IOMEGA 1TB STORCENTER GIGABIT ETHERNET NETWORK ATTACHED STORAGE

xyyz

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2000
i'm debating on this one.

here are the specs and the link.

* 1TB (2 x 500GB SATA-II Hard Disk Drive)
* Access files from any networked PC or Mac for easy file sharing and print serving. UPnP AV media server capability included to enjoy photos, video and music throughout your office or home*
* Gigabit Ethernet connectivity with Jumbo Frame support combined with a high performance embedded architecture
* Microsoft (CIFS/SMB)
* Linux/UNIX (NFS)
* Apple (AFP) and Apple Bonjour support
* Internet (HTTP 1.1)
* FTP
* Journaling File System prevents data loss in the event of a power failure
* RAID Support: Raid 0, 1 and JBOD
* Touch-free professional-level backup and disaster recovery for all your critical data with EMC Retrospect Express backup software including disaster recovery (2 client licenses)
* Just set it and forget it - effortlessly back up files on a scheduled basis (client to network storage)
* Robust username and password authorized access
* Active Directory Support: Functions as a client member in an Active Directory domain allowing the Iomega StorCenter Network Hard Drive to utilize the domain users and groups
* Simple to use: Easy network file sharing
* Using Discovery Tool Pro, automatically configure to work with any network computer
* Management via user friendly web interface
* Compatible with today's most common backup software titles

cubeless

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2001
considering the drives are $100 apiece, $70 for a nas container ain't too bad...

looks like it's $500 everywhere else... seems pretty darn hot...

ncage

Golden Member
Jan 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Fant
Some not so great reviews on amazon

To be honest with you i don't know how much i would trust the reviews on amazon. Depending on what im looking for is depending is depending on how much i would trust the review. If i'm look for a cooking pan i would generally trust it but for computer products no way. Ive seen people pretty much say kaspersky antivirus is crap on amazon and we all know thats the farthest from the truth. A lot of people on amazon are technologically challenged and would screw up no matter what you gave them. I would trust newegg reviews more but unfortunatly there are no reviews of this unit on there. Seems awesome for the price. On a (-) i don't think you can swap out the drives with bigger ones or add more. I am building a windows home server which i think is definitely better than this but a lot more money too.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: ncage

To be honest with you i don't know how much i would trust the reviews on amazon. Depending on what im looking for is depending is depending on how much i would trust the review. If i'm look for a cooking pan i would generally trust it but for computer products no way. Ive seen people pretty much say kaspersky antivirus is crap on amazon and we all know thats the farthest from the truth. A lot of people on amazon are technologically challenged and would screw up no matter what you gave them. I would trust newegg reviews more but unfortunatly there are no reviews of this unit on there. Seems awesome for the price. On a (-) i don't think you can swap out the drives with bigger ones or add more. I am building a windows home server which i think is definitely better than this but a lot more money too.

Other sites also bash this devices performance. Technically this is one of the fastest of the bunch, but that isn't saying much

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Quadlazer
Seems pretty hot. Even a "crappy" NAS controller costs more than $70.

Indeed, for a standalone unit this offers value for the money, more so than competing standalone products as well.

I just wanted to warn people of the compromises of going with one of these.

TheOnlyBic

Jan 20, 2008
I've been debating this one also. I read the review and still can't make up my mind. Did you end up getting it?

gspyer

Jun 17, 2003
Got it. Returning.

Sometimes I think reviewers are paid by how quickly they can review anything. Oh wait, that IS how it works.

Two things the I didn't see mentioned in any of the reviews. Not only is this thing slow. It is super loud. It has a fan and nice metal case that echoes every harddisk "tick". And two... plugging in USB drives into this... well it only supports FAT or FAT32. 4GB filesize limit FTW! :)

TheOnlyBic

Jan 20, 2008
Thank your for your response. That's enough for me to make up my mind, Sometimes you just have files bigger than 4GB. I have read that it was loud from other sites, so I will take that as confirmation. Does it require drivers or software on the client machines or is it as simple as mapping to it by machine name or IP?

greg415

Jan 21, 2008
Originally posted by: ncage

Why do you think that one can't swap out the drives?