ip configuration errors??? :(

captainwon

Oct 12, 1999
OK this is what is going on.
My friend has just got the @home service and I do also, but for some reason he cannot download anything from any site!
I told him to update his OS which was 98 first release and he did, and still the same problem.

I then told him to go into his msdos prompt and type in.......... ipconfig/all.....
well he did and got this error

"Cannot read ip configuration"
"IP configuration error"

SO I looked in my Networking essentials book and could not find anything anywhere, so I am asking you guys if you could help me out.

He also has an analog modem installed and can download with that modem.........But I told him to uninstall it and try that, and still no go!

superchicken

Mar 14, 2000
Sometimes the network card freaks out and you have to swap it to a different slot. I had occasional problems with my POS NIC locking up on me with a hardware IP (169.xx.xxx.xxx) I would just take it out, pop it in another PCI slot and it would work fine. And this is with a BX6-2 motherboard that 'supposedly' has that IRQ shuffling problem fixed.

Oh well. It could be other things too. My Lucent modem and NIC refused to work simultaneously sometimes as well.

That's why I got a 3COM Etherlink XL.

cz

Nov 23, 1999
I guess you friend did not install TCP/IP protocal which is must to run "winipcfg". By the way you should run "winipcfg" on Win9x and "ipconfig" on WinNT/2K.