iPad 4 and iPad mini user reviews (non-pro reviewers)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zink

Sep 24, 2009
The mini screen is just as good as the iPad 2 screen but shrunken slightly. I don't think you will find it less spacious than expected if you expect a "mini" tablet. 81% of the screen size with half the weight and the rest is the same as an iPad 2.

JackBurton

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
I think you will consider the iPad Mini less... spacious than expected.

I'm actually afraid I'll prefer the iPad mini's size and weight over the 4th gen iPad. If I do go with the mini though, I'm going to wait until it gets the A6X processor and retina display. Until then, the 4G iPad will do. :)

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
To be honest, I actually feel the iPad Mini is less spacious... in a bad way.

Size and weight are excellent, but something just puts me off the device. And no, it's not the screen. It's probably the fact that texts are tiny on the device... and that I actually think Apple could increase text sizes even on the full size iPad to make things more legible.

Maybe I'm spoiled by my rMBP, but... I prefer big, crisp and clear texts now... and the Mini is just... too small.

lotust

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2000
i am returning the mini (350$ with tax)and buying a ipad 1st gen 64gb (255$ shipped) for my 2 year old. I think the new mini is a waste with bad screen resolution compared to the retina products. im not impressed with the mini at all.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I went around seeing if anyone would have LTE-equipped iPads this morning, but I came up empty handed. I saw that Target had a spot in their cabinet for the 32GB variant for all three carriers, but it was empty. Perhaps that means they'll have them tonight, which means nothing since I want the 64GB model anyway. The people at Best Buy said that they have no idea when the Apple products come in unless Apple tells them, and they always come in the afternoon.

Screw the maps debacle, this lack of information on the LTE model is rather annoying. :colbert:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Note: I was able to pick one up tonight. The Verizon store and Target didn't have them, but Best Buy and the Apple Store did. Thankfully, Best Buy is one of the 5% cash back options this quarter for Chase Freedom! :D

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com
Note: I was able to pick one up tonight. The Verizon store and Target didn't have them, but Best Buy and the Apple Store did. Thankfully, Best Buy is one of the 5% cash back options this quarter for Chase Freedom! :D

I went to Best buy early this afternoon, they only had one 64GB mini in white & nothing in 4G LTE models.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
Hmm it looks like I need to buy a new case for the iPad 4. I thought my iPad 2 case would fit (the dimensions are very, very close), but apparently my case wasn't built with the right tolerances in mind. I guess that's not a huge surprise since it was made during the iPad 2 days.

Does the Smart Case slide easily against the screen? I have a cheap case from Monoprice, and one thing that I've noticed is that it's very easy to brush against the cover portion of the case and hear a ton of clicking from the iPad unlocking and locking repeatedly from the top sliding. The Smart Cover seems to have a stronger grip, which made that less likely to occur.

I went to Best buy early this afternoon, they only had one 64GB mini in white & nothing in 4G LTE models.

Honestly, I'm not too sure when the device became available. That's why I find this whole thing to be rather annoying. Apple pretty much just told us "mid-November" and never said anything else. You should never have to scour rumor sites just to figure out when a product that's already sort of been released is actually coming out. It just seems so disorganized and sophomoric, which isn't really something you expect when you think of Apple.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
i am returning the mini (350$ with tax)and buying a ipad 1st gen 64gb (255$ shipped) for my 2 year old. I think the new mini is a waste with bad screen resolution compared to the retina products. im not impressed with the mini at all.

Hmmm, so the iPad mini has a bad PPI so you return it and get a device with worse PPI. I have an iPad 1, iPad mini, and iPad 3. Honestly, I was expecting the iPad mini to have a worse display than what I saw when I turned it on for the first time. I think the screen is just fine, MUCH sharper and better than my original iPad's.

The iPad 1 is very slow compared to the mini. I would advise against getting a first gen iPad as even the most basic Core Animation games/children's apps are pretty sluggish. Also remember than the iPad 1 has practically been discontinued by apple with iOS 6 not being supported.

runawayprisoner

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2008
I think the iPad 1 would make more sense as a toy for your little one, actually.

It has more storage, so you can load it up with a lot of stuffs... like cartoons, games, etc... 16GB would fill up plenty fast since some iPad apps are pretty big in size.

And it's cheap so your conscience won't bare its teeth when the little guy breaks the tablet.

Qbah

Diamond Member
Oct 18, 2005
Went to a shop today and played with a mini and a gen 4 iPad. The mini has perfect weight and size! It felt really great in my hand - light, firm grip, easy to hold and use. However... I opened a few tabs, went to Flipboard, switched to Facebook, went back to Safari... and it had to reload the pages. I could also see this "stop" when stuff is loading (just like on my iPad2). Also, things were small on the websites and not really sharp.

Then I played with the iPad4 and wow - what a speed difference. Everything was pretty much instant, I could really tell them apart. Also everything was so crisp! But that thing is heavy... heavier than my iPad2 and that's the only thing I don't like about my iPad2.

So as soon as Apple releases gen 2 mini, I'm gonna be all over it (higher res screen so things are ultra sharp, better internals - more RAM please!!!). The weight, dimensions and how it feels in my hand is already perfect!

lotust

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2000
Hmmm, so the iPad mini has a bad PPI so you return it and get a device with worse PPI. I have an iPad 1, iPad mini, and iPad 3. Honestly, I was expecting the iPad mini to have a worse display than what I saw when I turned it on for the first time. I think the screen is just fine, MUCH sharper and better than my original iPad's.

The iPad 1 is very slow compared to the mini. I would advise against getting a first gen iPad as even the most basic Core Animation games/children's apps are pretty sluggish. Also remember than the iPad 1 has practically been discontinued by apple with iOS 6 not being supported.

So far no problems with the ipad 1 with all my 2 year olds games. Remember there not heavy on the graphics or anything. We're talking Sesame Street and Elmo here :)

I have about 20 movies on its and 20 games and its still not full. If the mini had a micro SD slot. I would be sold. Don't get me wrong. I have 2 iPhones, one itouch, and an ipad 3 32gb in the house. I just think the mini was a waste for a 2 year old. IOS obsolete or not.