IOC liked Toronto Olympic bid.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Sweeeeeeet. Last time there were talks of this (many years ago) they were saying the soccer events would be held in my town. :D

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
no no no no no no
toroto cant even handle rush hour how can they handle the olympics?
toronto is already millions in debt and they want to build a new staidum to be used for nothing after? they want to put the gardiner underground?
the ttc is at maximum capacity.
i hate mayor mel lastman.
if toronto gets the olympics it will be the worst olympics ever.

they are very unprepared, they cant handle it.

*kat. <-- wants to write a letter to the IOC

Viperoni

Lifer
Jan 4, 2000
Gardiner underground?
Oh boy, and you thought the falling concrete was bad!
I think the olympics would be alright.
Just so long as everybody goes on scooters ;) :D

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yes, it would be PACKED and CRAMPED to say the least. It would still be cool though... I mean, I'm 1 hour away... I could go to Olympic events! :D

Hey maybe everyone in Toronto will get those two weeks off work ;)

wow, and if they do come here I'll be an old geaser at 25 years of age by then :Q

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Eakers, considering it's 6 years away, I think we can manage.

I mean we only get one chance!

syzygy

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2001
doesn't beijing have a lock on the 2008 summer olympics ? i think the olympic committee
is heavily leaning to give them the games, especially if china wins membership into the world trade organization, as they are expected to do within a year.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
ohhhh i know there will be less people in toronto in 6 years
well that solves everything.

yeah im an hour away too, but if there is a bluejays game or a leaf game then its at least 2 hours to ACC.

oh and 4 hours during rush hour.

torontos got bigger problems to solve before we get the olympics.

*kat. <-- dead against this.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I dunno, i think it would be good for Canada. Our last olympics were in like what, 1988?

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000
Parking will be reserved for participants

Personally, I'd be very happy if the Gardner went underground. Plus, Toronto definitely needs a downtown-airport rail link. That would be great.

By the way, cars are not going to be a problem for me so much - I'm within walking/biking/rollerblading distance. :D (I'm looking out the window at the CN Tower/Skydome as I type this. :)) My sis' has already taken dibs on my living room if Toronto gets the Olympics.

But I agree, the TTC will definitely need to be beefed up, and some strict rules for cars will have to be implemented to deal with the potential congestion. The benefit though is the fact that the vast majority of the venues will be within a few km of each other. That whole area can be closed off to cars in my view. Even if that meant to me that I couldn't easily drive to work for a week or two, I'd gladly take the subway during that time.

Anyways, while Beijing does have a strong bid, it would nice if the Committee did place a lot of emphasis on the soundness of the bid, because that is probably one of Toronto strengths.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
you think that only people in toronto are going to want to attend the olympics?
people will travel from all around ontario/ny/ohio to see this, the olympics is a big deal.
plus there is no parking in toronto now, where are they going to put additonal parking for people coming into the city? people are going to have to pay alot for parking (more than the 10-20 we pay now)

try driving down yonge to the gardiner say from queen in rush hour you are looking at 45 mins (non rush hour say 5 mins)

there is already a car problem in toronto.
that isnt a solution at all, its just keeping the cars outta the olympic village.

*kat. <-- would rather watch a good olympics on tv then witness the disaster that would occur if toronto got them.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I'm with eakers on this. The Olympic bid team is all talk. They're letting the TTC dwindle to the point where the TTC is being forced to revamp its entire fare structure. Yet it is the TTC and other such very basic infrastructure systems that will need to be beefed up.

And how about that athletic village...built on toxic wasteland;)

I'd prefer for us Torontonians to be a little more modest and to stop seeking the approval of the entire world. If the Olympic bid team can channel funding into improving the gridlock in the city, then by all means, bring the Olympics on. But I can't see this happening, and I'm afraid our call to attention will result in embarassment.

-GL

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
These people spend YEARS and YEARS planning this stuff out. I'm sure they have it all planned out.

If they didn't, the IOC would never grant Toronto the olympics.

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
i love toronto.
i hate mel lastman and the whole government of toronto.

*kat. <-- tired

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
yeah im sure they have it all planned out.

and they can take care of their homeless problem too.

*kat. <-- unmoved on this issue.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
These people spend YEARS and YEARS planning this stuff out. I'm sure they have it all planned out.

If they didn't, the IOC would never grant Toronto the olympics.

True. I think these guys know what they are doing. If the City is not ready for it, then we won't get the deal. Its as simple as that.

BTW eakers, I don't think any intelligent Torontonian like Mel, but too bad we're in thee minority.

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is about olympics, not homeless people. My point is, if these problems you mention really will arise then Toronto won't get the olympics. Period. Do you really think the 120 member IOC would overlook something as important as that? Who wants the olympics to be a disaster?

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
no dont you see, the IOC thinks toronto has their stuff together, there inlies the problem.

*kat. <-- wishes death the the meese (plural of moose?)

Eug

Lifer
Mar 11, 2000

<< plus there is no parking in toronto now, where are they going to put additonal parking for people coming into the city? >>

I live downtown, and I find it's fairly easy to find parking now if you're willing to pay for it. However, I often don't drive if I can help it. People coming in from out of town would be smart to take the bus in and then take public transit in town. There's not much point in having a car if you can't park at the venues anyway. And, a good benefit is that most of the venues will be VERY close to each other. (Whenever there is something like that (eg. car racing), I just take public transit. Much simpler.)

<< I'd prefer for us Torontonians to be a little more modest and to stop seeking the approval of the entire world. If the Olympic bid team can channel funding into improving the gridlock in the city, then by all means, bring the Olympics on. But I can't see this happening >>

I find one of the problems of some areas I've been is that the city often is too wrapped up in itself to realize it truly is a global village in which we live. It's hard to compete with the rest of the world if they don't even know we exist. I think it's about time we advertise ourselves and our plusses. I do agree though, one of the key aspects that needs to be addressed for a successful Olympics is simply transportation infrastructure. This is absolutely necessary and a difficult task, but one that I think can be done successfully, even with our large population.

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
no dont you see, the IOC thinks toronto has their stuff together, there inlies the problem.

Damn.., I forgot you worked for the IOC! :p

Hanpan

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2000
Well i hope toronto doesn't get it for a different reason.

So Vancouver can have it in 2010. I have nothing against toronto but I would really love to see the games in Whistler. On the other hand i'm not so sure we can handle the extra people either.

GL

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
One more gripe. Much of the service industry has really got to whip their workers into shape. When I go down to the U.S., restaurant workers, store owners and other service workers are polite, friendly and smile. In Toronto, a significant number of service workers (i.e. enough to start a stereotype) are often impolite, never smile and you can't tell if they're friendly because they are often expressionless. What's up with that?!

-GL

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
LOL SSP :D

<< wishes death the the meese (plural of moose?) >>

what's wrong with our beloved moose? have you ever ate at moose winooski's eakers? i love that place

eakers

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
ahhhh the moose, how many a night on the patio getting drunk did i spend there.

come on though realy those moose in tdot? NASTY

*kat. <-- relizes the moose apparently were good for the art community.

Z24

Oct 19, 1999
As far as transit goes, I like driving. But when I go to the Molson Indy, I park my car outside the city and take the GO Train. It is so much more convenient being dropped off at the entrance to the race, and not having the stress of finding a parking space.

I think they can do it. Also, if all the events are so close, you can use the simplest form of transportation--walking!