Iran uses its homemade rods in nuclear reactors

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
A few days ago the president of Iran said he was going to make an announcement.

Here it is.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-17041135

Tehran says it has used domestically-made nuclear fuel in a reactor for the first time, and also unveiled more efficient enrichment centrifuges.

Looks like Iran is not backing off its nuclear program.

More bad news
The government unveiled the "new generation" of faster, more efficient uranium enrichment centrifuges at its Natanz facility in the centre of the country.

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I was really hoping you meant fuel rods people made at their houses. This thread disappoints.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
I think we should welcome them into the nuclear club. The US should then send them a nuclear attack plan on how a small portion of the US nuclear arsenal could knock the entire country of Iran into the stone age. Make sure to include pretty graphs showing estimated casaulties and over-pressure rings.

MovingTarget

Diamond Member
Jun 22, 2003
Honestly, I have no problem with Iran having its own fuel cycle provided that it is monitored for NPT compliance. As long as we can verify/track the fuel it uses, then there is no threat. Unfortunately, we cannot currently do this.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I might also note that the newly fueled nuclear reactor is capable of generating significant electrical energy while falling short of being full bore plutonium breeder reactor which requires 30% U 235 enrichment. As Iran has claimed their 20% U 235 enrichment reactor is intended for breeding medical use radioactive elements instead. But still the Iranian semi breeder reactor only becomes a danger to world peace in two years or so and not now. And if Iran agrees to let the USA process the spent fuel rods the danger to world peace falls to near zero.

But still if Iran wants to get a nuclear electric plan going, they are going to have to start building a large number of light water reactors which only require 3-10% U 235 enrichment and have almost zero weapon grade plutonium breeding potential. The main thing IMHO, is to keep Iran working within the IAEA guidelines.

Last edited:

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
But still if Iran wants to get a nuclear electric plan going, they are going to have to start building a large number of light water reactors which only require 3-10% U 235 enrichment

Could 3-10% U 235 enrichment be used in a dirty bomb?

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Could 3-10% U 235 enrichment be used in a dirty bomb?

I am pretty sure they have had the capability to make a dirty bomb for quite some time.

Edit: Wouldn't simply possessing a nuclear fuel rod give you the ability to make a dirty bomb? Sorry, nuclear physics isn't my cup of tea.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I am pretty sure they have had the capability to make a dirty bomb for quite some time.

Edit: Wouldn't simply possessing a nuclear fuel rod give you the ability to make a dirty bomb? Sorry, nuclear physics isn't my cup of tea.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pardon me Darwin3333, if you admit total ignorance of nuclear Physics. how can you contribute rational insights on this thread?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Even depleted uranium rounds are already dirty bombs...

Fact. The US military fired those things all over the country. Years later we realize they're hazardous, but have no idea where they all are. Oops.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pardon me Darwin3333, if you admit total ignorance of nuclear Physics. how can you contribute rational insights on this thread?

Hey fucktard, what he said was totally accurate, they can make a dirty bomb. You claim to be an expert in everything and contribute nothing to any thread so shut your god damn mouth.

Doppel

Lifer
Feb 5, 2011

What did you write your dissertation on when getting your doctorate in nuclear physics? We are all here to spread and gain information.

RU482

Lifer
Apr 9, 2000
Fact. The US military fired those things all over the country. Years later we realize they're hazardous, but have no idea where they all are. Oops.

interesting....I'd love to see some resources to back up this info (not being sarcastic, just interested)

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005

Doppel asks -- What did you write your dissertation on when getting your doctorate in nuclear physics? We are all here to spread and gain information.

Yes--Please tell us......inquiring minds want to know.....

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
:
Originally Posted by Lemon law View Post

As Nebor responds with, Hey fucktard, what he said was totally accurate, they can make a dirty bomb. You claim to be an expert in everything and contribute nothing to any thread so shut your god damn mouth
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rather than respond in kind Nebor, some knowledge of basic nuclear physics is at the heart of the entire Iranian ambition to go nuclear.

On one hand, UN doctrine says any nation on earth has the right to explore and exploit the peace time uses of nuclear power to generated electricity. And the proper route to go through is by following IAEA guidelines. And that Iran has been indeed doing.

On the other hand, any nation willing to exploit nuclear energy for peacetime electrical power generation also can utilize that same technology TO ALSO GAIN THE POTENTIAL TO MAKE ATOMIC WEAPONS.

And without a rudimentary understanding of nuclear physics at even the high school level , its impossible to determine which route Iran wants to pursue. But hint, the fast way to become a nuclear weapons power is to use breeder reactors to generate large quantities of weapons grade plutonium from spent fuel rods. So who control the spent fuel rods and the Iranian reactor designs chosen are better predictors of Iranian nuclear weapons potential. Or maybe we should better trust Israel who has become a nuclear power by passing the IAEA on the sneak to generate large quantities of weapons grade plutonium.

As for you Nebor, I will consider you more credible when and if you can start to win in Afghanistan. Until then, Nebor, maybe you should be the one to shut up. Meanwhile point granted, depleted Uranium, aka as U238 is mildly radioactive, but riddle me this, why should Iran lob depleted Uranium at Israel, when they could better use 10 or 20%
U235 enriched Uranium to deliver by convention rockets. After all it weighs the same, but U235 is orders of magnitude more effective in a dirty bomb.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
interesting....I'd love to see some resources to back up this info (not being sarcastic, just interested)

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/fact-sheets/fs-license-app-du.html

I took part in the national research effort regarding those m101 marker rounds. Approximately 40,000 of them are entirely unaccounted for, and that's in addition to the thousands that we know were fired into training areas. The end result is that over half of the CONUS Army bases are currently off limits to high explosive munitions for fear of blasting DU up into the atmosphere. Since the Army isn't licensed to deal with DU anymore, discovery of the M101s has resulted in huge tracts of Army land being seized by the DoE. It's a huge cluster fuck, with no end in sight. :\

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
:
Originally Posted by Lemon law View Post

As Nebor responds with, Hey fucktard, what he said was totally accurate, they can make a dirty bomb. You claim to be an expert in everything and contribute nothing to any thread so shut your god damn mouth
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rather than respond in kind Nebor, some knowledge of basic nuclear physics is at the heart of the entire Iranian ambition to go nuclear.

On one hand, UN doctrine says any nation on earth has the right to explore and exploit the peace time uses of nuclear power to generated electricity. And the proper route to go through is by following IAEA guidelines. And that Iran has been indeed doing.

On the other hand, any nation willing to exploit nuclear energy for peacetime electrical power generation also can utilize that same technology TO ALSO GAIN THE POTENTIAL TO MAKE ATOMIC WEAPONS.

And without a rudimentary understanding of nuclear physics at even the high school level , its impossible to determine which route Iran wants to pursue. But hint, the fast way to become a nuclear weapons power is to use breeder reactors to generate large quantities of weapons grade plutonium from spent fuel rods. So who control the spent fuel rods and the Iranian reactor designs chosen are better predictors of Iranian nuclear weapons potential. Or maybe we should better trust Israel who has become a nuclear power by passing the IAEA on the sneak to generate large quantities of weapons grade plutonium.

As for you Nebor, I will consider you more credible when and if you can start to win in Afghanistan. Until then, Nebor, maybe you should be the one to shut up. Meanwhile point granted, depleted Uranium, aka as U238 is mildly radioactive, but riddle me this, why should Iran lob depleted Uranium at Israel, when they could better use 10 or 20%
U235 enriched Uranium to deliver by convention rockets. After all it weighs the same, but U235 is orders of magnitude more effective in a dirty bomb.

So you admit that the guy you originally insulted didn't say anything worth insulting. :rolleyes:

We know Iran wants nuclear weapons, otherwise they'd shut down their nuclear programs and let the Western world give them nuclear power plants (for free!) They think that nuclear weapons will protect them from an Iraq\Afghanistan style Western invasion. My bet is that the West hits them before they finish their nukes. Though honestly I don't see nuclear weapons such as Pakistan\North Korea\Iran can deliver as a strong deterrent. What's the worst that happens? A few thousand guys like me get erased in a flash as we charge towards Tehran? Then the entire nation of Iran gets eradicated by the West's nuclear arsenal.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As Nebor says, " We know Iran wants nuclear weapons, otherwise they'd shut down their nuclear programs and let the Western world give them nuclear power plants (for free!"

404 link to that totally not found Nebor. If that is the best logic you can generate Nebor, we are talking GIGO garbage in garbage out logic.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
It's not just the logic that's bad either, but he's wrong on the facts from the start. Nobody was offering to give Iran anything for free.

ericlp

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I could seriously care less if Iran developed their own nuke weapons and power plants. Everyone else in the middle east has em. I say the more the marryer!

Let's even out the playing field. I doubt that Iran would have much to worry about from it's shitty neighbor Israel that I personally hold no trust in.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
It's not just the logic that's bad either, but he's wrong on the facts from the start. Nobody was offering to give Iran anything for free.

That's how all these negotiations go. You give up your WMD program and we'll give you free nuclear power plants. No one ever takes the offer though because they all want nuclear bombs because they think it'll preclude a Western invasion.

Texashiker

Lifer
Dec 18, 2010
The end result is that over half of the CONUS Army bases are currently off limits to high explosive munitions for fear of blasting DU up into the atmosphere.

What about stuff like rainwater runoff?

What is to stop rainwater from bringing the contaminated dirt into streams, lakes and rivers?