iPhone 5 on its way - some accessory questions

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
I have an iPhone5 (black, 32GB) on its way also and had questions regarding protection:

I tend to take my devices and be rather rough with them. My older devices tended to be rather rugged (particularly my iPhone 3G) but after taking my Galaxy Nexus to the beach a few times, i think sand grains were still in my pocket - the screen got rather scuffed after a while.

Is the iPhone 5 screen 'scratch prone'? If so, can anyone recommend some minimalist cover (like the superthin plastic if that helps) for the screen?

Also, is the 'scuffgate' a YMMV situation, or do the iPhone 5 users on this board also protect the back/sides of the device? I have never used protective covering for any of my phones before, and would rather not with the iPhone 5 - so if you're using one without a cover and also tend to be rather rough with your phone I would like to hear from you, too.

I've never really understood the "scuffgate" thing. Anodized aluminum looks great, but it's highly scratchable. That should be expected. I keep mine in a Belkin Grip Candy Sheer Glow/Blacktop case. It protects all-around and still feels really slim.

The iPhone 5 screen may be scratch-prone. I'm not sure. The iPhone 4 screen was chemically-hardened ("Gorilla Glass") and was nearly un-scratchable. I noticed some very faint scratches on the lemon iPhone 5 that I had to replace (suddenly stopped working while charging). I still don't use a screen protector with mine. The raised edge on my Belkin case is good enough for me.