iPhone on Page Plus

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
One of my co workers has an iPhone 4 on Page Plus for $45/month.

I've been looking at doing that, but this is the first I've heard/seen it working, all the folks that have tried it say that Verizon has the SN/IMEI numbers in a database and have them blocked.

I called up the guy that set it up, he says he'll sell me a new CDMA iP4 for $500 haxxored to Page Plus, unlimited voice & text with 300MB data (not enough). Am almost tempted, but an going to do used iP4's on Straight Talk unlimited talk, text, web for $45/month)...

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
ST option is better

I bought one of the Nokia e71's refurbd from st that has the special sim needed but have not been able to port over the past two days, some system error. A friend has that sim and phone and I put it in a Captivated and it worked great. Blackberries do not work with data, email ect though. that is very disappointing

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
ST option is better

I bought one of the Nokia e71's refurbd from st that has the special sim needed but have not been able to port over the past two days, some system error. A friend has that sim and phone and I put it in a Captivated and it worked great. Blackberries do not work with data, email ect though. that is very disappointing

Yep, have one iP4 bought, looking for another, will be picking up a couple of refurb Nokias from ST, and plan on buying a year's worth of service for $499 for my daughter and her BF.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
I had an iP4 on ST for a few months. Works fine. AT&T's network sucks, but that's not the fault of Apple or ST.

Eventually switched to a Moto Atrix 4G on ST. Network speeds are typically 3x as fast as they were on the iP4, and GApps are much better on Android. The phone was also $200 less off-contract.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I had an iP4 on ST for a few months. Works fine. AT&T's network sucks, but that's not the fault of Apple or ST.

Eventually switched to a Moto Atrix 4G on ST. Network speeds are typically 3x as fast as they were on the iP4, and GApps are much better on Android. The phone was also $200 less off-contract.

Yeah,if it was for me, I'd do the Atrix too, but the kids want iPhones, they're both music majors in college, so ALL of their friends use iPhones and docks, etc...

I'd likely go with an Android phone on Page Plus, slower, but better coverage, especially at work, we have a CDMA microcell on the roof (or tower or something, not exactly sure what)... Will suffer along with my TBolt I guess till the iPhone gets LTE, maybe next year...

Were you able to get MMS working?

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
How hard is it to get phones working on pp and what is the cheapest plan you can have with a blackberry?

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
I called up the guy that set it up, he says he'll sell me a new CDMA iP4 for $500 haxxored to Page Plus, unlimited voice & text with 300MB data (not enough). Am almost tempted, but an going to do used iP4's on Straight Talk unlimited talk, text, web for $45/month)...

I've heard of that being done, and there is a guy on my local Craigslist that says he can do it.... despite being officially banned on Page Plus. I'd like to know what the trick is with that because I'm sure the ESN would be rejected, and even if you did get one in somehow it could be subject to deactivation in the future. What is the deal with the 300 mb data plan? I'm guessing that it is the new plan that hasn't been released yet?

Personally I am using the iphone4 on straight talk and it is awesome... in my area the AT&T coverage has been just as good as Verizon and the data speed slightly better.

After some thought I decided that it was better to go the gsm route because with Verizon iphone there are no options really in prepaid. Well, there is Nation PCS and ACRS but those plans are 65 and 70 a month, respectively, and there is no porting in of any numbers, and customer service is basically non-existent, I don't know of anyone actually using them, or if it actually works.

On the other hand, with a gsm iPhone, at least you can go to h20 wireless for $60 a month unlimited if the Straight Talk sim card stops working for some reason, and I know there are other AT&T mvnos that you could probably use the iPhone on, not to mention T-Mobile.

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004
ST option is better

What system error did straighttalk get?

I am trying to activate a refurbished e71 too and they don't know what to do. Their customer service is terrible. Mine originally came with the wrong sim, so I had to get a new one. Then, 2 weeks later I tried to activate the phone with the new sim card and port my number. The guy said he has to send me a another new sim card. I got a new sim card and tried calling them to activate again, they want to send me a new sim card again (a third one). They say they get an error and the system tells them to send me a new sim card. I don't think they know how to activate a phone, they just keep sending cards out.

I can't activate on the website because it says service unavailable in my zip code, but I ordered my phone from their website using that same zip code and it worked fine.

I can't believe the hassle of trying to activate a phone on ST. If I can't get the CS to port my number I'm just going to give up with straighttalk.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
How hard is it to get phones working on pp and what is the cheapest plan you can have with a blackberry?

Its easy to get phones working provided they are smartphones... if it is a feature phone it may need some programming to make mms and web work.

I'm not sure you can have a blackberry due to reasons which I'm not clear on, but something to the effect of Page Plus not licensing a BIS/BES server, and alternately I've heard they banned them due to not working with their billing system properly but I might be wrong on that.

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I've heard of that being done, and there is a guy on my local Craigslist that says he can do it.... despite being officially banned on Page Plus. I'd like to know what the trick is with that because I'm sure the ESN would be rejected, and even if you did get one in somehow it could be subject to deactivation in the future. What is the deal with the 300 mb data plan? I'm guessing that it is the new plan that hasn't been released yet?

Personally I am using the iphone4 on straight talk and it is awesome... in my area the AT&T coverage has been just as good as Verizon and the data speed slightly better.

After some thought I decided that it was better to go the gsm route because with Verizon iphone there are no options really in prepaid. Well, there is Nation PCS and ACRS but those plans are 65 and 70 a month, respectively, and there is no porting in of any numbers, and customer service is basically non-existent, I don't know of anyone actually using them, or if it actually works.

On the other hand, with a gsm iPhone, at least you can go to h20 wireless for $60 a month unlimited if the Straight Talk sim card stops working for some reason, and I know there are other AT&T mvnos that you could probably use the iPhone on, not to mention T-Mobile.

Was wrong about that, I guess it's only 200mb...

I'm thinking they got some gray market CDMA iPhones that weren't intended to be sold in the US, so Verizon doesn't have the IMEI/ESN's

Did you get MMS working?

Last edited:

ImDonly1

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2004

According to howardforums users, people are saying that h2o wireless is throttling data speeds to 250-500 kbps. Which is why they advertise it as unlimited because it is so slow. Your experience might be different. Att does the same thing with the gophone.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
Was wrong about that, I guess it's only 200mb...

Did you get MMS working?

As of right now the Unlimited plan is only 20 mb of data...

Whereas the 1200 TnT plan gave 100 mb so all the unlimited plan people complain about it constantly.

I haven't got mms working yet... Unfortunately I upgraded to 4.3.5 and now I'm stuck with a tethered jailbreak and I'm not terribly happy with that. Apparently I need to purchase tetherme which I haven't done yet.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
According to howardforums users, people are saying that h2o wireless is throttling data speeds to 250-500 kbps. Which is why they advertise it as unlimited because it is so slow. Your experience might be different. Att does the same thing with the gophone.

Hmm I haven't been following that but it sounds disappointing. However, I had a VZW Iphone for a few days and in all of my speed tests the data was around that speed, even in places with a really strong signal. I don't think that the data speed on H20 would be a deal breaker if I had no other option. I'd probably choose the 50 dollar plan instead.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
One of my co workers has an iPhone 4 on Page Plus for $45/month.

I've been looking at doing that, but this is the first I've heard/seen it working, all the folks that have tried it say that Verizon has the SN/IMEI numbers in a database and have them blocked.

Don't do it. Period.

Your "haxxored" iPhone will consist of an iPhone that had an ESN number cloned from some other "donor" phone that is valid to be activated on page plus. ESN cloning is a federal felony.

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
Don't do it. Period.

Your "haxxored" iPhone will consist of an iPhone that had an ESN number cloned from some other "donor" phone that is valid to be activated on page plus. ESN cloning is a federal felony.

I had a feeling that would be the scenario...

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Will Straight Talk activate any network-compatible phone or do they have a database of IMEIs that they will activate?

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
Will Straight Talk activate any network-compatible phone or do they have a database of IMEIs that they will activate?

Only their IMEI's. You have to activate the sim card in one of their unlimited plan phones (Nokia 6790, or E71) before it will work in another phone.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Only their IMEI's. You have to activate the sim card in one of their unlimited plan phones (Nokia 6790, or E71) before it will work in another phone.
Also important to note is the fact that you cannot reactivate the StraightTalk phone while your current SIM is active.

My E71 sits in my desk drawer at home. If I were to sell it and someone else activated another SIM using that phone, my current StraightTalk SIM would be booted off the network.

SAWYER

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
The E71 is crappy, I dont see how Nokia is popular if the e71 is a good representation of their phones. Now 5 days later, still no activation on my phone an was told I have to get a new sim...WTF

Ksyder

Golden Member
Feb 14, 2006
The E71 is crappy, I dont see how Nokia is popular if the e71 is a good representation of their phones. Now 5 days later, still no activation on my phone an was told I have to get a new sim...WTF

Did you get a refurb from their site? They packaged up a ton of the wrong sim cards with the refurbished phones. I went on their facebook page where you get customer service much quicker. I had the correct sim literally the next morning. And yeah, the e71 is crappy. Its hard to believe that is the best they could come up with for a 45 dollar smartphone plan.

Occ

Nov 11, 2009
So what's the typical play for transferring to ST? For instance,

Purchase ST unlimited $45 and select free phone
Transfer current phone number over
Activate SIM in ST phone at your leisure
Swap SIM to GSM phone of choice
Good to go?