Iphone went through the washing machine - it still works!

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
So, last week I accidentally left my IPhone in my pants pockets, and put it in the washing machine. Didn't realize it was in there till the spin cycle. When I pulled it out, it was powered off.

I put it in front of a hair dryer for a few hours, then in a bag of rice for about a day and a half, and now all is well (except for maybe 3 pixels that are extra bright). The IPhone is certainly well built.

My question is: Do I have to worry about chemicals/minerals in the water causing corrosion?

Should I give it a distilled water bath, followed by alcohol or leave well enough alone?

hiromizu

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
I would send a product appraisal letter to Apple and get that published. Apple will make a story out of it and send you a new one.

Otherwise avoid alcohol as it will dry the face out and make it look older.

UnatcoAgent

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Originally posted by: hiromizu
I would send a product appraisal letter to Apple and get that published. Apple will make a story out of it and send you a new one.

Hehe!

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: hiromizu

I would try and do this. Even though it's working now, I feel confident you'll have problems with it shortly.

darkxshade

Lifer
Mar 31, 2001
To clean Apple products, one should use apple juice. Distilled water and alcohol won't do much good.

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
so.... Any useful advice? It's already working, I've already dried it out. What I'm worried about now is corrosion due t minerals in the water.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
The circuitry is gold, so its pretty naturally corrosion resistant. There isn't a whole lot in there that can corrode.

mrchan

Diamond Member
May 18, 2000
Originally posted by: gorcorps
The circuitry is gold, so its pretty naturally corrosion resistant. There isn't a whole lot in there that can corrode.

Awesome. That's the info I was looking for. Thanks!