iPhone people I have questions I hope you can answer

Linflas

Lifer
Jan 30, 2001
Please excuse what may be basic questions but I have always avoided anything Apple however my wife is very stubborn and currently uses a Droid mini that is on it's last legs. It seems the only phone made this small is the iPhone SE. Knowing that Apple is very restrictive with certain things I have a couple of questions:
1. Can I put transfer her mp3's from her current phone and play them on an iPhone or will it only play music purchased through iTunes?
2. Can I plug it into my computer to pull pictures off of it or transfer mp3 files to it without installing iTunes?
3. Any other big pitfalls someone totally unfamiliar with the Apple universe should be aware of when making the switch from Android to Apple?

zerogear

Diamond Member
Jun 4, 2000
Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but music that isn't purchased through iTunes needs to be transferred through iTunes on the computer. They will play fine though.

Pulling photos should be fine as it connects as mtp media device with photos folder exposed.

No access to file system is the big one for me. Makes doing some things difficult.

It also disallows apps to hold a persistent connection, and times out in 10 minutes unless it's a media app, which may or may not bother you.

Maybe it might be worth a look at Sony Xperia compact line?

ChronoReverse

Platinum Member
Mar 4, 2004
The Xperia Compact phones aren't too much larger so you could go for that if you want to stay on Android. Battery life is excellent too (the iPhone SE has amazing battery life).

As for your questions:

1) You can put in MP3's
2) You need iTunes or else it's all cloud (e.g., Dropbox)
3) If you use SMS, be aware that once you're tied into iMessages, you have to be careful when trying to disconnect and going back to Android

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
I use Google Play Music. I upload songs once and they are available on all of my devices.

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
I use Google Play Music. I upload songs once and they are available on all of my devices.
iTunes Match works on the same premise.

Definitely check out the Xperia Compacts. I had a z3c for a while, and it was fantastic hardware. I couldn't adjust to Android, so I ultimately got rid of the phone, but seriously the hardware was great.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
iTunes Match works on the same premise.

Definitely check out the Xperia Compacts. I had a z3c for a while, and it was fantastic hardware. I couldn't adjust to Android, so I ultimately got rid of the phone, but seriously the hardware was great.
Really? I have never used iTunes Match so I don't know how it works, but with Google Play Music you manually upload your music, and it could be lectures and whatnot as well, and then you can access it from the web or any device be it Android or iPhone through the app. How would an Android device access iTunes Match?