iPod woes.

minus1972

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
Alright...I'll try to do this without letting my anger show through in the form on nonsensical, vulgar rambling. This morning, after charging my iPod for four hours last night, I get about fifteen minutes of music out of the thing when it shuts off. I take it out of my pocket and the screen is off...so I hit the scroll wheel to get the menu back up. Instead of a menu all I get is a folder with an '!' next to it, and then the apple logo comes to the screen and is the only thing I can get. Has anyone had this problem...it happened on the first iPod I got, but I returned that one because the battery was defective. I'm not using any third party software, and the iPod was just formatted two days ago. Please help before I go insane with this thing...

minus1972

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
Originally posted by: mpitts
How old is it?

Call Apple. They will either fix it or replace it for you.

brand spanking new. This is the second one I've had though...might try to return it at best buy first.

athithi

Golden Member
Mar 5, 2002
There's one other trick that I was able to find only at the Apple support site (the guys at the Apple store weren't aware of it either).

Reboot the iPod by pressing and holding the Menu and Play/Pause buttons for a few seconds. Then when you see the Apple logo come on, immediately press and hold the Rewind and Forward buttons for a few seconds. This apaprently resets the iPod in some other manner. I had this happen to my V2 iPod when I did a software update to 1.2.6 and this was the only thing that fixed it. Good luck anyways!

mudkiller

Dec 31, 1999
my ipod is nearly a year old and it happened to me once before... rebooting did the trick...