iPad backing up and restoring documents & data?

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Well, with all the sales and free apps, I'm constantly juggling space and deleting old apps to make room for new ones and sometimes just for updates. I doesn't help that some apps need 2x+ available free space to update themselves. (What happened to old-fashioned patches?)

I haven't used iCloud yet, but I understand it can backup Documents & Data for certain apps, if the app supports it. What about apps that don't support it? I'm a PC user, but have access to a mac (10.6). Can I backup and restore all app Documents & Data to iTunes on PC or do I have to use the Mac version?

Will I be able to fully delete apps from my ipad, then later re-download them from the app store and then restore just my local iTunes backups of Documents & Data (to restore saved games, etc.)? Or does iTunes sync and delete my backups when I delete the apps?

What's the best way to do this? I'm not looking to jailbreak.

vo

Golden Member
Dec 10, 2002
Once you purchase an app, it will be there in your account.
So yes, you can delete it in your ipad and later download from your account again. You are right about the data, it's not stored in your account. I am not sure about restoring from your backup to the re-download app. I have not try it yet.
FWIW, I am a PC user and Mac newbie too :0

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Thanks. My searches turned up iFunbox for Windows, which seems to do what I was looking for, though I haven't tested with a critical app. It seems to let you browse and backup all apps and/or their Documents & Data to a PC over USB without having to jailbreak.

Has anyone tried iFunbox?