Question iPod Classic 6th Gen ("7th Gen"/MC297) - What material is used for the metal back plate?

LMacs

Feb 11, 2020
Hi All,

Firstly - didn't find a 100% fit category for this thread, please, to those who can, feel free to move the thread to a better location if there is one.

Hoping someone can provide me with what specific material the metal back plate of the iPod Classic (Model MC297) is made from - i.e Some Alluminium Alloy, Chrome Plated, Stainless Steel? And in each case what grade or category the material is - i.e 301 grade Stainless Steel, V1341 Alloy etc.

So far I haven't been able to find much on the material specifications of this part - so any help would be great.

And FYI - Specific material specs are "required" as I'm trying to customize the back plate through some process like heat treatment of anodization/dyeing.

Thanks in advance,
L.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I'm about 99% sure that it is stainless steel, but that's all I know about it. This was back before they started overtly touting the specific alloys they were using.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
It's stainless steel, hence why it's shiny and scratches if you so much as sneeze at it. :p The biggest material change in the iPod classic was moving to aluminum for the front.