IP address change after trip

pacsailor

Jun 6, 2016
I am having this problem for the past 6 months. Every time I away from home for a week or more my devices that I take on the trip (laptop, cell phone) do not change IP address served by the router DHCP. My router IP address is 10.0.x.x, and when I get back from a trip the devices maintain an IP address of 192.168.x.x. This causes some of the devices I have at home to change to 192.168.x.x (like my thermostat, Access Points). So I have to disconnect these devices and reboot my router several times to reset every device to get the IP address of 10.0.x.x. I recently started assigning a static address to some of my devices bu that is not helpful because there are several devices that only has DHCP.

Anyone has seen such an issue or has a tip of why this is happening?

KillerBee

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2010
It sounds like you are setting the static IPs on the devices themselves rather than through the router?

The way to do it is to reserve the IPs via the router's interface by entering the MAC address of each device and associate it with a specific IP.

This way you can still use DHCP for all devices - but they won't be randomly assigned.

I'm not sure why your router's internal IP would ever change though.
What model is your router?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Sounds like TrendNet router firmware... see if your router has a firmware update to fix that.

Ichinisan

Lifer
Oct 9, 2002
It sounds to me like you have a rogue source of DHCP on your network. 2 devices providing IP addresses via DHCP and it's a 50%/50% chance you'll get a usable IP address on your device.

Helping people over the phone, I sometimes find that another router is connected LAN-to-LAN or another NAT device (like a VoIP phone with pass-thru connections). It would be especially confusing and difficult to identify the situation if both router/NAT devices used the same subnet.