Iran sanctions: Trump warns trading partners

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
US President Donald Trump has issued a strong warning to anyone trading with Iran, following his re-imposition of sanctions on the country.

"Anyone doing business with Iran will NOT be doing business with the United States," the president tweeted.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45098031

The biggest trading partner of Iran is... China! (https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irn/)
Good thing Trump hasn't been pissing them off, if he wants them to fall in line and drop a trading partner!

I hope both China and Russia announce new trading deals with Iran in the next few days, just to see Trump go back on his words yet again.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999

The biggest trading partner of Iran is... China! (https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/irn/)
Good thing Trump hasn't been pissing them off, if he wants them to fall in line and drop a trading partner!

I hope both China and Russia announce new trading deals with Iran in the next few days, just to see Trump go back on his words yet again.

I would approach that idea with caution. That would not end well for us. We don't need a strong coalition that wants us dead, forming alliances with people who are financed well enough to make it happen.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
He's already burnt all the bridges. Now he's threatening to burn them again.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
China recently stopped buying US oil. Hmm...I wonder where they will be making up the shortfall from at a discount.

Russia will still do business with Iran and the EU is implementing blocking statutes to protect their firms from US reprisal for doing business with Iran.

This isn't going to bring Iran's government to it's knees.

compuwiz1

Admin Emeritus Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
He's already burnt all the bridges. Now he's threatening to burn them again.

But how badly do we need Iran, Russia and China? I know we need China so we can have cheap shit, but what value are Iran and Russia to us?

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
But how badly do we need Iran, Russia and China? I know we need China so we can have cheap shit, but what value are Iran and Russia to us?

This represents a fundamental misunderstanding of Chinese interests. They want to realign the orbits of power and trade across the planet to their favor and we're helping them do it by alienating everybody and breaking our word.

An Iran that fully swings away from the west to them is extremely good for China and naturally bad for us.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

We don’t need trade with Iran at all but we do need trade with the EU, which Trump is threatening to cut off.

Denly

Golden Member
May 14, 2011

If learnt anything from the last 1yr and a half it is every Trump decision made benefit either China, Russia or US riches - if not all of the about. I won't be too worry about it.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016

Why are we even going after Iran? Oh. Israel. Oh Saudi Arabia. If I had to pick China Russia Iran Europe vs Israel and Saudi Arabia. I'll take the first batch.

The zionist influence in this country is amazingly high...

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Why are we even going after Iran? Oh. Israel. Oh Saudi Arabia. If I had to pick China Russia Iran Europe vs Israel and Saudi Arabia. I'll take the first batch.

I think it's less of a zionist thing, and more of a "they deposed our puppet, nationalized the oil we were stealing, took Americans hostage and exported Islamist jihad" thing.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
This represents a fundamental misunderstanding of Chinese interests. They want to realign the orbits of power and trade across the planet to their favor and we're helping them do it by alienating everybody and breaking our word.

Not to be pedantic, but I think they're more focused on being a regional power than a global power. They have no serious plans to build a military that can project power around the globe.

Iran is obviously not that region, but securing energy sources requires them to go a bit outside their backyard.

An Iran that fully swings away from the west to them is extremely good for China and naturally bad for us.

I agree to an extent, but I think it's worth considering what "us" means here.[/QUOTE]

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
Not to be pedantic, but I think they're more focused on being a regional power than a global power. They have no serious plans to build a military that can project power around the globe.

Iran is obviously not that region, but securing energy sources requires them to go a bit outside their backyard.

I agree to an extent, but I think it's worth considering what "us" means here.

Xi's goal for China is to catapult it into the preeminent world power first economically, then politically, and finally militarily (if required). Belt and Road a big step in that direction since the goal is to reorient trade for like 2/3rds of the planet into China's orbit. Trump's playing right into his hands by antagonizing long time allies and essentially neglecting the rest of the world with his dumbass "America First" policies.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorian Gray

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Along with the Evangelical Christians hoping for the end times.

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
I think it's less of a zionist thing, and more of a "they deposed our puppet, nationalized the oil we were stealing, took Americans hostage and exported Islamist jihad" thing.

Well, the jihad thing is kinda Saudi Arabia rather than Iran. It's the Saudi government that threatens Canada with its own 9/11 because they dared speak out for human rights: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-45091907
Not to mention that SA didn't want to help Iraq against IS, but Iran did come when the Iraqis asked.