLudus
It ain't Disneyland over there. This is going to go on for a long time. We are already knee deep in sh!t and we can't leave now or we'll track it in the house. The longer we stay the more resentful the Iraqis will be, but the quicker we leave the more chaotic their country will be. We aren't getting much out of this, except for some great country songs by Toby Kieth, cheaper oil, and a region minus one dictator. I'm getting a headache just thinking about it. :p

Well, I agree it ain't Disneyland. And it'll be a long time with little to gain.

As far as country music, I'm not a real fan. And IMO we've only replaced one dictator with another. Also the price of oil has just reached a new high.

What was the point of this excercise? WMD?

It's just another foreign policy failure with negative consequences for us all.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: BOBDN

Well, I agree it ain't Disneyland. And it'll be a long time with little to gain.

As far as country music, I'm not a real fan. And IMO we've only replaced one dictator with another. Also the price of oil has just reached a new high.

What was the point of this excercise? WMD?

It's just another foreign policy failure with negative consequences for us all.

The point is to salvage what little we can...learn...move on...

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001

Well WE won't get much benefit, but the executives at companies like Haliburton and MCI/Worldcomm who are getting contracts awarded to them are making quite a few bucks

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
Originally posted by: lozina

Well WE won't get much benefit, but the executives at companies like Haliburton and MCI/Worldcomm who are getting contracts awarded to them are making quite a few bucks

That's true. Industry is having a field day garnering government contracts for their new found wasteland that needs to be rebuilt using US dollars.

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
Of course the US got alot out of this. They now have a strategic place in the Middle East to put as many military bases they want. There's your "real purpose".

Alistar7

Lifer
May 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Czar
kinda like Afghanistan

yeah it sucks to be a girl there, now they have to go to school again and can actually recieve medical care.........

oil at a new high? gas prices here in SC have been stable, still around 1.25 a gallon, where they fell as soon as the war ended, meaning Haliburton is making even less money per barrel than before the war with Iraq......

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

Wag
Golden Member

06/13/2003 11:25 AM (NEW!)

Of course the US got alot out of this. They now have a strategic place in the Middle East to put as many military bases they want. There's your "real purpose".

Reply Quote Top Bottom Edit

Alistar7
Diamond Member

06/13/2003 1:42 PM (NEW!)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
kinda like Afghanistan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

yeah it sucks to be a girl there, now they have to go to school again and can actually recieve medical care.........

oil at a new high? gas prices here in SC have been stable, still around 1.25 a gallon, where they fell as soon as the war ended, meaning Haliburton is making even less money per barrel than before the war with Iraq......

Edited: 06/13/2003 at 1:42 PM by Alistar7

I would agree a stronghold in the middle east was a goal, although a rather imperialist goal.

As for being a girl there I wouldn't know. I haven't been there. I did however read that Iraq was a secular state. Not an Islamic state like Iran. Perhaps you confused the two. I also read that Iraq had free education. And healthcare.

Although the gas prices in your neighborhood I read just yesterday per bbl oil prices are at their highest level this year.
Maybe the oil companies got their lag time reversed.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Okay scratch the Toby Keith, I'm not a country fan either, and I guess the oil prices are debatable, all we have left for sure is a region minus one dictator. Although everyone is going to jump in now and say that we got rid of one to replace it with another, I think that remains to be seen. Anybody who expects Iraq to be better off within the next year or two are going to be predictably disappointed. There are more options now, things can get even worse, but if we work at it right they can get a hell of a lot better than pre-war Iraq. At least there are options for Iraq's direction at this point.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Okay scratch the Toby Keith, I'm not a country fan either, and I guess the oil prices are debatable, all we have left for sure is a region minus one dictator. Although everyone is going to jump in now and say that we got rid of one to replace it with another, I think that remains to be seen. Anybody who expects Iraq to be better off within the next year or two are going to be predictably disappointed. There are more options now, things can get even worse, but if we work at it right they can get a hell of a lot better than pre-war Iraq. At least there are options for Iraq's direction at this point.

And one way to do it right is to allow the Iraqis to choose their leader. We will only be pouring buckets of gasoline into the fire if we go hand picking who will run their country. That contradicts what we're supposed to stand for.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

There are always options.

Would you agree the people best left to judge whether or not they're better off would be the Iraqis? Now and in the future? And not just some Iraqi mouthpiece. The Iraqi people.

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: lozina

And one way to do it right is to allow the Iraqis to choose their leader. We will only be pouring buckets of gasoline into the fire if we go hand picking who will run their country. That contradicts what we're supposed to stand for.

Agreed. The problem is the pendulum will most likely swing in the other direction but on the same line, away from secular dictatorship, to an Islamic dictatorship. I have a feeling this will be biting us in the @ss for a while. We need a moderate person in power over there but hand-picking him isn't the classiest idea :)

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Lucky
Also the price of oil has just reached a new high.

And how exactly does Iraq figure into this?

Read Conclamodus' post above my reply. I was responding to it.

I understand who you were replying to. I'm having a hard time figuring out why you brought oil into the conversation, and how our occupation of iraq has anything to do with high oil prices right now.

Czar

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Alistar7
kinda like Afghanistan

yeah... read up on the news please, Afghanistan is in total chaos, countless of schools for girls have been burned down and basicly outside of the capital its even worse than before

flavio

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999

I understand who you were replying to. I'm having a hard time figuring out why you brought oil into the conversation, and how our occupation of iraq has anything to do with high oil prices right now.

Conclamodus brought oil into the conversation.

Do you need some coffee or something?

ConclamoLudus

Jan 16, 2003
I was just sarcastically saying that one of the positives of Operation Iraqi Freedom was going to be cheaper oil prices. Somebody said oil is at an all time high. Someone else said no it isn't. And I said its debatable. And then there was some chatter about who said what and how. Now I am confused and I'm going home. :p

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002
I missed his oil reference! :confused:

IMO the bottom line is the invasion of Iraq made an Islamic state more likely.

That makes everything more difficult. Including trying to keep it from happening.

Zrom999

Banned
Apr 13, 2003
The best thing the US can do is restore the Ba'ath party to power. This would guarantee the prevention of another Iran situation. The US could allow the survivors of the old gov't to choose another leader, and allow them to rebuild the country with US and UN help. That is the only way the US is going to get out of this. The way they are conducting things now is just going to cause problems in the future.

Bthon

Jun 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Zrom999
and allow them to rebuild the country with US and UN help.

I think we have seen how much respect the US has for the UN. They might "allow" the UN to help in some extent, but dont look for Bush to hand over control of Iraq anytime soon, especially to a group he so easily dismissed.

BOBDN

Banned
May 21, 2002

I didn't bring oil into the conversation. ConclamoLudus did. I read in last week's business section oil had reached a new high at $31.xx per bbl.