ipconfig /renew -- something not on a socket

ActionJ

Jul 26, 2001
Hi,

I was trying to let my 2nd pc share the dialup from the 1st pc. But not having much success. Both system is w2k pro, and I connected them using a crossover cat5 cable. I could see the files just fine from both pc, but can't get the 2nd pc connected. I've tried using the "ICS" internet connection function that is available from the dialup property, and I have also tried 3rd party softwares winroute/soho connection. (soho connection used to work fine when i was on cable). None of the above method works now. When I tried to do a ipconfig /renew on my 2nd pc, it gave me an error message: An operation was attempted on something not a socket" and I wonder what's that mean and how to fix that. Any one know? plz help.

ActionJ

Jul 26, 2001
The first 2 links you gave, are the basic, and as I said, I have tried them and it didn't work. Thanks anyway.
The 3rd link is technically, but it basically talks about the same thing, and it didn't answer why i can't share.

ActionJ

Jul 26, 2001
Thanks for that link, its a good one.
But that's not the one i am looking for.
Actually I've found the problem... a socket registry error. I found that from microsoft website, and I had to delete the winsock and winsock32 registry, now everything works