Iphone X Face ID.. can you fool it with a photo?

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
So iphone X is gonna have Face ID. Can't you fool that by holding a portrait photo of the owner in front of it? Also, why no Touch ID on the back? Seems a very flawed concept.

MagnusTheBrewer

IN MEMORIAM
Jun 19, 2004
So iphone X is gonna have Face ID. Can't you fool that by holding a portrait photo of the owner in front of it? Also, why no Touch ID on the back? Seems a very flawed concept.
That would be purchasing it in the first place.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
But am I correct Face ID can be tricked like that? Why hasn't this been pointed out more?

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Apple says there face Id is near foolproof. As for touch id, Apple couldn't get it to work below the screen so they probably deemed it not necessary. Like last year headphone jack, which coincided with their wireless pods. Can't wait to see what they'll say you don't need next year.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
You'll have to wait until the release to find out how foolproof FaceID is. You know people will try to break it.

According to the rumors, Apple tried (and tried) to get TouchID to work underneath the glass but could not get it working reliably enough to be able to mass produce.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
But am I correct Face ID can be tricked like that? Why hasn't this been pointed out more?

Obviously not. Have you read anything about how it works? I suggest that first. How would a 2D photo fool a 3D scanner? Ridiculous question to be honest. If the question were regarding 3D sculpted masks it would entertain discussion.

omega3

Feb 19, 2015
How is that obvious? How are you so sure a "3D scanner" can't be tricked by an enhanced picture or a (moving) image of you on a tablet/PC?

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
How is that obvious? How are you so sure a "3D scanner" can't be tricked by an enhanced picture or a (moving) image of you on a tablet/PC?

It is obvious. It measures depth. I suggest doing some basic reading. No offense. Think about the difference between an X-ray and a CT. Also look up how a Kinect works.

Trumpstyle

Jul 18, 2015
You can't fool it with Picture or high quality hollywood mask according to apple. But we ofc need to w8 for reviews to confirm.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Identical twins can unlock each other's phones:

A manual defeat for FaceID has been found, for the cost of $200:

1. 3D mask (stone powder)
2. Printed 2D eyes from infrared images

http://www.bkav.com/d/top-news/-/vi...d-do-not-use-face-id-in-business-transactions

Spoofing TouchID isn't hard either. The hacker who did it originally has also been able to recreate famous people's fingerprints based on publicly-available high-resolution photos:

https://arstechnica.com/information...erprint-reproduced-using-photos-of-her-hands/

Security is scary.

Reactions: Nashemon

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Identical twins can unlock each other's phones:

A manual defeat for FaceID has been found, for the cost of $200:

1. 3D mask (stone powder)
2. Printed 2D eyes from infrared images

http://www.bkav.com/d/top-news/-/vi...d-do-not-use-face-id-in-business-transactions

Spoofing TouchID isn't hard either. The hacker who did it originally has also been able to recreate famous people's fingerprints based on publicly-available high-resolution photos:

https://arstechnica.com/information...erprint-reproduced-using-photos-of-her-hands/

Security is scary.

The same thing I said about fooling fingerprint readers applies to Face ID, though. If someone has the will and means to create a mask just to bypass your phone's Face ID, you have much bigger problems than whether or not they might read your text messages.

Many people forget that biometrics aren't necessarily meant to be more secure than a password -- they're meant to be more convenient than a password without reducing security. Treat it accordingly and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Red Storm

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
The same thing I said about fooling fingerprint readers applies to Face ID, though. If someone has the will and means to create a mask just to bypass your phone's Face ID, you have much bigger problems than whether or not they might read your text messages.

Many people forget that biometrics aren't necessarily meant to be more secure than a password -- they're meant to be more convenient than a password without reducing security. Treat it accordingly and you'll be fine.
This.

Unfortunately Face ID or Touch ID by themselves are not 100% ideal. Having both (fingerprint sensor beneath the display) would be the best setup, and I hope Apple does eventually go that route, but I doubt it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
This.

Unfortunately Face ID or Touch ID by themselves are not 100% ideal. Having both (fingerprint sensor beneath the display) would be the best setup, and I hope Apple does eventually go that route, but I doubt it.

I suspect Apple would see having both as redundant, and I wouldn't blame it. Better to pour that energy into perfecting Face ID than giving the impression that Touch ID is needed as a backup (not to mention the physical design constraints an under-glass reader requires).

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I suspect Apple would see having both as redundant, and I wouldn't blame it. Better to pour that energy into perfecting Face ID than giving the impression that Touch ID is needed as a backup (not to mention the physical design constraints an under-glass reader requires).
I don't see how they can though, I routinely have to put in my passcode because of two situations: phone on desk, and not looking directly at phone. Both of these scenarios are faster and more efficient with fingerprint sensors. Not to mention that while Face ID is neat, it's also definitely slower than fingerprint unlock.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I don't see how they can though, I routinely have to put in my passcode because of two situations: phone on desk, and not looking directly at phone. Both of these scenarios are faster and more efficient with fingerprint sensors. Not to mention that while Face ID is neat, it's also definitely slower than fingerprint unlock.

Well, this is part of why I mentioned refining Face ID. Make it faster (remember how Touch ID got much faster with the iPhone 6s?), widen the recognition angles, that sort of thing. It's never going to be flawless, but it could be improved to the point where early pain points become relatively minor.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000