iPhone 7, What's the point of pre-ordering.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Ordered the Matte Black on pre-ordering launch night and I'm still waiting for the damn thing. They just shipped it as a matter of fact. Meanwhile, I can walk into any store and buy the freaking phone outright and they're in stock.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
I received my silver 7 Plus on launch day because of pre-ordering. They were unavailable for walk-in purchases on launch day.

The new colours each year are always hardest to get, and this year the Plus was the hardest to get also partially because it's got so much more than the 7.

phillyman36

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2004
I pre ordered my phone and got it yesterday. There are about 3-5 stores near me and none of them had the one i want. Black 256 GB version. If i didnt pre order it i would still be waiting.

swanysto

Golden Member
May 8, 2005
My wife and I both got Matte black on launch as well. The first two places I went to only had Rose Gold and Gold in the version I wanted though. If I had wanted a plus model, I would have only had the option of silver or rose gold.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I pre ordered my phone and got it yesterday. There are about 3-5 stores near me and none of them had the one i want. Black 256 GB version. If i didnt pre order it i would still be waiting.

I pre-ordered the matte black 256GB about 3 hours after pre-orders went live, and I got mine less than a week after the official release. That was through Verizon, so I'm not sure if other carriers were more supply constrained.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
You'll have your phone in a day or two, availability is hard to predict, the 7's availability has been good, the 7+ not so much. Many are going with a 7+ this year which is a little unusual.

I think Apple was trying to really control inventory, and didn't anticipate the demand accurately, and I think they're trying to reduce the lines and scalping which has generate some bad press, particularly in Asia.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Well I ordered the Matte black 256gb (not the glossy one) on launch night and I'm still waiting until tomorrow. Meanwhile, my fiance just literally strolled into best buy and buy one without a single issue.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I pre ordered mine mid day on pre order day (9/9), and my wife's the day after (both 7 128gb matte black). They both arrived on the same day from different carriers (UPS & FedEx) on 9/20. This was through Verizon.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
You'll have your phone in a day or two, availability is hard to predict, the 7's availability has been good, the 7+ not so much. Many are going with a 7+ this year which is a little unusual.

I think that's because the 7+ is the flagship iPhone, and a lot of people want all the stuff.

I have no idea when I'm getting my 7+ through work. Was trying it out at Best Buy the other day, not a fan of the solid home "button" with the faux press feedback. I guess it's a stopgap until they get the fingerprint sensor embedded beneath the display, but I don't get the point in putting any money/R&D into developing that if you're just gonna go with the embedded sensor with the next version.

... Unless that means the 8 won't have an embedded sensor, and that would suck.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
Ugh...first time ever since I've owned an iPhone where I'm not impressed and actually is going to return the iPhone (7) and keep the older one (6s). There's no noticeable speed difference and the 7 feels like a cheaper phone when the whole screen vibrates/rattle due to the volume.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Was trying it out at Best Buy the other day, not a fan of the solid home "button" with the faux press feedback. I guess it's a stopgap until they get the fingerprint sensor embedded beneath the display, but I don't get the point in putting any money/R&D into developing that if you're just gonna go with the embedded sensor with the next version.

It kind of bothered me at first, but I think after about a week or two, I'm pretty used to it. It's really not a big deal at all for me anymore. I'll admit that there are also times where the haptic feedback actually makes it feel a bit like a normal button... as odd as that sounds.

Kazukian

Platinum Member
Aug 8, 2016
Ugh...first time ever since I've owned an iPhone where I'm not impressed and actually is going to return the iPhone (7) and keep the older one (6s). There's no noticeable speed difference and the 7 feels like a cheaper phone when the whole screen vibrates/rattle due to the volume.

Yes, it's really not a must upgrade from a 6+, more of a 6 or earlier kind of upgrade.

I wouldn't have, but the deals were too good.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
I like to listen to stuff in the background while browsing or using other apps...with the iPhone 7, the whole screen annoyingly vibrates/rattles if the volume is up. This is extremely annoying and I personally feel like it's a cheap Chinese knock-off phone.

HexiumVII

Dec 11, 2005
I like to listen to stuff in the background while browsing or using other apps...with the iPhone 7, the whole screen annoyingly vibrates/rattles if the volume is up. This is extremely annoying and I personally feel like it's a cheap Chinese knock-off phone.

Darn I sold my 6 plus travel phone and looking to replace it with a 7, but it just has so many knocks against it. No headphone jack is a dealbreaker as i lose my heaphones a lot and ordered a dozen Xaoimi $2 heaphones to put everywhere. The home button feels like crap...has no feel. The haptic feels real stupid like a ball knocking back and forth. Now it rattles too? I just got an Air 2 because my air 1 died and thought it was broken speakers, but thats how they are! WTF i can't hold this crap while playing music? WTF apple! Jobs is rattleling in his grave right now.

Noo

Oct 11, 2013
It doesn't rattle but the whole phone vibrates due to the volume/dual speakers. Imagine if you have the phone in your pocket, it will constantly feels like you're getting a text message

Oyeve

Lifer
Oct 18, 1999
Weird. All of my users who ordered the ip7 in various sizes and colors got them day before launch. It was through VZW corporate tho. maybe corporate accounts get before you regular peons.

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
The 6s is fast but for surfing the 7 (Plus in my case) is definitely faster.

But yeah, I would never have upgraded from the 6s to the 7. Seems pointless overall, aside from the improved wide gamut screen. The 7 Plus is another matter though.

Darn I sold my 6 plus travel phone and looking to replace it with a 7, but it just has so many knocks against it. No headphone jack is a dealbreaker as i lose my heaphones a lot and ordered a dozen Xaoimi $2 heaphones to put everywhere. The home button feels like crap...has no feel. The haptic feels real stupid like a ball knocking back and forth. Now it rattles too? I just got an Air 2 because my air 1 died and thought it was broken speakers, but thats how they are! WTF i can't hold this crap while playing music? WTF apple! Jobs is rattleling in his grave right now.
My iPad 2 doesn't have the same vibrations that my iPad Air 2 does, but the iPad 2 is noticeably quieter than the iPad Air 2, and is also heavier.

For the 6s vs. 7, the 7 is louder.

Lyfer

Diamond Member
May 28, 2003
I really really did not want to upgrade. But Verizon was doing the $650 promo service credit for a an IP6 trade in. Picked up my 7 matte black 128gb and wife had pre-order her Rose Gold 7+ 256gb which wont ship till November.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Everyone gets the 7 on launch. It's the plus you need to wake early and order early to get on launch day. Basic production economics. Sure they could buy the capacity to supply everyone on launch day but then the capacity will go idle for the next 6 months. No company is going to do that.

As for rattling there is no rattling in my case, but two speakers that go pretty loud are going to cause vibration. I know an ideal speaker enclosure is not supposed to vibrate and some speakers cost thousands to do that. They are made of thick aluminum or even concrete in one case and lined with thick bituminous fiberglass. But in a phone I think most people would prefer the space be used for the battery. They can't really repeal the laws of physics in making these phones. If they are smart maybe they even designed it to resonate to increase bass perception.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I preordered mine to take advantage of the $450 trade in credit Verizon was offering on the existing iphones on my lines. Basically made it a buy one get one free type of deal. Don't mind the wait because of that.