iphone advice

Julia5

Apr 25, 2018
Hello,

So I currently have an iphone 5 (I know I'm not up to date) I decided to buy a new one because its lagging a lot and the memory is not enough. Should I go for iphone 8,8+ or X?

p.s I feel like 8+ is too big and not practical

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
The 8 an X are roughly the same size, but the X has a taller, crisper display. They are effectively the same width.
The 8+ and X both have a dual camera system, but both of the X's cameras are optically stabilized, whereas only the wide-angle camera on the 8+ is stabilized. They also both have 3GB RAM, but the 8+ is physically wider and supports landscape orientations and layouts in many apps.

If you're the type to keep your phone for many years, then I'd recommend the X. Yes, it's more money, but it's a really solid phone that has most of the advantages of both the 8 and 8+ and few of the downsides.

Alternatives:
1: There's supposed to be an SE2 in the works, which will be the same size as the iPhone 5 that you're used to, but with upgraded guts. I'd expect an a11 SOC and 2GB RAM.
2: If you don't keep your phone for years and years, then I'd recommend the 7 or 7+. The A11 is nice, and is the fastest SOC Apple makes, but the A10 isn't exactly a slouch, and the 8 isn't a HUGE step over the 7.

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Unless you want to learn new swipes in lieu of a button I would get either the 7 series or the 8 series. No real reason to spend much more on an X unless you really want that portrait mode. Or like TheStu says, wait to see what the SE2 has to offer. I hear its a glass back for wireless charging and that it retains the headphone jack and bumps up the ram.

Julia5

Apr 25, 2018
Thank you. Yes I usually keep my phone for long periods until its no longer functioning. Is it just the camera and the screen that X has advantages over 8?

TheStu

Moderator<br>Mobile Devices & Gadgets
Sep 15, 2004
Thank you. Yes I usually keep my phone for long periods until its no longer functioning. Is it just the camera and the screen that X has advantages over 8?
Also...
FaceID (one can debate the pros/cons of FaceID as compared to TouchID)
More RAM (3GB vs 2GB)
Better (a little) battery life

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Since you’ve already waited this long, I’d really suggest waiting another 4 months for the new models.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a price reduction in whatever replaces the X. Plus there are also rumours of a new LCD model with Face ID. Also, the 8 may be kept in the lineup, but at a cheaper price.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Since you’ve already waited this long, I’d really suggest waiting another 4 months for the new models.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a price reduction in whatever replaces the X. Plus there are also rumours of a new LCD model with Face ID. Also, the 8 may be kept in the lineup, but at a cheaper price.

It varies from year to year, but for the IPX pre orders started October 27th and people started getting their phones in early November, and those were the 3AM ET people. I'm guessing most people got their phones in mid to late November.

Hoping that the new phones are a little earlier this year as I'm limping along with an iPhone 6.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
It varies from year to year, but for the IPX pre orders started October 27th and people started getting their phones in early November, and those were the 3AM ET people. I'm guessing most people got their phones in mid to late November.

Hoping that the new phones are a little earlier this year as I'm limping along with an iPhone 6.
Yeah, but the iPhone 8 was available mid-September 2017, and prices on the 7 / 7 Plus dropped right away too.