Ipod Nano vs. Nano 2nd Gen

A Tree

Aug 1, 2006
So I'm planning on purchasing an iPod soon. I intend on buying an iPod Nano. First or second gen depending on the answer I receive, since the 4GB model for either is the same price, and I don't really care what the finish is like.

So, I was in Best Buy today, and I tried out the 2nd Gen iPod. The wheel felt sorta weird to me. Now, I've never used an iPod before, so I have no idea what the wheel SHOULD feel like. My question is whether or not the 1st and 2nd gen iPods share the same wheel. It felt pretty weird that the button in the center pushed in so far, so I'm wondering if the 1st Gen Nano is the same.

Thanks for the help.

Darthvoy

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2004
they are the same, but I would get the second gen because it has better specs and it is not made of plastic like the first gen

A Tree

Aug 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Darthvoy
they are the same, but I would get the second gen because it has better specs and it is not made of plastic like the first gen

Aight. I was definitely getting a second gen if the wheel was the same due to the 14 vs. 24 (approx) hour battery lives.

As for you funboy, I'm not going to lose it since I know how to keep my ****** straight. :)

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: A Tree
Originally posted by: Darthvoy

Aight. I was definitely getting a second gen if the wheel was the same due to the 14 vs. 24 (approx) hour battery lives.

As for you funboy, I'm not going to lose it since I know how to keep my ****** straight. :)

Not if you got kids like I do that like to misplace stuff :p

HN

Diamond Member
Jan 19, 2001
actually, isn't the center button slightly different between 1st and 2nd gen nano?
on 1st gen, the button is convex (slightly raised); 2nd gen, it is slighly concave. something about minimizing accidental pushes.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
I haven't tinkered with a 2nd Gen Nano yet (but I'm going to get my hands on one and make a video out of it soon enough)

I think the second gen ones are much more durable, have better logic boards which translates into better battery life, and they're overall much better looking.

I get a lot of 1st Gen nanos in with damaged lcd screens and logic boards because the backplate is pretty flimsy on them and is easily damaged.

amgkid

Sep 12, 2000
I opted for the 2 gig nano (1st gen) refurbed at apple.com for 99 bucks. If they are the same price though, it's a no brainer to get the 2nd gen.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
i dont think you can go wrong with either of them, personally i prefer the 2nd gen. Less scratching FTW! :)

MazerRackham

Diamond Member
Apr 4, 2002
I have a 8GB 2nd gen nano and it's AWESOME. I am using the Nike+iPod kit and it's been great. Once calibrated, the Nike+ sensor is way more accurate than my Garmin Forerunner 301 (and yes, that's without any overhead obstructions too).