iPhone/iPad disconnects from tether wifi

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
There is a really annoying thing with pretty much all apple devices, where if you tether to another device sharing the internet, you will get disconnected immediately if you dont use the network for more than just 3-5 minutes.

I looked everywhere for a solution, but I don't see anything helpful and hoping someone can help.

In my particular case, the device sharing the internet is an iPhone 6S and the devices connecting are iPhone X, iPad and a Galaxy Note 10 Plus. (not all at same time off course.)

The issue is definitely on the device connecting, NOT on the device sharing. I know this, because my Galaxy Note 10+ stays connected to the 6S pretty much permanently, once tethered, and will only rarely disconnect for whatever reason. VERY rarely.

The apple devices, disconnect from tether in a matter of mere minutes. This is ridiculous. Does anyone know of a solution?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Do they reconnect automatically (but with a delay, obviously) when you wake them up or try to do internet things? I _think_ I've noticed this behavior on my own iDevices, but usually I only tether very briefly so I can accomplish one thing.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Do they reconnect automatically (but with a delay, obviously) when you wake them up or try to do internet things? I _think_ I've noticed this behavior on my own iDevices, but usually I only tether very briefly so I can accomplish one thing.

Sometimes, yes. But most of the time, no.

mrochester

Aug 16, 2014
iOS devices will disconnect from a tethered internet connection where the device sharing the internet is also an iOS device, after a period of inactivity.

In iOS 13 Apple introduced a setting where you can force the iOS device to remain connected to your hotspot and to auto-connect to that hotspot when it is in range. It is on the device you want to remain connected that you set this up and I believe it has to be tethered for the settings to appear in the personal hotspot menu.

Last edited: