iPhone users: How much "data" do you blow through in an average day?

pm

Elite Member Mobile Devices
Jan 25, 2000
It's under Settings -> General -> Usage, and then scroll to the bottom.

I have:
Sent: 8.6MB
Received: 111MB

since 7/6/09 7:30am. It's currently, 7/8/09 4:30pm.

So that's:
Sent: 3.6MB per day
Received: 46.6MB per day

That doesn't include WiFi data - just stuff over 3G and EDGE. I have push notifications off, but push mail is on, and I use my iPhone obsessively so it's probably not typical.

When I was in Europe and was paying per MB, I toggled EDGE on and off all the time, and used less than 60MB in a month.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I'm about half what pm has, but I'm not sure what date that started. A few days after 3.0 was released I guess. I use wifi like friggin mad. I'm actually kinda peeved at how much I'm paying for unlimited data and use it so little since I'm always in some sort of wifi area.

RadiclDreamer

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2004
Originally posted by: gorcorps
I'm about half what pm has, but I'm not sure what date that started. A few days after 3.0 was released I guess. I use wifi like friggin mad. I'm actually kinda peeved at how much I'm paying for unlimited data and use it so little since I'm always in some sort of wifi area.

Isnt that what those pricks @ ATT are hoping for?

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
11m sent
308m received

Originally posted by: gorcorps

i turned off wifi

no calls through wifi = no dice

pm

Jan 25, 2000
That's why I was smiling - I meant it as a joke. That said, it does actually work for incoming calls if you set it up just right and you have the phone on and skype app open. Not practical, but it does work. Might be Fring's skype client... one of the two can do this.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
Originally posted by: pm
That's why I was smiling - I meant it as a joke. That said, it does actually work for incoming calls if you set it up just right and you have the phone on and skype app open. Not practical, but it does work. Might be Fring's skype client... one of the two can do this.

I'd be thinking Google Voice for this. Phone rings, switch to the Skype app and answer it there.

pm

Jan 25, 2000
Neat idea, SunnyD.

I just switched over to Google Voice last week. I like it so far.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
Originally posted by: pm

meh

I'd rather just browse in my apartment using 3G, but I'm aware there are situations where calling through wifi would be infinitely useful

Wonderful Pork

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2005
I try and average about 1GB (gig!) per month, which works out to about 34 megs/day.

I do everything I can over 3G like stream podcasts, Pandora & NPR, surf, download app updates. The only thing I can't do over 3G is ru the remote apps for Boxee and AppleTV (cause they need to be on the same WiFi network). I figure if I'm being charged $30/month I'd might as well make the most of it. I haven't tried tethering yet though.